Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recent Crush

Hi!
    I'm a 22 yr old girl from the States. I recently met this Australian guy on Kik about a week ago and we both have been messaging and snapchatting everyday. We phoned once so far since he works long days, but he still manages to write me throughout his shifts. We are both interested in each othe. I mentioned maybe an LDR down the road and he had said that he is keen on the idea. He hasn't ever been in one but he says that I'm everything he likes. He listed inner qualities and outer qualities. I asked him if he would ever consider visiting me and he said that he would "deffs consider it". I've expressed self doubt and he has been there to support me. Any experience with the loyalty of an Australian that anyone wants to share?
    Is there anything you all want to say, "warn", or encourage me about this situation? I can always give more detail!
    Last edited by izzy_pop; April 8, 2020, 06:43 PM. Reason: Add a detail

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

I am an Australian! But I think loyalty comes down to personality and perceptions about commitment and the individual relationship itself.

I also met my SO online randomly and fell into our situation which has since become an LDR. As someone who is facing challenges in my LDR, this is something I think is important to consider:

Take a good look at where you are both at in life and see if there is the potential to come together in the future. I didn’t do this, was actually in a relationship with my now ex, and have tried to make things work constantly with my family, kids, ex and my SO. The timing for us has been very tough, and it has caused us both a lot of emotional anguish and stress. Not to mention the added strain from the impact it has on my life here (his life not so much because the times we have seen each other he has come here and he plans to come to me one day).

I think if you can, at least, envision how things could pan out in the long run then an LDR could work.

It’s definitely true that LDRs can be the most wonderful experience to share with another person!!!
    "The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again".
    -Charles Dickens

Comment

Thank you for your reply! This wouldn't be my first LDR but he is more interested than my first. He has already expressed that his mates and family would like me. He has said that he's very loyal to the point that he won't buy a different cereal brand haha. I was actually thinking of moving to Australia so I was already in that general direction. My job is a speciality so I would hope that I could continue it.

Comment

Hi and welcome to LFAD

An LDR is hard work and is a big commitment, especially an overseas one. I'm from the US and my SO was from Australia. We were quite young when we met, so my circumstances were very different to yours. Yes, LDRs work out, but sometimes they don't. I just want to say that overseas relationships can be a long process. It involves a lot more legal stuff compared to an LDR within the same country. Definitely see where you both are in your lives and if you're ready to commit to this.

It is a lot of work and involves open communication, loyalty and trust, but it definitely is possible

Comment

It's been a week...

Imo, sloooow down. It may feel like you've known him forever, but the fact is, you haven't. Take the time to actually get to know him and see if you're actually compatible before you plan your whole life around him.
          sigpic

Comment

I’m Australian
            But your origin shouldn’t define your loyalty. With the health crisis I’d take it slow seeing no one knows when travel will resume to normal. Use this time to get to know each other

Comment

Your origin shouldn’t define your loyalty - that is so true! If you guys click I think there's nothing better. I'm now also exploring the world of LDR. Commitment comes when you find something dear, something truly yours. I try my best to unerstand what the person is from the first conversations. However, lately I also started using personality tests. Volikov test has helped me a lot actually, because this particular one has loyalty as one of the characteristics. I guess it can tell if a person is more likely to settle down one day. Keep us posted and wish you the most loving and loyal man!

Comment

Working...
              X