Jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jobs

Personally, I'm trying to figure out how to retire... but while I"m working on that (might take awhile) I have to have a job. What do you do for a living? What does your SO do? How do you see these relating to a move if you are planning to CD?
    Three words. Fill my racing mind. Leave me breathless. Lost in time.
    Three words. Fill my endless dreams. Repair my heart. Mend the seams.
    Three words. Fill your heart too. Three words pronounced. I love you.

~~~~~~

You look in the mirror, you don't like what you see, don't believe it.
    Look in my eyes, I am the only mirror you're ever gonna need.

Met online: 12/24/10 Met In Person: 2/24/11 Distance Closed: 4/24/11
    Not one regret, not one backwards look, only towards the future and beyond!

I am a mobile dog groomer. So is a firefighter/paramedic ft and a police officer pt. he is currently also working on his masters degree to be a nurse practitioner. he will be moving here to me - he wants to work in a major trauma center. he has an incredibly good head on his shoulders financially. has the long term plan already figured out.
    everything happens for a reason. We may never find out what that reason is/was, but there is a reason.

Comment

I still have a long way to 'officially' retire . I am an Administrative Assistant for a Government Agency right now but I'm doing my B.Sc In Business with a major in Accounting after which I will be doing my M.Sc in Accounting so I am looking for a career move in the next 3 -4 years. My SO is a chef de Partie on a cruise ship and he will be continuing in that field for probably a few more years so it is likely that our CD relationship is going to happen every 6 - 9 months for 2 - 4 months at a time.

Comment

I see that as one of our biggest obstacles...

I'm a legal assistant in a pretty specialized field of law, it's a real specialty and I'm pretty darn great at it. So I know the laws here in FL. But I have no clue of the laws where he is in NH. Plus, since it's specialized there aren't many firms that do what I do, and legal assisting positions are mostly about who you know. Moving to an area where I have no connections and in a state I don't know the laws makes it difficult to find work in my field. I could go into another line of work, but I love the law.

My SO is a store manager for a tire place. He did restaurant management for 20 years and switched into retail about 4 years ago. He really likes what he does too and I think his skills are more easily transferable than mine. Unfortunately, I live in a pretty badly hit area with this economy so there isn't anything available for him here right now.

Comment

I'm a teacher- one of the most mobile professions around! The reason we decided it would be best for me to move down to CR was because it would be easier for me to get a job. Native English speakers are highly sought and it was fairly easy for me to land a job.

My SO is an engineer and has been working at his company for over 10 years. Though, he still hasn't finished his degree. That's what he's working on now. Once he finishes, we plan on moving back to the USA. He knows he won't get hired at the level he should be, but he's a really hard worker and is quite willing to start at the bottom and work his way up. Even if he got hired at an entry level position in the USA, he'd make about 3xs what he makes now. This is one of the reasons we want to settle in the USA. He told me his goal is to earn enough so I don't have to work full time. Which would be awesome!!!!

Comment

I am an English teacher living in China. My SO is an insurance salesman in Michigan. We are both working very hard on our careers for these 2 years so that we can successfully close the distance and have a good life together after these two years.

Comment

blankita I understand about the legal field. I worked in a specialized field as well, post judgment collections, and knew that when I moved to Texas the laws would be completely different than what my experience was. I played around with finding a job here in that field anyway but nothing really came of it. In truth, I was a little burned out on it and was looking at other areas as well. What wound up happening was that on a visit here we were looking at apartments, just to see what was out there preparing for a move later in the year and I got offered a job on the spot as a leasing agent... so my move was moved forward by a LOT lol

I worked there and we lived there for about 6 months, and then I was hired at another job where I am still working. Currently I'm working in a Verizon call center as a customer care agent and love it. It has it's moments but it's so laid back and easy - vastly different than what I was used to by far. My SO worked in retail after I moved for nearly a year but now he is at the call center as well, only as a tech support agent. Same hours, same off days and we ride back and forth to work together each day. Definitely helps on the gas mileage.

The only vestige of my old life that still lingers is that I've been working for awhile on a book about legal collections for the general public, generally of things they don't know to ask as a help for people that have been caught up in that legal net. I'm far from an attorney, but working in the field for 15 years I'm qualified for that part of it at least. The job I have now doesn't have half the stress that was involved with the legal aspect and I don't have to deal with cranky attorneys
              Three words. Fill my racing mind. Leave me breathless. Lost in time.
              Three words. Fill my endless dreams. Repair my heart. Mend the seams.
              Three words. Fill your heart too. Three words pronounced. I love you.

