Anxiety and ldr confusing me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anxiety and ldr confusing me

Hi, a little bit of a backstory before we begin. I had my first ldr back in January of 2020 and it moved pretty fast. I’ve always been one to commit easily and to bare my all without reserve which can be a bit much to some but with her it was met equally. things were great until my country NZ went into lockdown and I was off work for almost 3 months. In that time I experienced my first anxiety attack.

I’ve never had one before that point or suffered with anxiety more than the average person. This was made further difficult by the fact that I lived alone and because of my self sufficient nature and tendency to prefer being by myself, I had no friends to fall back on.
    I told my ldr gf at the time that I had just had a panic attack and I didn’t know what was causing it. Then after a bit of discussion back and forward I thought maybe it was because of the ldr and only being made worse by the lockdown. It was decided that we would take a step back and be just friends for a while so I could take the pressure off and see if it helped my anxiety. so we remained friends but always with the intention of getting back together later down the line.

Well fast forward to a couple of months later and I had a scare because I saw there was this guy that was talking to her that put her as his profile pic on Facebook. She explained that it was just to make his ex jealous and they had talked about it. I had no reason to distrust her so I let it go as the innocent thing she perceived it to be. Well over the next few days and weeks she slowly started talking to me less and less until eventually ghosting me. I found out that all the while she was slowly talking to me less whilst still saying she wanted to be with me and that nobody could replace me, she was dating him. 4 months later and she’s engaged to the guy. Needless to say I was hurt. I had no closure because she blocked me and didn’t even say goodbye to me and I had to find out from a friend of hers what had happened.

I moved on and eventually got back to being ok and ready to date again. I once again took to online dating and found someone that I truly couldn’t believe existed. We have so much in common, even our birthdays are the same! We also have a lot that we don’t share in common but I loved that because it gives us both reason and purpose to grow and accept one another.

Things with her were great. She was opposite to the last girl in the fact that she was slower to reveal herself and open up which I was not used to being someone that is quick to jump. I slowly adjusted to this and found it at times a good thing because it made me more certain of what I was feeling. I thought she was beautiful inside and out. I’ve always been a shallow person, not by choice so I did at times find myself having to look at photos to remind myself that she is beautiful because I always had fears that I’d not like her when we meet.

It’s been 2 months now and after a long 5 hour FaceTime chat which was honestly so amazing, I found myself waking up this morning with overwhelming nerves and anxiety to the point of almost feeling sick. in the last few minutes of our call I found myself thinking ‘do you really love her? Are you really attracted to her?’. And I know these thoughts aren’t my own but I’ve always struggled with turning them off. When I get anxious, I tend to attach it to the nearest thing which is my relationship so it attaches negative emotions and worries and fears that slowly take over my mind until it blurs the lines of what I feel.

I’m not sure what to do. I know that I wouldn’t face this anxiety if I was with someone in person because I’d have that instant knowledge of physical attraction upon seeing them but because I can’t see her and for possibly a long while longer, I have those fears. I know if I was to see her now, my mind would be at ease because then I’d know. I’d be able to let it all go and be happy.

I love this girl, and don’t want to hurt her. I’ve never been so connected to someone and so in awe of them. I’m not sure what the true problem is here. I have communicated my confusion to her and she knows about my anxiety and is very supportive but I know it takes a toll on her because it’s so difficult for her to open up to people and she’s finally starting to be open with me and let me in. Perhaps I’m just overwhelmed because I felt safe just getting to know her, and now with each step closer she gets to me, I get more frightened of all the negative possibilities that could come.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I can truly see a life with the girl with true value if I can just get past this fear that cripples me so.

I was having anxiety/worry attacks for no apparent reason, due to being under chronic stress for many years.

Then I started taking a vitamin B complex capsule twice a day, and it certainly helped. You might give that a try.

Comment

In my honest opinion, this issues sounds deeper than any online forum can remedy.

