Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning a new language

Hi everyone,

For those of you whose SO speaks a language other than your native language, how important was it for you to learn their language? Also, how did you go about learning, and what is the best way?

My SO speaks fluent English and so we always communicate using English. He has expressed that he wonders why I am not interested in learning his native language. I am, but I feel overwhelmed and a bit self conscious!

Any advice or help or stories to share would be useful now.

Thanks everyone 😊
    "The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again".
    -Charles Dickens

My SO speaks fluent English...I can understand and speak a teeny weeny bit of Hindi. I have a mental block against putting more effort into it because I don't really have any occasion to use Hindi in day-to-day conversation except with him, and he doesn't speak it to me. I think that being immersed in that language and being forced to use it might finally get me into gear to get more serious about learning it. I've used various apps off and on, but more so I watch Hindi films with subtitles...it helps to get a feel for the flow of actual conversation versus apps that only teach you somewhat useless phrases. Not sure if this rambling helps you at all! :P
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X