Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now he may be moving away even farther...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now he may be moving away even farther...

I live in Colorado and my SO in Dallas. We've been in a LDR for a little bit over a year now. Recently my SO may be moving to New Zealand for a contract job for about 6 months or more. With possibility of it going full-time. After he's been having a hard time finding a job for over a year now something seems to be working out for him now. I'm happy for him and all but the question is what is going to happen with us. I'm not going to stop him if he gets the job...but visiting is going to be harder and he doesn't really talk about a future together between us either.

Any advice on what I should say? And when? I don't want to ruin the moment and he is very excited about it as well.

Say that you'll support him, no matter what. That's one of the best things that you can do..especially since he is excited. I know it's going to be hard to say, but you have to do it. For him. He needs this job, just as much as he needs your support with it. Think of it as a new opening for you too, you get to visit him. In New Zealand! Different scenery, culture...they have kiwis! lol
    If you really think that your relationship is strong enough, you can do it. =)
    It might be harder on both of you, but that means when you see each other it will mean that much more.
    Think of it as another step in your LDR, if you can get past this, and he does come back home eventually, however long he may be there, you'll come out stronger than ever, and your love will continue to grow and grow through the process as well.
    I wish you both the very best, and I hope I helped a lil bit. =]

Comment

New Zealand really is far away. My SO lives there. It's so expensive that we can only visit like twice a year. That might stop soon though if we run out of money. BUT... New Zealand is a beautiful country. Many people want to go there. So if your SO should work there soon... you might be able to live there one day. Amazing.

Comment

Yea, it is really far! How much did it cost you to go visit your SO?

You guys must be better than me at this long distance thing

Comment

Tell him that you're excited and support him fully (and make sure your tone of voice/ tone of text reflects that) and then say "but I am curious where it leaves us".
          You have a right to know. It's ok to ask these questions.

International LDR can suck, especially the financial side and for a lot of people the time difference does too (I liked the time difference ) but it is do-able. Having an ocean in the way isn't "the end" unless you choose for it to be.
          Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Originally posted by COgrl789 View Post

It cost around 3000 euros. So like... 4000 dollars? Way too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by NaNi View Post
              It cost around 3000 euros. So like... 4000 dollars? Way too expensive.
              Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by COgrl789 View Post

it all depends on when you book your trip....there are flights anywhere from $1500-4000. It really all depends on when you book them and how many stops
                it's not a dream anymore, it's worth fighting for

Comment

Well, I would tell him you're excited for him, and I would ask him how he feels this will affect you guys. I think it's important to get his perspective over whether he's still willing to make your relationship work, regardless of the distance.

I can promise you, LDR's of that magnitude do work. Australia and NZ are very close, so I'm with you on the distance... and it can work, really.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Working...
                  X