Language Barrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Language Barrier

My boyfriend is French speaking and I'm English speaking. He is completely fluent and we communicate just fine. I recently moved to England to start college and to be closer to his home country, and now I am spending much more time at his house. His family are all pretty fluent in English, but they speak French probably around 75 percent of the time, which I completely understand - I don't expect them to speak English all the time just because I'm there. I appreciate when they speak English, and I'm also taking French classes in school to try and learn the language, but I am just terrible at speaking French out loud and I rarely do. I feel stupid when I do.

His family and I are all pretty friendly with each other, it's just a little awkward because it's hard to communicate. There are times when I just have to sit there doing nothing for like an hour while they have a conversation in French. I'm worried that we'll never be very close because I can't speak French, and I'm worried that maybe they're annoyed about it. We just kind of exist in the same house and don't talk all that much. Is anyone else in a similar situation? What do you think?

What do I think?

If his family is "all pretty friendly", maybe they can help you learn the language? Ask them.

Comment

I’d ask to be included in conversations as it’s the only way you’ll learn more is by submerging yourself in their language. If they are being nice enough to speak English around you try to be more open to speak French. Who cares what you think you sound like, I’m sure they will appreciate the effort you are putting in to learning their language. You’ve got a wonderful opportunity here with his family being fluent in English and French but you will only get out what you put into the experience.

Comment

My husband doesn't speak German or Polish and my parents speak very little English (had to learn Russian as their foreign language in school instead of English), but when we have skype calls with my parents, I make him feel included by translating both ways! Your SO should make you feel included and help you out!
        French is not as difficult to speak as it is to write, also google translate can help!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
        First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
        Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
        Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
        Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
        Married: 1/24/2015
        Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Working...
        X