Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

America

Hi all

This isn't a question or anything really, just need to vent.

Why aren't we being given an actual date of when America will open its borders to the EU and UK?

'Early November' just isn't good enough! This was announced two weeks ago.

It feels like they're stalling. I can't even see it happening!

Sorry, the lack of information and ever changing goalposts are not good for anyone's mental health. I'm struggling more now I think than during all the Lockdowns and it's affecting my work and day to day life. The constant waiting on other people :-(

I can't be alone in feeling like this, surely? :-(

Hi Kate,

Lovely to see your name pop up, but I am sorry it can't be under better circumstances. I can't offer any advice but I can totally understand how you are feeling. International LDR is the worst right now. The isolation between people in the same country is already huge, let alone when you throw oceans into the mix. We are still under lock and key over here and some of our state borders are still closed.

We have to hope that we have done the hardest yards now and, with increasing vaccine rates, international flying will resume. Fingers crossed. Hang in there and feel free to send over a message if you ever need some extra support.

Love.
    "The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again".
    -Charles Dickens

Comment

Hello! I haven’t seen you for ages? How’s tricks? X

Comment

Yeah, everything has been pretty quiet here hey? I look around from time to time. I'm doing well. Just getting on with life, and trying to keep positive
        "The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again".
        -Charles Dickens

Comment

Originally posted by kate04 View Post
          Hi all

This isn't a question or anything really, just need to vent.

Why aren't we being given an actual date of when America will open its borders to the EU and UK?

'Early November' just isn't good enough! This was announced two weeks ago.

It feels like they're stalling. I can't even see it happening!

Sorry, the lack of information and ever changing goalposts are not good for anyone's mental health. I'm struggling more now I think than during all the Lockdowns and it's affecting my work and day to day life. The constant waiting on other people :-(

I can't be alone in feeling like this, surely? :-(
          Maybe meeting in 3rd country is an option if the waiting is too long?

Comment

It's looking that way.
            To be honest, if the US govt said, it's all delayed till 1st Jan, I'd be hacked off but at least we'd have concrete information.
            It's the lack of transparency, information and moving of goalposts that is messing with people's minds :-(

Comment

Hi Kate, I'm right there with you. The closed border thing is the worst, especially with premiers etc being cagey about opening dates. It feels like they are playing games and it makes LDR so much more difficult.
              Hold in there. Early November isn't too far off and even if you do aim for January, then you might get an earlier surprise. I do feel we are closer to the end of this Covid thing than the beginning and things will start opening up soon... just not soon enough ;-) But we'll get there.

Comment

We will and thank you for your reply.
                It helps to know we’re not alone.
                I’m happy to say it was announced that borders open on 8 November and I’ve booked a ticket for 9th.
                It feels surreal. I’m not sure I’m even excited because of fear of cancellation etc and I think the whole thing has been traumatising.
                I’m also very mindful of those of us who are still separated by nonsensical border decisions.
                Love to all and I hope we’re all reunited soon x

Comment

That's great news Kate. I've very happy for you and jealous too. Have a great trip!

Comment

Thank you. I’m terrified though. The covid numbers are soaring here in the uk and it’s all depressingly familiar suggestions in the media of work from home orders possibly being reintroduced if numbers don’t reduce.
                    I’m trying to remain optimistic, I really am but that feeling of deja vu…

Comment

Oh no. I know exactly what you mean. You think we're out of this mess and then things start rolling backwards.
                      We've been in lockdown here for 4 months and it has finally eased, and very quickly. The whole country seems to be feeling more optimistic with many borders staged to open before Christmas. Exciting times, except for me as my SO is in the one state that has a completely closed borders to my state and won't even talk about a roadmap. I hope this will change but it is the uncertainty above all else that kills me.
                      Fingers crossed for you Kate. I guess it's more important what the US do than the UK.

Comment

Working...
                      X