Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is some of the criticism you have faced from family/friends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is some of the criticism you have faced from family/friends?

I feel like criticism and LDR's almost go hand in hand with each other. Even when you don't ask for their opinion, people still give it to you. They are so quick to judge and be unsupportive. I have been told by family, I'm not close with, that my "relationship isn't real", "I don't even know him", "How can you trust someone you don't get to see more than three times a year", "How do you know he is being faithful to you", "I could never do that", "How do you know you love him".

When I have been sad after coming home from a visit I've had a few people tell me, "I don't know why you're upset and crying, this is what you signed up for. I don't understand why you're acting like this. Get over it."

Sorry for my tiny rant...I'm curious as to what you guys have been told. Luckily, my SO lives in the states as well, so I don't have the criticism of the "they just want their citizenship" I can only imagine what some of you guys have been told...so rant on! Let's make their judgement something we can all laugh at and relate to
    California- Alabama
    Relationship began: April 4, 2017
    First visit: Alabama: April 4-8, 2017
    Second visit: Alabama: August 22-30, 2017
    Third visit: Alabama: December 9-19, 2017
    Fourth visit: California: May 25- June 4, 2018
    Fifth visit: Alabama: September 15- 26, 2018
    Sixth visit: Alabama: December 18, 2018-January 3, 2019
    Seventh visit: Alabama: April 2-10, 2019

I often get the whole "You know they are out there right now, talking to other girls and 'hitting them up' right? Guys have needs you know, no way he stays loyal to just you." from my own sister who has an awful track record with men. However I do see a lot of people question the strength of the relationship since it is LDR and we only see each other twice a year - questioning if the relationship is real, if we see a future, when we plan to close the distance as if thats when the relationship would truly start. Nothing major - looking back its rather comical
    First Met Online: April 2016
    Started Going Out: September 18, 2016
    First Meeting: Jan 11-18, 2017
    Next Meeting: Nov 8-12, 2018

Comment

Just sceptical people who are wanting express their opinion (whether wanted or not) to make their own relationship seem more together or normal than it is by focusing on something that’s easier for them to try tear down. Oh and they’ve probably watched catfish once or twice so they probably think they’re an expert now Sadly, everyone wont agree with it, but, you’re the one who has to deal with the relationship, not them. Just let it wash off you like water off a ducks back.

Comment

Funnily enough, this has been a relationship with the least criticism I've heard so far.
        The only thing I've heard is definitely something along the lines of, "This isn't real, he's halfway across the world" or "You're wasting your time and you are getting too old, you should be with someone you are going to marry". ???

Like, the relationship is not a joke guys, but thanks for the concern I guess?
        I think they got the hint it was "real" (yes, they still aren't really out of the woods yet) after year 2.

We have butted heads before over various other relationships,
        (where they were actually right and it did end horribly; I was young and dumb, but they weren't willing to make executive decisions either.)
        but now I feel like I'm mature enough to figure it out and know what I want.
        So... they know if they really didn't have a say back then, they definitely don't have one now. :v

Follow our story on Tumblr~

Comment

I have the benefit(?) of not having friends or family around, so I don't have them to say anything negative to me. I have been wary about telling the people I do talk to though, but they are all professionals of some degree or other. My situation is kinda weird. I imagine my sister would say it was ridiculous, but she puts down everything that I do. My mum probably wouldn't be supportive, as she thinks the internet is the devil's handiwork-or near enough-and that it has nothing but sad, mad, or downright criminal people on.

Comment

Most of the time nowadays I have no criticism about my relationship, as many of my friends and my close family got to meet my SO when she visited last year. But sometimes I get something like "couldn't you ever date someone closer ?! Like, at least in the same country.. Girls here aren't missing". But my friends here know that I'm quite used to LDRs, as this is not my first international one..

Comment

Definitely some people seem critical, but most people for me were just worried about me and yes, may have had some negative views about LDRs. Unfortunately almost everyone who has made a comment to me has brought up the citizenship thing and it does hurt...any relationship will have difficulties, LDRs almost always have more, and so more doubt is just annoying

Comment

"She just wants European citizenship, 700€ to fly there? If you're so desperate I'm gonna get you a hooker also Brazilian since you like apparently like them, (Mom said to me) why are you so weird can't you just get a girlfriend around here (she still accepts it and supports me tho), what if she meets another dude and leaves you?" Basic stuff but I honestly don't really listen to all of that, more importantly it's great to listen to all the people who support you and think what you're doing is beautiful and great and brave or whatever. I noticed especially girls think it's cute I went to visit her and that we're dating but most of my guy friends are also supportive and they are happy for me. But most importantly is that you're happy to have someone by your side

Comment

I've been told stuff like "how can you love someone you just met" (even if we'd been together for longer than a year before meeting in person)
                  "I thought it was all fake" this was said to my bf when he came to see me.
                  People have also made racist comments, told me that it was dangerous because it's someone I met on the internet, my mom once told me to be careful when I was alone with him because he might do something to me, and stuff like that, very disrespectful.
                  My dad basically called me a prostitute. They were very hard on both me and him.

People can be cruel sometimes, and judge based on their own life experiences and what they think is normal, but just because someone else says it's wrong and bad, doesn't mean it's true.

Comment

Working...
                  X