Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eating Disorders in Long-Distance Partners: How to Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eating Disorders in Long-Distance Partners: How to Help?

My SO has always been a tall, thin, small-boned build. I have often thought that he may be rather underweight (especially since he is 26 and most men have at least a little bulk on them by now. One of his sisters has a similar build, but even she is a healthy weight/ physique for that build and he is not). On his last visit, though, I noticed that he was even thinner and that it seemed like the musculature on his arms and thighs had wasted a bit. He has terrible eating habits and not only I have noticed them, but his friends and family have, too. If left to his own devices, he will often claim to "forget" breakfast and/ or lunch and "feel too tired" to make much for dinner (and, yes, he has demonstrated that he has cooking skills and, as for money, he may sometimes limit his groceries to save money, but he could still afford to get decent, healthy food...especially since he doles out money for specialty coffee and top shelf drinks). He often fuels himself on coffee all day and then has a gin and tonic in the evening and something very small and not always good like doughnuts, crackers, and almonds. He will eat meals (but fairly small portions) if his parents have him over, if he is around me, or if he goes out to a restaurant with friends (and he rarely declares on Facebook or something that he remembered to get a bagel for lunch or something, as if it is a feat for him. Sometimes he will tuck away a huge breakfast out of nowhere, which astounds me...but that is rare).

I am worried about him and tried to approach what was going on in a positive way (I made a suggestion that we do a fitness challenge and I can work on drinking more water and walking more and he can eat more frequently and more healthy meals. He liked the idea, but has since then failed to bring it up). When I talk directly about being worried about him not eating nutritiously, he kind of gets defensive and makes me out to be a nag...so I am not sure how to talk about anything more in-depth or serious.

I think that eating disorders are often concealed, ignored, or not talked about as much as they should be. For a man, too, it seems like it is less socially "acceptable" to confess to and seek help for an eating disorder. I think that his lack of nutrition and weight loss are past just eating moderately or being forgetful.

How can I help him to eat properly and have a healthy attitude (and even heal, if he does have an eating disorder) from a distance?

I think you've already made some very good steps towards the right direction. I'd bring up the fitness challenge idea again and try to make some concrete plans to implement that. If that doesn't go over well, I'd find a time that you have some one on one time with him for awhile to have a serious talk with him and not let him just run away from the issue like it sounds like he's been doing. It sounds like you're talking to him in the right ways, but maybe he needs to really understand how seriously worried you are about him and that you're not just nagging him.

Comment

I googled 'Eating Disorders in Men' and found this site which has some interesting information. I'm sure there are heaps of sites but this one seems to be in plain rather than medical language. They give information on what you can and can't do to help people and specifically what not to say. They say that in men there can be concomitant use of alcohol/stimulants as part of the issue.

They have a forum which I would love to think would be as helpful as our community here. I guess it's a place to start. From a distance this would be really difficult. Have you discussed your concerns with his parents, especially lately as he seems to be losing more weight?

Comment

The link Eternity gave you is an excellent site. Years ago I was a forum moderator for them. Lots of supportive and wonderful people there.

I battled anorexia for over 20 years...it's a long hard road...and support is crucial.
        NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

Agrees with Karrington. It takes lots of support especially for stubborn people who can't admit they have a problem or that they can handle it. I had bouts of bulimia on and off for a long time. It's been several years, but it still sits on my shoulder to this day waiting for me to drop back into old ways. Even though it is about the body it really is in your head which is why it takes a long time to resolve.

Comment

Originally posted by Čternity View Post
            Agrees with Karrington. It takes lots of support especially for stubborn people who can't admit they have a problem or that they can handle it. I had bouts of bulimia on and off for a long time. It's been several years, but it still sits on my shoulder to this day waiting for me to drop back into old ways. Even though it is about the body it really is in your head which is why it takes a long time to resolve.
            So many things about an eating disorder...so many underlying issues that truly aren't about food/weight. To someone who doesn't battle it..it can be exhausting. Read...educate yourself...and KNOW that you can't fix them...(my ex tried to fix me...thinking his love would be enough..which led to co-dependacy)...but your support can be a wonderful asset.
            NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

This is sad. I hope that you along with his family can help him understand this and get help.

Comment

A reply to this has been a long time coming (and since I had the stupid idea of drinking four cups of very much caffeinated Earl Grey, I am having a devil of a time feeling sleepy).

First, thank you for all of your responses. I needed some time to chew on this and observe more cues from him. It's hard, too, because I do think that I have some level of body dismorphia. In first year university, I did suffer from what I now realize was anorexia, as well. So, sometimes I don't think on these issues (when they are close to home, anyway) with the clearest head (e.g. feeling like it would be much more "feminine" for me to be thinner than him when he is already so thin), but I also have a very logical and scientific side to me, as well.

I appreciate your comments and sharing of thoughts, as well as the direction to that forum. I have looked at some of the information out there, but I have decided to play it cool in terms of getting hyper involved with a forum like that. We have picked up with our health challenge and he is up and going with drinking more water and eating lots of fruits and veggies! Plus, his Mom is back from Europe now and she invites him over lots for nutritious dinners. I do still try to find out about his eating habits, but (thanks to what some of you have said and that website), I do so in an encouraging and (hopefully) fun manner. For example, I will talk about what I had for dinner and how yummy it was and casually ask what he had and he either shares something yummy or realizes that he was so wrapped up in his compositions that he forgot to eat. Or, when he was doing the research field work, he would phone me as he was going to the grocery store and chat about what he was planning for his meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner!) and if I needed to encourage him on anything, I would put in a way that was like "You should include some potatoes so you have energy from the carbs and...because we are both obsessed with potatoes! "

I do still worry about him and do think that this aspect of his health needs a long time and proper support for a difference to be made, but I am happy that he and I have made a start.

Comment

Well Denise is not as bad as she used to be, but this is an argument we have alot! She used to be almost 300 pounds and when she was dating her ex because he was so controlling and abusive she stopped eating for 2 months(she only drank tea!) because to quote her "it was the only thing i could control at the time, everything else was under his control" and she ended up passing out one day and hitting her head due to no food in her system, and then after that she was eating but she purposely would go a few days without eating anything just to get to the size she is now. she was a size 0 when i first started talking to her O_o, now shes not as bad as she used to be but when she's stressed she has a habit of not eating anything or eat small portions of food, its that or if she gets a little bit of a belly she goes on a little diet *rolls eyes* like i said its an argument we have every month! She's afraid she'll go back to being 300 pounds but ya know even if she did it wouldnt matter to me.

anyway just bring it up to him alot! nag him alot to eat more, this is what i have to do with Denise if shes stressed. Arguments suck but ya know if its for the health and safety of our SO's then bring it up alot and make sure he eats! If you have to ask one of his friends to monitor his eating

Comment

Working...
                  X