Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crossing the US boarder for the first time ADVICE PLEASE??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crossing the US boarder for the first time ADVICE PLEASE??

So I am leaving on October 7th to finally see my SO; as he lives in the United States... This is my first time crossing the boarder (FROM CANADA TO THE US) and I am extremely nervous... I was just wondering if you guys knew any helpful tips on what to do and what NOT to do...

I know NOT to:
    1.) Say your going to visit your "boyfriend/girlfriend" instead to say you are visiting a friend and to see the attractions.
    2.) Don't smile too much or too little, keep it short and sweet...basically get right to the point

Any other helpful tips would be much obliged as I am getting very nervous...

You'll be OK, it's not as bad as people say. Be polite and somewhat friendly, say you're a tourist visiting your friend, and just make sure to follow the customs rules and you'll be fine. Watch the people in line ahead of you, see what they do. Remember that your Canadian, and we like Canadians over here, we're used to you visiting On both sides the border is crossed very liberally. Check this out https://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/https://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/ The visa part doesn't apply to you, but it's got a lot of info for international visitors.
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Haha thanks, yes people have been scaring the shit out of me, excuse my language saying they'll reject me and i'll be stuck the US are now NAZI's post 9/11 now it's just what i have been hearing and i'm very nervous

Comment

Originally posted by __ms.jaye View Post
        Haha thanks, yes people have been scaring the shit out of me, excuse my language saying they'll reject me and i'll be stuck the US are now NAZI's post 9/11 now it's just what i have been hearing and i'm very nervous
        Yeah, people say that to my boyfriend, who's flying in next Saturday and I just think ...1.1 million people cross the US border every day, and hardly anyone gets detained.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

:| I never thought it would be complicated or anything. I always thought of it as being like England -> Scotland or something and no one giving a crap haha

How ignorant

Comment

You'll be fine. ^^ I was just as nervous crossing the border from the US to Canada. Though...if you're going through a high-traffic airport you may want to bring something to read while you wait in line. ^^; headed back into the US from Canada I had a 3 hour wait in customs at Toronto because they were understaffed @.@
            but, mainly just answer questions directly, be respectful, don't make jokes about bombs. ^^ They won't have an issue with you.

Comment

Originally posted by sam View Post
              :| I never thought it would be complicated or anything. I always thought of it as being like England -> Scotland or something and no one giving a crap haha

How ignorant
              Actually, I've found England to be a pain in that regard! The US and England are the biggest western terror targets, and they give you the most hassle getting in. I went to Russia over the Summer and was kinda worried about it, but it was a piece of cake, I'm not sure anyone even looked to see if my passport pic was me. I hate flying through Heathrow, it takes forever
              Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I flew someone over from Canada to the States for a fundraiser I was doing. It went fine, and he's been in and out of the U.S. multiple other times. He told me that they're nice enough, and as long as you don't do anything stupid (like talk about bombs, etc) it will go by quickly and will go easy. Pretty much the advice you started with works. We Americans are nice
                EDIT: I should also mention that the last I heard, he was moving to the U.S. Ever heard of the Youtube guy Corey Vidal?

And as far as the U.S. being Nazi's since 9/11... You have nothing to worry about unless you're a terrorist I think people have the mistaken idea that we just deport anyone who looks suspicious. Not true.

Comment

Alright, thanks guys.. it's just so absolutely nerve racking. But I mean I am pretty sure I do not look like a terrorist and you'd have to be some kind of idiot to make a joke about bombs... like really people actually do that? Jeez, but yeah I think it will be easier going back to Canada for sure rather than going to the US.. ALSO I will be travelling by greyhound unfortunately... I'm only freaked out cause my SO made the mistake of saying he was coming to visit his gf and they pulled him in for interegation.. and they ended up calling me, asking questions like if we plan on getting married having kids how we met etc, and they had to speak to my parents as well making it clear that we will be held responsible as his Canadian sponsors... my SO told me the boarder patrol officer told him the only reason they let him past was because he had a return ticket and enough money.

Comment

You're coming from Canada, you'll be fine. You should be more worried if you were coming from Mexico, especially into Arizona. They fucking hate us there. Racist bastards...Us and Asians for some reason O_o. Anyway, as long as you don't hand over a Pokemon card covered in green duct tape (I'll explain if you ask XP), or make any terrorism jokes then you should be fine. Just tell them something like seeing friends or family. It isn't a lie. Warning, there are some guys who might wanna make you their bitch, so just be compliant and they won't have a reason to do it. You'll know as you talk to them what type of border patrol agent you got.

Don't do what my uncle did! He is an American citizen born in Washington, and looks as white as they come (despite being Puerto Rican and part black lol). He was coming back from Mexico with his family and make a joke about not having a green card (which was true since he was a citizen). He was detained for like 6 hours before they realized he was being an idiot and let him go XP.

Comment

ooo this is a good thread.....can someone tell me what to expect when i go through scotland customs?

Comment

Working...
                      X