He's got Corona Virus and I'm hopeless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's got Corona Virus and I'm hopeless

My boyfriend is officially Covid-19 positive and sick. He was a supermarket worker, so he likely caught the virus at work. The supervisors asked him to get tested on Wednesday. The results were positive... He was immediately fired and sent home. They didn't pay him anything, in fact he had to pay for the test. He thought it could be a false positive and was looking for other tests... but today he already feels terrible... body pain, cough and headache. So I definitely think the results were right. I believe he will defeat the disease simply because he's still young, but I don't know, he hasn't seen any physician and I don't think he will ever get any.

My SO lives in a guest house in Quezon City, a suburb of Manila, where he's stuck and isolated now. Meanwhile, his family lives on another Filipino island and I'm in the other side of the world. He's very scared not only because the disease, but also because he's alone and jobless. I keep sending him cheerful messages but I feel down myself. Our relationship has always been smooth (no fights or problem with each other) but we had to suffer the distance and economic problems.

We are actually more scared about finances than health. He already lost his job in March and didn't get a new one until April. The consequences of surviving a month without income were awful. Now we don't know when he will be able to work again. Nobody is going to hire a sick person, and he has to compete with many other Filipinos who are looking for work. Wages are very low so during the period he worked he couldn't save anything. He's no rights as his contract was temporary, so he has nothing now. His family is also broke and doesn't help him. My personal financial situation is quite bad, just not as terrible, and I had to send him money to pay for his rent and his food. This is not something I like but I feel that if I don't help him nobody else will. I just don't want him to end living in the street or starving.

The Filipino government doesn't recognise same-sex relationships and only allows Filipinos and their spouses to travel. I think I have no chance to go there. We spoke about meeting and getting married in other countries but everything sounded impossible. Alternatively maybe he could move back to his home town to reunite with his relatives, but the Philippines even has crazy restrictions to move across the country.

To make it worse I have no support among my friends. Every time I speak about my relationship it ends bad. All my friends have asked me to dump my boyfriend asap. They even called him scammer. Logically I hate when people talk this bad about the person I love. This made me feel terrible and I no longer feel comfortable talking about my relationship with anyone. That's why I have to write here.

To sum up I'm feeling terrible and hopeless. Like I said I believe he will defeat the disease, but I don't know what's coming next. The distance, money and travel restrictions made us suffer in the past, but I feel like everything is just getting worse. I just want to be with the person I love.
    Why am I always trying the impossible?

Hi Enric, it's very difficult to support a loved one in a LDR but just let them know you care for them and are thinking of them and it will help a lot. I had a situation where my SO was going through grief from a death of her long time pet and it was so hard not being able to reach out and hold her. But I know that she did feel supported by my words, even though I felt so powerless to help her.
    Like you say, your partner will quickly recover from Covid and hopefully soon will be able to get work. Good luck and stay strong.

Comment

It`s difficult, but be patient. It`s better to advise to go to doctor it`s important during coronavirus pandemic! Be careful and bless you!

Comment

Thanks. His health is very fine. He only felt sick for a day and I think he was exaggerating a bit because he felt very scared. Luckily this virus is nearly harmless for most young people. The economic issues remain but hopefully he'll be with his parents again soon.
        Why am I always trying the impossible?

Comment

Working...
        X