Visa problems for both me and my overseas partner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visa problems for both me and my overseas partner

This is my first post so I hope it is helpful to anyone going through a similar struggle or situation.

I met my girlfriend in Scotland. She was originally from China but moved to Scotland on a student visa to study at University, and whilst she was still here, we lived really close to each other, which was a great blessing. When we met, she told me someone had stolen her passport after coming back from Amsterdam, which just sucks, no matter who you are. Here are some positives that have happened and then some:

We had great moments together, celebrated my recent birthday with her, she bought me a cake and treated me to Dim Sum food and a horror movie. We are both into bands like Bring Me the Horizon and Northlane. She is one of the nicest people I have ever met and she really cares for her family and friends.
    She also accepts the darkness of life and is always comforting and honest with her words.
    I personally think her English is brilliant, which makes things easier to work out.
    She also inspired me to commit to learning Chinese and learn more about her country's music and culture. I would draw her pictures while we watched Rick and Morty and tv reality shows dealing with psychology. I believe we share a bond that is unbreakable, no matter how far apart we are in distance.

About 7 days into the relationship, she had to go to Ireland to renew her visa but there was no bus or ferry available at the time for her to get over there, so she told me she had to go back to China. I was emotionally devastated and even when I think about it now, I still cry and get very emotional about this. It was like God blessed us with happy circumstances then just ripped them apart unexpectedly.

Just one day before she left, I had bought a one way ticket from GLASGOW to AMSTERDAM, then to CHINA in the hopes that we could reunite again, and I could also work as an english teacher. I had tried to get the company who offered the job to help me pay for the ticket and my visa, but this didn't work. They said me not having a BA in English was not a problem, but they essentially lied to me, because almost all english teaching in China requires some form of a BA.

To make matters worse,
    they wanted me to get a tourist visa, which:

1. Doesn't allow me to work overseas AT ALL! (The job requies a 1 year contract commitment)
    2. The visa office wanted me to come in and deliver my visa application the same day of my flight,
    which was just the worst timing in the world.
    3. I ended up spending �600 on the one way ticket, �60 for the visa(couldn't complete the extra �100), then �150 for a connecting flight from Guangzhou to Beijing, and all that money just went down the toilet in a matter of days.
    4. I had printed EVERYTHING I could possibly think of to guarantee my entry(work documents, invitation letters, photo ID, passport, hotel reservations, boarding passes, etc.) and this didn't even matter to security because there was no physical visa stamped in my passport or confirmation of a return flight.

I sat there in Amsterdam crying and having the worst panic attack of my life whilst I watched my China flight slowly back out of the terminal block and having everyone staring at me. I called my partner, a friend and my Dad to explain what happened and I spent the night sleeping in the Amsterdam airport depressed with barely any money, at least they had sofa beds there and phone charging ports which mades things more bearable. Just talking to my partner on the phone helped a lot to calm me down during that situation.

I went to the receptionist the next morning and told her my situation. She reimbursed my ticket to go back to Scotland. A sigh or relief for the time being.

Now that I'm back home, me and my partner have revised our plans and we are either thinking of getting her a new student visa to come visit me in Scotland or I can always get a new visa lined up before a full one way and return trip to China. I am fully committed to making this work, no matter how long it takes, no matter how many setbacks. I always believed in true love and real family values, and I hope to one day start a family, this gives me a purpose in life
    that is worth fighting for. I still have moments during my day when I break down and cry because she's not here with me and this is often unbearable at times, but I accept the emotional burden, because I believe there is happiness and fulfillment that will come out of it.

Thank you guys for reading and to anyone whom has had long distance struggles, stay strong.
    I know it can feel like you just want to give up when things look bleak, but don't listen to that negativity in your mind, there is a good spirit within you that wants you to have all the happiness in your life.
    Last edited by absentmonkjp; October 18, 2019, 03:41 PM.

Hopefully this all works out for you both.

Comment

Visa stuff is the worst and it is the worst feeling to not be able to get on your flight to see your partner -- I've had that happen to me too. I hope everything works out for you guys and you're able to see each other. If you feel like you're meant to be together, don't give up!
      Chifuyu

Comment

Originally posted by Redheart14 View Post
        Hopefully this all works out for you both.
        Thank you very much for the push. I won't give this up.

Comment

Originally posted by Chifuyu4 View Post
          Visa stuff is the worst and it is the worst feeling to not be able to get on your flight to see your partner -- I've had that happen to me too. I hope everything works out for you guys and you're able to see each other. If you feel like you're meant to be together, don't give up!
          Thank you!! I really appreciate the feedback and stories you have also went through. I will find a way, no matter what.

Comment

I hope you can get everything sorted! I myself am a fellow Scot so I understand things here can be dire but do not give up! You will see each other again and this will all be in the past. Sending as much good luck as I can
            When they stand before us they find...A force they were not ready for.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry92 View Post
              I hope you can get everything sorted! I myself am a fellow Scot so I understand things here can be dire but do not give up! You will see each other again and this will all be in the past. Sending as much good luck as I can
              Thank you very much Kerry92! You guys have given me strength to succeed in this!

Comment

Working...
              X