Something I worry about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something I worry about

My SO and I fight sometimes, and I honestly wonder if we are strong enough to make it. It occurred to me today that, for those of us in very LDRs, if we break up with our SOs we will never get to say a proper goodbye and will never have even a hug again.

This feels so sad to think about right now. I know for me, if we do breakup it would be because our communication is not always the best and the distance gets rough for me sometimes. I know I will always love him, though, and so breaking up without a proper goodbye is such a devastating and horrible prospect.

Do you guys think about that sometimes? How horrible it is to breakup over the internet, phone, video, without a proper, respectful goodbye?
    "The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again".
    -Charles Dickens

Back in December of last year when my SO and I broke up briefly.. I had to call out of work because I felt so sick from it. I actually packed a bag and was about to just drive to him. I couldn't bear the thought of never having that final talk in person. But, fortunately, I decided it was a terrible idea to show up unannounced as I was sitting in my car about to put it in drive

This definitely crosses my mind a lot due to how our relationship is. Not that we have a bad relationship, but just the context of our two different worlds. I can really say been there, done that for this relationship and I pray I NEVER have to go through that again.
    ~And ever has it been known that Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation~

Comment

I think there is always an element of unfinished business with LDRs. They will never reach their full potential until they can be actualised IRL. I hope we both get to enjoy real life with our SOs again soon.

How precious a simple hug becomes, huh?
      -Charles Dickens

Comment

I can really see things differently since being in my LDR. You start to realize that a lot of things are taken for granted by other people. Holding hands, hugging, or just going grocery shopping on a Saturday.
        ~And ever has it been known that Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation~

Comment

I used to feel the same. I was terrified of breaking up because of distance/circumstance. Even back at the beginning I knew there was something really special going on, I just saw the possibility of a really great life long relationship, soulmate, movie love... and I was right.
          We did break up a couple of times, before it got too serious (my SO broke with me) and it tore me apart, I was in bits. I felt I had lost the future. But it tore her apart too, I know. She didn't want to break up but she couldn't see how it would work. It was very hard for her.
          We got back together and now she is my everything. And like Ms Grim says, all these little things... holding hands, hugging and grocery shopping... you learn in LDR that they're not really little things, they're just taken for granted. So when LDR couples close the distance, they've got a really good chance of going the distance too, because they know these little things are important and they appreciate them.

Comment

I used to worry about this when my husband and I were in a ldr. I guess you just need to try let that go and enjoy your relationship or it will eat away at you. If you’re relationship is strong and communication is good there’s no reason to worry about stuff like that. I know it’s easier said than done, trust me I’ve been there. I’d try focusing on the positives rather than dealing of the negatives and doubts of what if’s.

Comment

In the early stages of our relationship we broke up several times because I couldn't see how it could work, being in two countries with two religions. Each time, my heart literally hurt so bad and I missed having the routine of messaging him, and I was usually the one to cave and message him again (I think the longest breakup was a week ). Somehow he put up with that and took me back each time. If we were to break up now, I would definitely jump in the car and go finish it in person. I can't imagine going through that over the phone again.
              sigpic

Comment

Thank you for your responses. SO and I are not doing so great lately, so that's why I asked. I wish it was as simple as jumping in a car, but we are on different continents!
                -Charles Dickens

Comment

Working...
                X