No announcement yet.

Having to learn a new language?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My SO can only speak English. His german is only limited to "Ja, ja" (yes, yes) and "Ich liebe dich" (i love you) lol
    And since I am the one who wants to move over to him I dont find it necessary for him to speak German or Croatian.
    He did say that he wants to take German at college next semester cause he couldnt get in this one and once he offered to learn Croatian cause of my family but I said I dont want it lol He will learn it soon enough, no need to stress him with that now ^^

Comment

Andy and his family speak English and Welsh and even though I'd manage perfectly fine with just English when talking to them I really wanna learn some Welsh, it's such a beautiful language! And also so God damn hard :|

Some of the letters are impossible to pronounce! Oh and this:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch

It is an actual town name in Wales - good luck with trying to say it!

Comment

Since I'm in California and he's in Texas we're good with English! yay! I'm really bad at learning languages so I'm happy that we're good with english

Comment

My SO is trying to learns Spanish, and I am trying to learn German. We communicate in English.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanja View Post

And Andy said Finnish is hard??
            How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good-bye so hard!

Comment

Originally posted by Tanja View Post

Surely you jest. Imagine writing that on an envelope for mail.

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

I am always SO happy both of our first languages are English O.o I'm terrible at learning new languages, even Spanish which half my family speaks and even though I can understand it half the time, when I speak it my attempts are laughable. While we both think it'd be fun to someday learn a second language thank goodness it's not necessary

Sometimes though when I think of my parents I'm a little surprised I was ever born xD My dad didn't speak a lick of English when they met and my mom learned Spanish to speak with him. She now speaks it fluently and it's always amusing at how shocked people are when this totally white lady busts out in Spanish with the perfect accent! My dad speaks English now too as he became a US citizen, but whoa...he still even now mispronounces some words and it just hits me how difficult it really is to learn a new language O.o

Comment

Originally posted by Tanja

Reminds me of when I was traveling around New Zealand and came to a town on the north island where a nearby hill had the simple Maori name:"Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateahaumaitawhiti urehaeaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokacockiwhenua kitanatahu"
                  Thank goodness they have a shorter version of "Taumata"

Comment

Nope, luckily we both speak English.

But we are both learning German together so we can speak to my Oma and Opa.

Comment

My SO is Bilingual. His first language is Spanish and he taught himself English when he was in Elementary School :3 So it's not really necessary that I learn Spanish but it would probably win points with his parents if I did learn since his parents don't know English very well xP

First Met Online: May 08
                      Became a Couple: 4.11.09
                      First Visit: 7.27.11 - 8.11.11
                      Second Visit: 9.15.12 - 9.23.12
                      Third Visit: 7.6.13 - 7.14.13

Comment

Does learning to speak like a New Yorker count? XD There are times I have no clue what they're saying hahaha
                        But no, we both speak English luckily (: Although I love languages and pick them up well so I wouldn't have minded learning a new one~
                        Met: 2.20.10
                        Started Dating: 4.22.10
                        Been an LDR since: 4.22.10
                        First time meeting irl: 6.28.10 - 7.18.10
                        Last time I saw my SO: 9.16.10 - 9.22.10
                        Closed the Distance: 10.9.10

Comment

We both speak English, but we have very strong connections to our respective ethnicity (me, Puerto Rico- him, Belgian/Israel). He tried learning Spanish but ended up picking up more while spending time with my family, haha. I'm still learning French as I'd like to be a polygot and he speaks it fairly fluently. He also wants to learn German since his family is from Eupen (a town in the German speaking part of Belgium).

Comment

We're both American, and obivously speak English. However, his dad's family is from Italy. So he speaks some Italian, and would like to learn more.

If we ever get married, I'd like to learn a little so I can understand what his family is saying during holidays (they thrown in a lot of Italian phrases and slang).

Comment

He speaks very fluent English, only has a few mistakes; But I do want to learn a bit of the Czech language, since I don't want him to have to be the translator for me when I attempt to communicate with his friends xD
                              Me: I hope that pizza gets here soon. My stomach is growling.
                              Growling at you.
                              Grrr.

Muffin: *pokes stomach* ^=^

Me: *stomach growls*
                              I don't think it likes you very much.

Muffin: *pokes stomach* Hehe

Me: You're provoking it as it growls more. I think it'll like you more if you give it pizza.

Comment

Both of my bf and i speak English, so we are good with that. But for some odd reason he wants to learn Romanian, so i'm teaching him that. Hopefully in the future there could be two languages we can speak to each other

Comment

Working...
                                X