X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ways to show appreciation?

Hi everyone,

How are you all?

I haven't posted in a while. Me and my SO have been having a pretty difficult time lately. Not only COVID related, but it surely doesn't help. I also have family issues that makes it more stressful for us (2 kids and a very challenging ex) and, unfortunately, we have been fighting and upsetting each other a lot lately. It's hard for him to worry about me. And the distance just, sucks.

BUT I also feel amazed and delighted that we have made it to two years!! My SO has stuck by me through thick and thin and I don't know if I have always earned his love, but he continues to give it to me. I feel lucky to have someone in my life who cares about me so much.

I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to show appreciation for your SO over the distance? I used to like sending him cute cards but the last one took months to get to him because of COVID, and so I don't want to do that right now. Is there another cute way to show him how much I appreciate and love him, more instantly?

Thanks for your ideas and help, and I do hope you all are managing your LDRs ok. I know it's so hard! Hugs to you all!!!
    "The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again".
    -Charles Dickens

I know you said cards take too long but have you ever considered sending "open when" letters? It may take a while to get to him but he'll have a ton of letters all at once. I did this for my SO last Christmas and he cried when he opened the box that they were in

Some of my letters included:
    1: Rules of the letters. Only open 2 a week. Tell me when you opened one and let me know how it made you feel. No cheating.
    2: Open when we have a fight (apologize for whatever reason and reassure him that you will always love him)
    3: Open when you've had a stressful day
    4: Open when you miss me (I sprayed this one with his favorite body spray of mine, maybe add in some pics of you?)
    5: Open when you need a laugh (I wrote a funny poem)
    6: Open when you're bored (I created a crossword puzzle with some of our memories, there's websites to help you do this)
    7: Open when you're sick (I've seen a lot of people include things like hot tea and stuff)
    8: Open when you want a compliment (I literally just listed 10 things I absolutely love about him)
    9: Open when you're thinking about our future.

There were 15 in total but I can't remember what else I included lol.. There are tons of ideas online that can help you personalize and decorate to make it more fun. And honestly, I had such a fun time making these. It took me about a week in total and it was worth it to see his reaction. He opened one right in front of me. I gave them to him right before I was about to leave him and go home. He opened "when you're thinking about our future" and it was such an incredible moment between us.

If you want to do something right now to give to him, have some art commissioned of you 2 together? Like my profile pic. I gave someone a description of us, the position I wanted us in and sent it to him on his birthday.
    Last edited by MsGrim; September 23, 2020, 07:59 AM.
    ~And ever has it been known that Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation~

Comment

Originally posted by MsGrim View Post
      I know you said cards take too long but have you ever considered sending "open when" letters? It may take a while to get to him but he'll have a ton of letters all at once......
      To anyone that wants to try this idea....

Australia and Germany(from the OP's profile) are not too bad, but other countries may have postal systems that are not too reliable. Do not send anything of high intrinsic value or it may not get there. There is also the problem of paying import duties, particularly on a box or package.

There are also some restrictions because of the pandemic. Some countries are not allowing mail to come in or out.

Anyway, I really like this idea if you have dependable postal service on both ends.

Comment

MsGrim, I love those ideas. I'm definitely gong to do some of those.

Vivid_Idea, I sent my SO a card that I made myself, drew a picture. More immediately, pick a song that means a lot to you re your SO, then google it and add "karaoke" after and record yourself singing this and send it to him. My and my SO have done this a few times now and I can't tell you how much I love it. We normally do a bit of an intro and a couple of words at the end to make it more personal. Also, I can't sing, but my SO still loves mine.

I feel for your situation. I have a son who keeps me here for now and a very difficult ex. It doesn't make things any easier. Good luck.

Comment

Oh my gosh, these ideas made me smile. Ms Grim, I LOVE the 'Open When' letters. I will do that for sure and start making them this weekend. Postal service is pretty reliable but it just takes sooooo long now. D_M, I love the karaoke idea but I seriously can't sing lol. I did sing him happy birthday once and sent it, but I felt like a moron LOL
          -Charles Dickens

Comment

Thank you so much for sharing your ideas!!!
            -Charles Dickens

Comment

Originally posted by vivid_idea View Post
              Oh my gosh, these ideas made me smile. Ms Grim, I LOVE the 'Open When' letters. I will do that for sure and start making them this weekend. Postal service is pretty reliable but it just takes sooooo long now. D_M, I love the karaoke idea but I seriously can't sing lol. I did sing him happy birthday once and sent it, but I felt like a moron LOL
              Don't worry. I'm baaad. I felt stupid the first time... and the second... but I started enjoying it and she really liked it. I guess she wasn't judging the quality of the singing, more the effort and feeling behind it :-)

Comment

Thank you so much for sharing your ideas!!!
                You're welcome! I know you both will enjoy them so much!
                ~And ever has it been known that Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation~

Comment

D_M, yeah I get that. It's a lovely thing to do, and it's not about the quality of the singing at all. It's just me and my silly awkwardness
                  -Charles Dickens

Comment

D_M, yeah I get that. It's a lovely thing to do, and it's not about the quality of the singing at all. It's just me and my silly awkwardness
                    And I get that. I don't know how many attempts I made of my first song before I sent one.

Comment

Originally posted by D_M View Post
                      And I get that. I don't know how many attempts I made of my first song before I sent one.
                      Lol, same! And it still sounded terrible!
                      -Charles Dickens

Comment

I love the open when letter idea!
                        I really hope my partner is into it, sometimes it's hard to tell.

here's what I have so far in addition to ones already mentioned:
                        - Open on Valentine’s Day
                        - Open when you miss me (pictures of you, things I wish we could do together where I am)
                        - Open when you miss me #2 (more pictures of you, things I wish we could do together where partner is)
                        - Open when you’re hungry (easy recipes)
                        - Open when you miss my city (pictures of friends / places)
                        - Open when you’re having a great day
                        - Open when you can’t sleep
                        - Open just because (something silly, a comic)

A couple other things I want to include with the letters:
                        - Doodles I've made of us
                        - Tickets of stuff we've done together
                        - Polaroid photos of us

also thank you for starting this thread! great subject.

Comment

I did Open when letters to my husband but I constantly had to remind him to open them

Comment

Originally posted by Redheart14 View Post
                            I did Open when letters to my husband but I constantly had to remind him to open them
                            Nooo! Really?! I would be so desperate to open them all at once lol
                            -Charles Dickens

Comment

Ms Grim is right about it, I completely agree with her in this topic

Comment

Working...
                              X