LDR Trust Issues/Catfishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LDR Trust Issues/Catfishing

I've never anticipated being in a LDR, but due to sudden unforeseen circumstances I ended up in one.

Brief background:
    I was 29 and she was 24 and we're both foreigners in a country. We met on a dating site and since we're both working in the same city, it was easy to meet up. We met within 2 weeks of chatting online and were officially dating by week 5. This was just over a year ago. I deleted my account from the dating site but she didn't. It was mutually understood that we were serious and exclusive. I didn't mind her not deleting her account as long as she didn't sign in anymore.

Throughout this year, everything was excellent. We travelled to different countries and met each other's parents. However, unexpectedly, the company I was working for failed to sponsor me and I wasn't able to get a working visa. This meant I had to leave the country. My girlfriend, on the other hand, is still tied to her job for at least another 2-3 years. That's the beginning of our LDR. We already made plans to move to our home country asap or when her contract is over. I know that she wants to get married and have children soon.

Recently:
    We communicate on whatsapp daily, typing and sending voice messages. We occasionally video call each other and send each other photos. I felt satisfied and trusted her completely at this stage. However, after a few months, a friend of mine informed me that he saw my gf's active on the dating site. I created an account using fake details to find out myself.

True enough, my gf was active. I decided to message her with my fake persona to see what's going on. She said that her last relationship was a year ago. I explicitly asked her out on a date and she said yes (There was no sexual content and not a lot of flirting).

Her response completely shattered my trust and I'm confused about what to do. What do you guys think?

When trust is gone, it is hard to build it again. I would not even discuss it with her. She is not as invested in this relationship as you thought she was which is unfortunate. I would tell her your found out about the dating website and I would wish her the best of luck and i would go with no contact.

I wouldn't even tell her about what you did (the fake account). She might then accuse you of being a freak. Just end what she is unable to end and move on. It will be better for you. If she did it once, she probably did it more and she will continue to do it.
    - I'll be waiting for you -

Started talking: December 2015
    First meeting: December 2016
    Second meeting: May 2017 - August 2017
    Third meeting: Septembre 2017 - January 2018
    Engaged: December 2017
    Fourth meeting: May 2018 - August 2018
    Fifth visit: December 2019
    Wedding: September 2019

Comment

Working...
    X