No announcement yet.

Giving up things you love to be with your SO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to miss everything about the comfort of being in a country where I know all of the ins and outs, and the comfort and familiarity of the routine here. I'm a little scared about giving up not just my family and friends, but I'll have to struggle with a new job, being able to support myself while there... and that's hard. I'll have to learn how to always drive on the other side of the road...

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

By moving in with my SO, I'm giving up the opportunity to live with one of my closest friends. Of course I'd rather live with Travis, but my original plans were to get a place with my friend Madeline or my friend Kaylee. Also, a lot of my money/time goes towards managing this distance so I don't get to visit my many friends I have around the country that I made at boarding school.

Comment

Both me and my SO are moving to a new place, so there's things we're both going to have to give up. England isn't too different from the isle of man though, just bigger and scarier XD. It's alot different from Holland though so I think he'll be giving up alot more for me, though he's always wanted to move to England regardless. We'll both be leaving behind our friends and family of course. Fortunately we can still keep in touch over msn and skype, but it's not quite the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Silviar View Post
          I'm going to miss everything about the comfort of being in a country where I know all of the ins and outs, and the comfort and familiarity of the routine here.

This is another one for me too. Even though the UK and Finland are both Western civilizations it still feels very different, like a different lifestyle mainly. They don't seem to bother with times here... I'm a planner and if I'm meeting someone I'll have a set tie and expect them to keep to it but here it just seems to be "come over" and then you wait most of the time
          In a relationship with

Read mine & Tanja's story here!

My Albums:
          Summer 2009 / Xmas 2009
          Summer 2010: Part 1 & Part 2
          My dog Sam ♥

Comment

Well we actually decided he would come here, after my 3rd visit there. He realized he was closer to my family than his own. The only thing I refuse to let him give up is his triumph triple, he loves that bike, and though it will cost us a good penny to ship it here we are doing just that. We've also discussed things to make the transition easier for him, he's lucky he has an uncle just an hour from me, so he has family here. He's been here so many times that most of the awkward interactions are behind him, but his accent still makes the waitress's make idiots of themselves when they hear it!

Everything I know, and anywhere I go, It gets hard but it won't take away my love,
            And when the last one falls, when it's all said and done, It gets hard but it won't take away my love

sigpic

Me without Him is like Son of Beast without the loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
              Some of the food I miss. Like pumpkin. These people don't eat it except in pie. It's crazy.
              Oh the humanity. I'd cry. No roast pumpkin.

Comment

Are there fried pickles in Pittsburgh?!

Just thinking about putting my house on the market makes me nauseous. Hopefully I can figure out a way for my ex to keep it.

Comment

I think that there are always sacrifices to make, you just need to make sure they are worth it in the end. My sacrifices were DEFINITELY worth it, and knowing that makes it slightly (but not much) easier.

I moved from a small town to a big city. So what? Well it's kind of a big deal. I moved from a place where I grew up with everyone, and knew everyone to a place where I really just don't know anyone. I miss not having to sit in traffic every where I go. I miss running into a store, and getting out quickly, not having to waste a half hour standing in line! I'm not a huge fan of crowds, and everywhere you go here its crowded.

I miss farms. I miss seeing natural products grow (my moms side of the family are all farmers!) I miss pumpkin too, because it's not much eaten here. I didn't move a country, I only moved a few states, but my family is strictly Italian culture. We eat and speak Italian, and I miss that! It's much easier here to find mexican ingredients rather than Italian, and the restaurants with "Italian" food EW!

Mostly I miss my dogs. I had 5 german Shepard (1 that is 7 1 that is 11 and 3 that are 2) Now you are probably wondering why so many pure breed dogs, but we had the two (one that my brother got and couldn't take care of, and the female my dad bought for us to help ease the pain of losing my aunt to Brain Cancer because puppies are a huge distraction!) Then the police department asked us to breed for them, and we had nine puppies. They didn't need all nine, they took four, my best friend took one, My life long neighbor took one, and we kept three rather than selling them to strangers and risk them being put in a puppy mill or being abused! Anyways I miss my dogs, so thats why Kevin and I adopted a dog, and it helps but I still miss my other dogs.

I miss my family and friends. Family is a given for anyone I think, but I really miss my best friend.

Comment

I am not moving but she is and if i could i would take everything she would miss and ship it with her here.
                    It makes me feel a tiny bit sad knowing that she will be saying bye to a lot of stuff that she likes and has known from when she was a kid.

Comment

My SO did the move, he misses football, food, rivers, just the lifestyle overall. By having him now here I had to sacrifice some time that I would use to exercise, I mean I still do but now it's a shorter period.

Comment

Andy, I'm totally with you on the football.. I am a huge Ajax fan, I go to every home game, follow them on away games from time to time. It's one of the great loves of my life, and I would miss that terribly.

Aside from that, and more importantly: I will miss my family. They mean the world to me and I will find it hard not having them around. I see them very often... Can't imagine what it is like to not have them close.

And almost as important: I will miss Amsterdam. Anyone who's ever been there will probably agree with me it's a fantastic place and I feel very much at home here.

I've moved once to another city more to the south of holland, and I felt so out of place there. We spoke the same language and all, but just the humour, the city, the people... It just wasnt me and I felt very lost there and it was only an hour away from Amsterdam... So I am kinda curious how that will go if I move to another country. The feeling of being "the other", of not being in your own country and culture... I think it will be a very difficult transition.

Other than that: I am sure I can make new friends and find my way: it'll just take time and effort and tears probably...

Comment

The possibility of moving to Steelers Country... *shudders*

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                            it just seems to be "come over" and then you wait most of the time
                            That's cause Finnish people are just laid back and easy going

Comment

Originally posted by Tanja View Post
                              That's cause Finnish people are just laid back and easy going
                              They're nothing compared to me

Comment

Food mostly when I'm there I miss proper chocolate, no prawn cocktail crisps, no prawn crackers, not hobnobs, none of my favorite childhood sweets, no PROPER BACON! OMG that is the worst thing in the world, America, need to start using proper bacon , none of this streaky nonsense... I asked my SO, what happens when I get pregnant, I might start craving English things he can't get me in America, he looked horrified, as if he saw future pregnant me beating him up... aha hormones... rofl

Walking places- Toledo is a very spread out city, I can't walk anywhere without the fear of being run over because there aren't any/very few footpaths! I walk EVERYWHERE here, I enjoy walking and it keeps me fit =/ Guess I need a gym membership when I go other there.

My dog too, I'll miss him lots.... and my old buildings! I love spending an afternoon looking round a castle or national trust houses, America doesn't really have old buildings, at least not on the timescale england/europe do My favorite city is York, with it's tiny little cobbled streets and it medieval city walls and cathedral, it will be sad I can't just hop on a train and going for a wander. lol I was just thinking, that's a really weird thing to miss but yeah I stick with it!

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                                <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                                The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                                <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                                <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                                Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                                Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X