Please, I really feel like I need to hear from those who understand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please, I really feel like I need to hear from those who understand

Hello everyone, I’ve posted here a few times with various questions. But I thought I would introduce myself better. I am a 33 yo woman, and I have known my SO for about 14 months. He is 35.

I found him online and we have been communicating regularly ever since. In the beginning, contact was sporadic and friendly only. I was in a very long term relationship that I was finding deeply unfulfilling. My communication with my friend online prompted me to change my life and end my relationship. It was very difficult, devastating, and my ex will not forgive me. I also have two children with my ex. I knew that my relationship was over though and the fact that I went looking for a friendship outside of it was because I was so lonely. I didn’t conceal my friendship with the online person and I know that it contributed to my breakup.

Anyway, this past year has been mostly about reestablishing my life. And finding some level of normality with the kids. I can honestly say, though, that things feel mostly settled now, and the kids are doing well.

My online friend was and had been very supportive. We soon started to, not only chat online, but have long phone conversations and some occassional video chats. Did I mention that we live about 14,000 kms apart?

Things were going really well with my friend. But there had been no talk of what we were doing or how we felt towards each other. But I know that our emotional intimacy with one another made us more than just friends. 3 months ago he finally flew over to my country to meet me. It’s something we had been trying to plan for months, but the timing never felt right. We met in my old hometown and spent 2.5 magical weeks together, before we both went back to our lives.

My problem is this: I do not think I can handle the distance. He says that I am up and down all the time, and I know that I am, and I know it is because I feel that my needs are not being met. I know we all want to be IN PERSON with our SO and I am not trying to be weak because I have these feelings. I know that important things can come with a need for sacrifice. But we have no future goal of how we can be together. Visas here are very complicated and expensive. As is flying. I honestly don’t know what to do! I want to be positive but I also do it want to be in an LDR indefinitely. I want something in person, and I want to build my life up alongside another.

I am pushing him away lately because I find that when things get even nicer between us, the pain of not having him is even more pronounced and I honestly cannot bear it. He gets on with his life and seems to be able to handle the distance well. Whereas I am drowning in loneliness and anxiety.

This is a big deal to me because this is a man I can easily imagine being with for the remainder of my life. He makes me laugh, he understands me and he helps me. I feel closer with him than I have before with anyone. When I first laid eyes on him at the airport, it was love at first sight. I felt like I had arrived home without ever before knowing what ‘home’ felt like.

He is committed and I trust him. Although in person I did tell him that I love him but he did not tell me he loves me. He explained that it is something that is a very big deal to him and it also leaves him feeling very vulnerable I think. I try not to let this bother me, I know love does not go well with pressure. But if I am very honest, yes it does bother me. The distance is already challenging enough with me questioning and wondering how he truly feels about me. We did officially become each other’s gf/bf after we met in person though. He says he wants to move to me. That he wants to be with me. But I don’t know how, nor when!

In the meantime I am getting more and more insecure and unhappy, which is putting a bigger and bigger strain on our LDR.

What do you all think?? Can I make this work? Is it worth it? Or is it sometimes better to give up and move on to save the heartache? I do love him, with all of my heart. But this is breaking me.

Thanks so much for reading, and supporting 🤗
    "The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again".
    -Charles Dickens

Yes yes yes
    I know exactly how you feel. In fact my story is almost identical to yours apart from the fact my SO and I are a few years older!
    I have no advice. I'm sorry.
    Your SO sounds so much like mine. He will not say anything until it's absolutely factual and we have a timeline. Eg he'll never say oh in 3 years we will whatever..... I know this is because he doesn't want to potentially break a promise, but yes, it gets me down too. Sometimes inevitably I think it has to end at some point but this sounds crazy... I can't imagine not being with him. On every level there is massive connection.
    He is really busy with the million and one things he does with work and handles things well (or doesn't tell me if he doesn't). I had a wobble yesterday and told him I was jealous of everyone that comes into contact with him! He said that he 'gets that'.

Sorry for hijacking. I just wanted you to know that you are certainly not alone. :-)

Comment

Hi Kate, thanks for sharing your thoughts and connecting. Do either of you have any support for your relationship? From friends and family?
      "The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again".
      -Charles Dickens

Comment

Hi, I can understand your insecurity and the loneliness that you feel. But being away from each other doesn’t mean that it isn’t worth fighting for. Maybe you can talk with him and explain how you feel about the whole situation.
        I think it will help when you know when the distance will end. So maybe you can talk about that too?
        I have a hard time dealing with the distance well my bf seems just fine handling it. He sure does way better then I do.
        But because I know it’s only for 2 years next I hang in there.
        He talks a lot about our life together and what it will look like, that always puts a smile on my face and more willing to hold on.
        Maybe that will work for you too?
        Being long distance is hard, not knowing when it ends makes it even harder!

Comment

I can easily see my fiance writing something like this. He is really struggling lately with all of it, and it doesn't help that he's not done LD before. I have, but only the once and that was over 15 years ago and we were in the same country. This time, there is over 4000 miles and an ocean between us. Story of my life really. Always go for the most difficult option!

It really hurts me knowing how much he is struggling, and that I can't do anything to help him. He worries about everything. To quote him directly: "When nothing is certain and set in stone, then the more scary things are the variables."

We have recently changed our plan for closing the distance, as we are both finding it so hard. But even with that, we only knock off a year. I honestly worry about whether he will make it that far. I am breaking at the moment too, because he is so low I am just absorbing it all from him, and he is isolated because he is so depressed. We're both caught between a rock and a hard place right now.

To answer your questions though. Yes, you can make it work. Yes, it does sound worth it. But if it doesn't work out, then at least you tried. You'll never know until you try.

Comment

Originally posted by vivid_idea View Post
            Hi Kate, thanks for sharing your thoughts and connecting. Do either of you have any support for your relationship? From friends and family?
            No support at all apart from one friend who doesn't really get it and thinks that once all my ducks are in a row, I'll find a nice man nearby and realise this was all a distraction. She only said that once!!
            As frustrated as it gets, I'm hanging on hoping the future takes care of itself because him not being in it is worse than the anxiety I feel now.

Comment

Hi! I can understand where you are coming from! I also made the difficult decision to leave an ex at the beginning of this year, and while I can say that it was because there was no real future, my current SO was there through it all and made me realize what I was missing out on. My SO isn't as far as yours and is in the same country as I am but what I can say is that the love we share is unimaginable (I am guessing it is the same for you as well?)

I know you are struggling with the distance and its weighing on your mind when making a decision on how to move forward with this LDR... with or without him? Real quick, take a minute and really think about your life without him; imagine moving on from the relationship completely. How does that make you feel? Is it more painful to think about being without him than the pain you are currently feeling from the distance?............... Sorry, I just read your post above mentioning the same thing I just asked.

The distance really sucks, I think we can all agree. But another thing I think the majority of us can agree on is that it is SO worth it! I have never in my life experienced a love like I have now for my SO. Getting to know someone from so far away just makes it more special and you learn to appreciate the tiniest things, like holding hands and going grocery shopping together lol.
              ~And ever has it been known that Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation~

Comment

Working...
              X