Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dealing with the emptiness when you have to say goodbye.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with the emptiness when you have to say goodbye.

Hey all... Just a quick one...

How do you deal with that empty feeling when you say goodbye to your S/O at the airport?

I'm in a lucky position, to be seeing B again in 76 days (for 39 days, when I stay with her in Kentucky).

But how do you cope with that empty feeling of them not being right next to you?
    I love her - like a table!

Goodbyes always suck for me and my SO. Normally I will break down in the car on the way out of his neighborhood. Honestly I just allow myself a few tears and a little time to sulk, it kind of helps. After that I try to find some upbeat music and focus on my drive back home. Once I'm home I'll message or call him and we will talk for a little.

Unfortunately, it doesn't get easier for me. If anything, it gets worse every time I leave him. One thing we have been doing is planning the next visit before I even leave him. This way, we both have something to look forward to and a time frame before were together again.

You will find your own ways of coping but maybe something I've mentioned will help you. Best of luck!
    ~And ever has it been known that Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation~

Comment

I did all that! I had to wait 9 hours for her first flight to land before we could speak, which was okay. I live alone, so coming back to an empty house was the worst. We filmed a few videos together whilst she was here, so I started editing one, which was probably too soon! I'm in my 30's... I should be more grown up about it, but I really am like a sulky teenager at the moment!

Comment

Oh, I feel this so much. My boyfriend and I have only been long distance for a month or so and we’ve been lucky enough to make it work that we see each other every 2-3 weeks for the moment... I haven’t let him see me cry yet, but I’m a pretty big mess of emotions when my car door closes and get super sulky for days afterward.

I’ve found that talking about the future in someway before parting helps - whether it’s our next fave to face meeting, marriage, or bucket list options... It helps close a little bit of the distance for a bit.

Also planning our next FaceTime date movie night. We only get to talk sporadically throughout the week unless we seriously plan. Like, it’s Thursday and I haven’t gotten to talk to him even through text since this past Sunday. Something to look forward to in the immediate future is very helpful, I think.

I don’t really have any good suggestions, as I’m also in the sulky high schooler club, haha!
        Last edited by Arielle; September 12, 2019, 01:24 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Comment

Originally posted by Arielle View Post
          Also planning our next FaceTime date movie night. We only get to talk sporadically throughout the week unless we seriously plan. Like, it’s Thursday and I haven’t gotten to talk to him even through text since this past Sunday. Something to look forward to in the immediate future is very helpful, I think.
          We're lucky to FaceTime and watch TV together every evening. there's only 5 hours between us and I've shifted onto her time, to make it easier. so we even have dinner at the same time, it's just usually midnight here when I have it!

Comment

Working...
          X