You say this wouldn't be an issue for an in-person relationship, but do you know this for a fact? Distance can exacerbate struggles, but those struggles exist in any relationship, and even physical affection does not heal all wounds. I would maybe consult a professional as to how you can work on decreasing anxiety regarding friendship and relationship development.
      sigpic

Comment

Hey there, welcome to the forum. You will find lots of nice people here who are happy to help if they can.

I will offer you my thoughts on what you said. Firstly, LDRs are not for the faint-hearted. I think most of the people on this forum would be able to tell you some kind of personal stress or challenge they were forced to face because of their LDR. So I promise you are not alone with your feelings of anxiety and confusion. Secondly, you experienced a traumatic experience where someone you cared about ghosted you. This can be a very devastating experience and it is likely playing into your current situation.

I was worried about our in-person attraction before I met my SO. Like you, I don't easily find people physically attractive and it would have been impossible if I did not feel a physical connection in person. I, too, worried that the connection we had online would not translate in person. I was certain that no amount of video calls would tell me what I needed to know. We didn't meet for the first time until 11 months after chatting online! You can imagine my anxiety, lol. And what if he didn't find me attractive?! Even more devastating!

Well, when I first saw him at the airport and our eyes met, I fell in love with him. Just like that. He was exactly as he had been on the video. Only better because now he was a real, beautiful, warm, living, smiling person in front of me. I wish I could live this moment again. And again lol.

I know not everyone's experience ends up like this, but I think if you have a deep connection with this person and you do love her, then you are going to be overwhelmed with joy when you finally see her. Which is the perfect foundation for true attraction and desire to flourish.

I hope this helps a little. I get anxious, too, sometimes. I know it's not easy.
        "The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again".
        -Charles Dickens

Comment

I think the trauma of being ghosted (what a horrible experience for you) is the biggest factor to your anxiety and it is perfectly normal and understandable that this is happening.
          Unfortunately you can expect it to continue for some time but fortunately it won't be forever and now you recognise it you can try some self talk to remind yourself why it is happening. Maybe expect if for a few months more and see how you go. When you feel the physical affects of the anxiety, don't try to block it out, instead try and recognize it and (hopefully) allow it to pass.
          And, like others have said, LDR is hard. As you get closer to meeting, it's like suddenly the stakes get really high and it's a spin out. So of course your anxiety will rise as you consider all teh possibilities. But this is normal, albiet not fun.
          I've had periods of anxiety in my LDR which have totally run away with me and were horrible. Most of us here can probably share the same. I find for me, my anxiety will be MUCH worse when I am suffering from lack of sleep or other stressful factors in my (non-LDR) life.
          Try to remind yourself how you feel when you're in her company talkng and of all teh good things that give you reason to love her, and for her to love you.
          Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by vivid_idea View Post

I was worried about our in-person attraction before I met my SO. Like you, I don't easily find people physically attractive and it would have been impossible if I did not feel a physical connection in person. I, too, worried that the connection we had online would not translate in person. I was certain that no amount of video calls would tell me what I needed to know. We didn't meet for the first time until 11 months after chatting online! You can imagine my anxiety, lol. And what if he didn't find me attractive?! Even more devastating!

Well, when I first saw him at the airport and our eyes met, I fell in love with him. Just like that. He was exactly as he had been on the video. Only better because now he was a real, beautiful, warm, living, smiling person in front of me. I wish I could live this moment again. And again lol.
            I LOVE your story of your first meeting at the airport Vivid_Idea. Great to read for us soon to meet :-)

Comment

Originally posted by D_M View Post
              I LOVE your story of your first meeting at the airport Vivid_Idea. Great to read for us soon to meet :-)
              Thank you D_M. I hope you get to experience the same joy soon! Do you have a date set yet? I see you are both in Australia. Is it even possible to set a date yet?
              -Charles Dickens

Comment

Yeah, I do. But I should post in a new thread :-)

Comment

Originally posted by D_M View Post
                  Yeah, I do. But I should post in a new thread :-)
                  Saw it!!!
                  -Charles Dickens

Comment

Working...
                  X