~~~~~~

You look in the mirror, you don't like what you see, don't believe it.
              Look in my eyes, I am the only mirror you're ever gonna need.

Met online: 12/24/10 Met In Person: 2/24/11 Distance Closed: 4/24/11
              Not one regret, not one backwards look, only towards the future and beyond!

Comment

Leilanijoi - I work in auto subrogation/collections law That's kind of funny! Some one showed me an article online about the top stress free jobs and paralegal was on the list. I laughed - this is the most stressful job I've ever had! But I've been doing it for almost 9 years and worked for another lawyer in family law/estate planning for not quite 2. Because each state is so different about what they can and can't do, it would be like starting all over again. The book you're working on sounds like a great idea!

I look online all the time in his area just to get a sense of what else is available. Because I deal with insurance a lot, I've considered going to school to be an insurance agent/underwriter if I moved up there. I went to school to be a legal assistant though, so it feels like it's a waste if I started over doing anything else.

Comment

I work for a auto auction. Mainly ap/ar type things. My SO has owned a tattoo shop for the past 14 years.

Comment

I graduated to be an IT-support person in 2005 but I couldn't find any work in that field. So I ended up working for my dad for 6 years and pretty much hated it the whole time. But I had bills and a mortgage to pay so.. grrr lol. But then last year I got laid off and decided this is my chance to do what I really want to do.

And my true passion are animals

So now I'm studying to be an animal care taker and I'm LOVING it! The only down side is that there is close to zero employment in that field in my area... But I have thought about starting my own business so that I wouldn't have to move. We'll see what happens, I graduate next year so I still have time to plan

My SO has a first class degree in Maths from a University in Britain and he's starting a job on the 2nd of July as a PPI agent for a bank. Something to do with insurances, bank accounts and complaints, that's all I know

Comment

My SO and I are both teacher, but not for English or other languages. We both make a career in each country. So now we have no plans to close the distance.

Comment

I'm a marketing director for a financial institution with goals of becoming a CEO. My fiance is currently working in a warehouse-type job and has struggled on finding something he both enjoys and makes a good living at. Therefore, it was a no-brainer that when we decided to get married and close the distance, he'd move here to Texas. He's considering going into the firefighter profession. I'm trying to utilize my contacts to find him something else as I don't particularly like the idea of him being in such a dangerous career. :\ We shall see...

Met: November 19, 2010
                        Tim came to Texas: April 27, 2011
                        Made it official: April 29, 2011
                        Lori went to England: September 21, 2011
                        Mini trip to Paris: September 22, 2011
                        Tim popped the question: September 22, 2011
                        K-1 Visa approved!: May 21, 2012
                        Closed the distance!: July 26, 2012
                        Got married: September 22, 2012

Comment

@captivated, firefighting isnt that dangerous, especially if he doesnt do it it in a big city. My ex husband and my current so are both firefighters. The only problem is it take a toll on the body. its a very physically demanding job. And the plus side is that they only work 3 24 hour shifts a week. Once he gets the initial training down, he could get a job at the airport, or an outlying city and run mostly first responder calls.
                          everything happens for a reason. We may never find out what that reason is/was, but there is a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by subeasley View Post
                            @captivated, firefighting isnt that dangerous, especially if he doesnt do it it in a big city. My ex husband and my current so are both firefighters. The only problem is it take a toll on the body. its a very physically demanding job. And the plus side is that they only work 3 24 hour shifts a week. Once he gets the initial training down, he could get a job at the airport, or an outlying city and run mostly first responder calls.
                            I live in Houston :s And know many firefighters...I'm just a worrier I guess lol But you're right, the shift schedule is ideal. Whatever he wants to do, I'd fully support (well except being a stripper or something lol).

Met: November 19, 2010
                            Tim came to Texas: April 27, 2011
                            Made it official: April 29, 2011
                            Lori went to England: September 21, 2011
                            Mini trip to Paris: September 22, 2011
                            Tim popped the question: September 22, 2011
                            K-1 Visa approved!: May 21, 2012
                            Closed the distance!: July 26, 2012
                            Got married: September 22, 2012

Comment

I'm very fortunate that my profession is mobile and it will be much easier (I hope) to find a job in his state than mine. I'm an English and Social Studies teacher, but have certifications in several areas. I know I'll be moving there and I can't wait! I've put out the applications and have my fingers crossed that something will be offered so I'll definitely have a job. The only draw back is that I'll have to find a job teaching to be able to pay off medical bills and student loans. There is no way I'll saddle that poor man with all of my debt.

Comment

Working...
                              X