Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I overreacting?

Hi everyone!
    Let me begin by saying a bit about my relationship. We have been dating since May 2019; it was our love of Disney parks that brought us together. My bf is from New Jersey and he enjoys flying to Florida a few times a year to enjoy the theme parks, vlog, and take photos. He has been doing this way before we met. I am from south florida, about 3.5 hours south of orlando for reference. Since he and I began talking/dating, he has come down to orlando a few times in which many of those times I have not been able to see him either because my mother didn't let me or I was tight on money. Nevertheless, it always bothers me when he comes to florida and we don't see each other. So now, he is coming to Florida this week to spend time hopping around theme parks in orlando....for 4 days. He makes zero effort to come and see me in south florida when he's in orlando, so he definitely won't see me this week when he's there. He is going to a lot of scary halloween events so honestly, I dont see the point of me spending money meeting him at events I won't get to enjoy because I hate scary things. But I figured, since he will be in orlando all those days, why not come and visit me at least for a few hours, ya know?

I have brought this up to him before...not just this time. He tells me it doesn't make sense for him to spend money on renting a car or taking a plane ride to south florida because then he will waste a whole day here with me rather than using the day at the parks. And that gets me so upset lol. Like dude, if I went to NJ or surrounding areas, you bet your butt I will do everything in my power to go spend some time with you somehow. He always has some explanation as to why it doesnt make sense to come down and see me and it breaks my heart a bit..a lot actually. I get upset and petty with him. Because no matter how many times I tell him that I hate the situation, he does nothing to make it better. He just says we will see each other soon. It's annoying. He's a great boyfriend, he is caring and I do see a future with him, but seems somewhat childish and selfish in this arena...at least I feel like he is. He is almost 40 and I am almost 30...I think we should focus more on spending lots of time together than going to theme parks. Or am I wrong?

He claims he wants to move to FL in a few months, perhaps in the spring. And you guessed it, he wants to move to orlando to be close to theme parks. This has been his plan way before I came into his life, and whatever, its fine. I accept it. I'm ok with trying out living in orlando together. I prefer south florida better, but lets see how it goes. My point is, I feel like he might be too into theme parks. He didn't get to go to disney and universal much as a kid, grew up in a lower-income home, so now he has some decent money and is living out all these dreams I guess he had as a child. He also needs therapy to address some issues that happened in his childhood, and I feel like that's why he is somewhat stuck doing all this kid stuff. Not really realizing that we should be spending as much time as possible together. COVID has already impeded us so much from being together so we need to make up for it! I have traveled to NJ once to be with him over there. I would've gone more, but my family is very hispanic and they just didn't feel comfortable with me traveling alone to NJ to be with my bf until, no joke, May of this year lol. And I also want to add that I have made the effort to drive up to orlando to spend time with him when he visits. He has come to south florida too to visit me a few times as well, yes. But he hasn't been down here since March. And it honestly BREAKS my heart to know that he is a 3.5-hour drive away (a bit tedious, but at least not a whole plane ride away) and I won't see him and he won't make any effort to see me. He just wants to go to the parks and vlog and all that stuff.

Am I overreacting? My parents hate that he does this to me. If they find out he's in orlando having the time of his life and I'm down here in south florida and he's not even making an effort to come see me KNOWING that I'm sad/disappointed, I will never hear the end of it lol. They'll judge him so hard and say that he's so selfish and childish and eating so much crap. That he should be saving money to move to FL and spending his vacation time to FL visiting me. I mean...if he wants to move to orlando, he will have all the time in the world to go to the parks often. So why does he prioritize the parks and not spending even more time with me? Although we talk daily, nothing beats actually getting to know each other more in person. We might live together. We might marry each other. I think spending time together is a bit more important than spending time at parks to vlog events, no? *side note: he spends pretty much every weekend of spring and summer going to amusement parks near him or up to 6 hours away from him. So he is willing to do weekend road trips to visit other amusement parks, but wont rent a car at the very least to come spend some time together when he is in FL*

Tell me your thoughts/opinions. If your significant other was visiting nearby you and didn't try to visit you, how would you feel?

First, Thing is, in relationship is you need balance. People said, in love, you shall give and never expect anything in return. But i think personally this is wrong. Because some people might abuse it, just like your SO.
    You gave so much in this relationship, but i somehow didnt see his part of effort. Why chasing him so hard? it will eventually drain you because you kept giving your time and effort for him.
    2nd, in beginning of relationship i think you already aware of who he is, and what his upbringing. This dude sound like he got some peter pan syndrome.
    He think he is a child and will never think he will wants to grow up.
    Thing is, you know this, but still you seems you want him.
    I've seen too many of my friends doing this, thinking this men will change. Some men does, but most, they wont. They wont until they want the change themselves.
    You sound you are ready for a mature relationship, but he sound like he's not. He sounds like your theme park buddy. You shared same hobby, but relationship wise?
    So, this is just my personal opinion, reading what you wrote there.
    To be honest, dont ever chase a guy, unless you know the consequences and he is actually worth all of your effort and time.
    I am so, sorry if i sound harsh. But, better to find someone who REALLY seriously appreciate you and all of your effort.

Comment

Working...
    X