The painful goodbyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The painful goodbyes

My SO and I met in Nov 2018 through mutual friends. We are single parents with healthy co parenting relationships and neither of us can move for another 12-15 years.

We live in seperate states and after enjoying a whole week together in June 2020 we sadly agreed to end things because we cannot close the distance anytime soon. We were both heartbroken and it was the most painful and tearful farewell. I sobbed the whole plane flight home.

We tried a period of no contact for a few months, but he reached out and we resumed contact again before Christmas. He said he loved and missed me and that he still thinks about ways we could somehow make this work. He said he wanted to meet up in person and talk.

Because the heart wants what the heart wants..after 7 months apart he came to visit me last weekend. It was amazing. We enjoyed the normal couple things you crave so much.. a dinner date, Sunday breakfast out, a Sunday hike and finished the weekend cooking a home cooked meal together. Nothing fancy, just the simple things most couples take for granted.

We avoided any serious talk of our future..even though that was the point of his visit.. We only had 1.5 days together and spent every moment enjoying each other. Lots of words were exchanged after he left and he said the painful goodbye stirred up so many feelings and he just felt broken and can’t do this for another 12-15 years. He said he loves me but this is slowly killing him.

I am heartbroken. My feelings hadn’t changed during our time apart and I was so hopeful that we may be able to find a way to make this work. From everything he says, he was feeling the same. My head knows this is a major challenge, but my heart wants him so much.

I know how hard the goodbyes are after spending quality time together. I always found it harder leaving his home..I would cry on the plane ride home and feel so sad returning to my life I so desperately wanted him to be a part of. But then a couple of days pass and you feel okay and better again.

I can’t help but worry his decision was reactive and made during that emotional chaos. Does anyone else feel these feelings of hopelessness and giving up after a visit?

I'm so sorry to hear this. While I have never felt like giving up after I visit, I sure have felt hopelessness... but I always knew if he was willing to do this, then so was I. And like you said, the feelings of hopelessness went away for me. Goodbyes just.. suck. There is no other way to say that and I know everyone can agree on it. Maybe he is just having these temporary feelings, but maybe not. You need to talk to him, even if its just to get some closure.
    ~And ever has it been known that Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation~

Comment

Thanks for your advice MsGrim. Goodbyes sure do suck..no other word for them!

Comment

Sorry x
        This totally sucks.

To quote How I met your mother
        Robin: Chemistry. You got chemistry, you only need one other thing.
        Ted: What's that?
        Robin: Timing. But timing's a bitch.

Comment

So true Rezie, timing was not in our favour xx

Comment

Working...
          X