Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Beginning

I'm new to this forum so hi everyone!

My SO and I have just recommenced our LDR. We've been together for a year, and 4 months of that has been spent apart. Now we're starting another 3 months of being in separate countries, and obviously with the Coronavirus situation there is no way we can visit each other in this time. There are things I'm incredibly grateful for: we're in a loving and committed relationship, and we have a rough end date to this period of distance after which we'll be moving in together permanently. So I know that this situation is comparatively not bad compared to some people that have had to endure months or years of being apart.

But I'm struggling. I can't stop watching the clock. I hate this situation and know I don't handle it well but I also know it's worth it to be with him in the end. I have lots of things to keep me busy like work and exercising etc, but I still feel like the days are just endless, and with another three months to go I'm just lost.

He knows how I'm feeling because we call everyday but he also seems to be doing a lot better than me which also just makes me feel really unhelpful and negative. I want to be able to engage with him happily everyday but can't see the sun through the clouds right now..

It would just be really nice to hear some of your thoughts or own experiences as I don't really have anyone to talk about this with.
    Thank you so much for reading <3

Being apart from the person you love is hard! My husband and I have done it for over six years. When I get moody sometimes I think he handles it better than me, because he just doesn't talk about it affecting him. However, different people cope differently, so my advice would be remember that the way he shows his feelings does not make your feelings less valid. Also, long distance has an advantage of forcing you to get to take a step back and really get to know your SO on an intellectual level. As much as you think you know someone, you probably never will know them completely, so take this time to connect emotionally. Three months will fly by before you know it!
    sigpic

Comment

Having an end date helps massively. My advice is to forget about the distance. DO your thing. Chat on the phone. talk about what you have done (well lockdown does not help) etc. so don't dwell on the not being together part. Don't feel bad about him doing better. I do a lot better with distance than my bf. That's because my personality is diferent and I'm more accpeting of "it it what it is" and work with that I have.

Comment

Working...
      X