Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Successful immigration to Australia?

Hi everyone,

I am just curious if anyone here has either had someone successfully immigrate to Australia or has successfully immigrated themselves?

I was looking over the legislation and it is pretty daunting. Especially because our relationship developed online, and not through in person time together. SO lives in Germany.

Anyone have any stories to share?! Would love to hear some!
    "The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again".
    -Charles Dickens

Hi there!

I moved to Australia to be with my partner. The visa process definitely seems daunting and there's a lot of information to take in.

My partner and I met online as well, so I was really worried when we applied for the Partner Visa. We were engaged and had been together for quite awhile as well, but most of our "time together" it was online. Before we even started our application, we consulted an immigration lawyer. When I was reading all the visa information, I had a lot of questions, so a lawyer definitely cleared some things up for us.

The Partner Visa is very expensive (the price has gone up quite a bit since we applied) and a really long process. I was already in Australia and we applied in Aug 2016 and I was granted my permanent residence Aug 2019. The process was stressful for me because I was unable to work until I was granted my temporary residence in March 2017. Also, the thought of the government being the deciding factor of if I could stay or if I had to leave added more stress. By the time I was granted my permanent residence, we had already made a life here. Full-time jobs, a house, a dog, a car, and I had strong ties to Australia.

It is definitely doable. You have to provide lots of evidence to show that you guys are a genuine couple. We did our application all online and it took me a few months to gather all the evidence (I wanted to be thorough).

Feel free to ask any questions, but I definitely recommend consulting an immigration lawyer. You don't need to use an immigration lawyer when you do the application (they can be pretty expensive as well and that's why we did the application ourselves) but they can clarify things for you and let you know the best route to go.

Comment

Did you have to renounce your citizenship to your birth country?

Comment

Hi BaconGirl05!

I’m so sorry that I never saw your reply!!!

This was a wonderfully helpful response!! Thank you. I thought it would be next to impossible to get my SO over here since we met online!

Since writing this post we have met two times for 3 weeks each. He came here both times. I was sure to take lots of photos of us together in the hopes of making a case for us one day.

Thanks again for your comment!!!

And Izzy pop, I think it depends on which country you are leaving. Some countries do not like allowing a dual citizenship. You would have to find out about your country. I am pretty sure that Australia doesn’t have a problem with dual citizens but I am not 100% sure!
        "The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again".
        -Charles Dickens

Comment

That's amazing to hear! I definitely understand that feeling of it being impossible, but it is possible to have a successful outcome

izzy_pop no, I didn't have to renounce my US citizenship. I am not an Australian citizen, I'm only a permanent resident. Australia has a residency requirement that must be met in order to be eligible to apply for citizenship. I will be eligible to apply this August, and no, I won't need to renounce my US citizenship. I will simply get dual citizenship.

Comment

Working...
          X