speaking of exes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speaking of exes

so got a letter in the mail yesterday from the IRS. The year following their divorce, the ex did something on their taxes that she wasnt supposed to. It has been thru the court, she got reprimanded, ordered to pay fines etc several times over. This past year, she was held in contempt of court bcause she still hadnt amended the return.
    So this week, so get this letter stating that since the ex hadnt paid any of the fines or what was owed, they would start garnishing HIS checks to collect the money (which is now over $10,000)! So he has to hire a tax attorney to get this shit figured out. Worst of it is that he has a govt grant for his masters which may get taken away because of this.
    if you dont get along with your spouse, just be done with it, work it out civilly and walk away. There is no need for these stupid games - no one wins.
    everything happens for a reason. We may never find out what that reason is/was, but there is a reason.

Sorry to hear that and yes, being able to walk away and leave three situation is best. Luckily once the divorces are through we will be able to do just that.
    Three words. Fill my racing mind. Leave me breathless. Lost in time.
    Three words. Fill my endless dreams. Repair my heart. Mend the seams.
    Three words. Fill your heart too. Three words pronounced. I love you.

~~~~~~

You look in the mirror, you don't like what you see, don't believe it.
    Look in my eyes, I am the only mirror you're ever gonna need.

Met online: 12/24/10 Met In Person: 2/24/11 Distance Closed: 4/24/11
    Not one regret, not one backwards look, only towards the future and beyond!

Comment

The only ones that win in divorce/custody/property settlement cases are the lawyers...

Comment

how can they garnish his checks if your SO and his wife were divorced when she starting doing this stuff? I'm glad he hired a tax attorney. he needs to fight this. good luck, hun!

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry View Post
          how can they garnish his checks if your SO and his wife were divorced when she starting doing this stuff? I'm glad he hired a tax attorney. he needs to fight this. good luck, hun!
          Yeah, I don't know anything about tax law and all that, but if the divorce was finalized before she did anything, I don't see how that legally has anything to do with your SO. Good luck to him with fighting this - I hope everything gets resolved with as little pain as possible!

Comment

when they got the divorce, it was written out who would claim what on their taxes. She apparently claimed something she wasnt suppossed to, and he claimed it as well (as he was suppossed to). IRS kept his refund the following year to make up for it, asuming he was in the wrong. Went back to court, she was told to have refund amended. She procrastinated, then it went back to court, she lied to judge telling him that SO was refusing to supply certain documents needed to amend return. It was again court ordered to have retun amended by a certain date. Return got amended, but IRS put mistake on him and has been keeping his refunds ever since. Went back to court, she was held in contempt and ordered to pay what was owed. She still hasnt paid anything. He went to IRS office and was told that they were missing a specific form that was needed to take his name off the mistake. But it is a bank that he doesnt use and they wont give him the form without a court order. So back to court he goes.
            When he told her he wanted the divorce, she said "if youleave me, I will take you for everything you have". And she hired a high price attorney and did just that.
            everything happens for a reason. We may never find out what that reason is/was, but there is a reason.

Comment

Sometimes it's easier just to let them have the material things and walk away. I've done that before. There was nothing to "take" because I left with my clothes and my car... and my dignity.
              Three words. Fill my racing mind. Leave me breathless. Lost in time.
              Three words. Fill my endless dreams. Repair my heart. Mend the seams.
              Three words. Fill your heart too. Three words pronounced. I love you.

~~~~~~

You look in the mirror, you don't like what you see, don't believe it.
              Look in my eyes, I am the only mirror you're ever gonna need.

Met online: 12/24/10 Met In Person: 2/24/11 Distance Closed: 4/24/11
              Not one regret, not one backwards look, only towards the future and beyond!

Comment

Yay! he got the form, and got her to sign it. Told her if she didnt he would take her back to court and they would hold her in contempt and she could possibly go to jail. She tried to claim that she had been mailing payments, but "apparently had the wrong address as only 2 of the checks had been cashed" and ya didnt look into why they werent cashing them? So he wont know anything until the amended return is accepted. But if all goes as it should, this will take his name off it for good.

Comment

Working...
                X