Boyfriend Moved Away After 7 Years Of Living Together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boyfriend Moved Away After 7 Years Of Living Together

Boyfriend moved over a hundred miles away for a course and I do get to see him 3 weekends a month but it is almost like a day and a half each time. We have lived together for many years and it was very sudden that he got accepted and I wasn't happy with his decision but had to be because it's his life not mine. He lives in a dorm with other people and has lots of friends and I am stuck managing everything back home along with my uni and job. I have tried the "fill your time with other stuff" tip but it makes me feel worse like I am becoming a different person and I don't like it. I do feel angry at my boyfriend, I wish I wasn't... But I am. First week was okay because my mind almost tricked me into thinking he was away on holiday and would come back soon but now it's constant repetition of him leaving and coming back it is rubbish. I don't feel good at all but when I try to talk to him he gets angry and accuses me of trying to guilt trip him into coming back. I just feel betrayed.

Hi, I am sorry this happened to you and your SO but keep in mind this is not forever. 7 years is a really long time and I am sure that you two have developed quite the bond with everything you have been through together (I am guessing its a lot with such a long term relationship) Try not to get angry with him, especially if something like his education is the reason behind the move, its just him bettering his life. Also being angry will only do harm to your relationship and I know you don't want that, try to channel those emotions into being supportive of him! I am assuming he went to school if he is living in a dorm, so do what my SO and I do (he is a med student) and make a virtual study date- sounds cheesy but in reality its a way for the two of you to spend some quality time together despite the distance.

Be thankful its only about 100 miles and not more.. some people on here are on the other side of the world from their SO and might be lucky to see each other once a year. I know it doesn't make it less important with him being closer (mine is only 385 miles away) but try and look at from someone else's POV. It will take some time to get accustomed to, and yes, it will be difficult but it is definitely do-able if you remain patient with each other and communicate about any and everything. Best of luck to you!
    Last edited by MsGrim; November 1, 2019, 02:28 PM.
    ~And ever has it been known that Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation~

Comment

How long has he been away for?
      Adjusting to an ldr takes time so try not to let it aggravate you too much.
      Being in a long distance relationship isn’t for everyone and that’s ok. Just try and give it a bit longer to adjust to. If it’s still not working for you then maybe you need to have a serious conversation about the future. 3 weekends in a month is impressive for a ldr visit schedule too.

Comment

Working...
      X