Closing Distance so Complicated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing Distance so Complicated!

Hey all, long time reader, first time poster here. I've been in my first-ever LDR with my love for almost 9 months now. We made it official in Feb, and we're both over 30 (I am 30, he is 31.) Neither one of us has kids or previous marriages (although I've had a previous 6-year engagement that ended badly, with abuse and alcoholism being the major issues.) We both live in the U.S., although about 750 miles apart. We weren't really "looking for love" or anything, it just sort of happened. We were both part of an online gaming community so we knew each other for about a year previously, as acquaintances, and shortly after I became single again we started talking more and more... I'm sure many of you know how that goes.

Gosh, what can I say? Long-distance relationship. Oh boy, even the term just implies tribulation, doesn't it. Well anyway, I feel like I just sort of fell into it. I love him so very much, and he loves me too. I can't imagine life without him - we have things in common, but more importantly, when I am emotional about things, he is so comforting and understanding and guides me through my own thoughts and feelings and I end up feeling so much better after talking with him. We've spent time together IRL about 6 times so far, for 2-4 days at a time (we both have full-time jobs and I personally, get zero vacation time at my work until I put in a year.) The time I spend with him is, simply amazing - I am unbelievably happy just being next to him, I love doing things that make him happy, the sex is phenomenal, and he is the sweetest, most perfect man I have ever met. In short, I can definitely see myself spending the rest of my life with this man if he chose to have me.

Sooo, what's the issue? Well... I'm sure a lot of you will understand when I say, it's "closing the distance." He is a very realistic sort of fellow and wants to start our life together unburdened. Which means, paying off his student loans, credit card debt, and whatever-else may be a large expense (car repairs etc.) While I am someone who has lived with a partner before, and struggled with similar financial difficulties, I can both appreciate his wishes and also think, "We can be together and do it at the same time!", but I digress. I told him I understood, and he shared with me his own fears of change, never living on his own before, and especially never living with a romantic interest before. So, okay. I get it.

Currently, he moved back in with family from a room-mate situation in order to save money and pay down such things. And for what its worth, a lot of people are doing similar things these days. So, ever since March of this year, the "plan" was, for him to do that (which he is doing, admirably, although he does splurge once in a while to buy me plane tickets to go see him, he has picked up extra work at his job and the odd freelance here and there), and then I would move in with him and his family (father, actually,) and we would spend 1-2 months in that situation while we found a place to live and I could look for a job (I have an excellent job history and it would be no problem for me to find *something*.) The big reason for me moving to his area instead of vice versa is basically, he has a career there, that could lead to a substantial promotion in the next couple years, while my job has zero growth potential and the area I live in is saturated with too many job seekers and not enough jobs.)

So now that I've shared all of the background, heh, I guess I should move on to what my actual issue is. Basically, it's this - I don't think I want to move in with him and his dad anymore. Let me tell you why. First of all, I've "lived" with both my first and second boyfriends families previously (for different reasons), and it's always felt weird. It just feels mega awkward to me, moving into someone else's home that isn't mine. So both of those experiences, while they were all gracious people, really just made me feel like some imposing extra person. Secondly, due to the short nature of our IRL visits, I don't know his father, at all. On top of that, he is slightly eccentric. I have a touch of social anxiety, and I just feel like living in someone else's home, at 30 years old, would cause me to be anxious and nervous the whole time, feeling like I should make myself invisible, and that's just not ME, and not what I want for our relationship. In a perfect world, my love could get his own place, and I could move in, and contribute of course, but at least in that regard, i would feel like the place was partly mine too, and I wouldn't feel weird about it.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, this weekend I decided to tell my love how I feel about this. The sad reality is, if that is the way I need it, we will go much longer being apart, and I would actually probably refuse any offers of plane tickets and such to go see him (fucking $400-$500 just to fly up the east coast in the U.S.), because it's simply money that is keeping us apart. I am prepared to tell him that I am willing to work out a budget to put an actual figure on what I myself need to save up in order to move there to be with him under those circumstances, and then I remember that it's almost holiday season, which means Christmas shopping, and I also remember other bills I want to take care of, like medical/dental things, and my heart just drops to the floor. I may be an intelligent 30 year old with college credits and an excellent work history going back to when i was 17, but this stupid area I live in (the South) only values me at a certain $ amount per hour, with no health insurance. I live with family now too after the breakup of my engagement, and while I don't have to pay rent, I do have bills, and saving will take some time. It's not necessarily bad but, the original "plan" of me moving to be with him, was supposed to happen before the year ended. If I decide I don't want to move in with his dad, it will be into next year. And that just makes me so very sad. Even the thought makes me start to cry. Not seeing him, not touching him, not being next to him for god knows how long. The longest we've been apart was 2 months - and that almost drove me crazy.

I don't want to give up on this - I've never been the type to give up on a relationship unless things turned very bad. Please tell me I'm not crazy for wanting to start our life together on my terms too? ><

First of all welcome! I'm so happy to hear your story. Who doesn't get giddy at the prospect of there being true love in the world?

Take a deep breath darling. You are not crazy. again. You. Are NOT. Crazy. I promise. I'm on the younger end, but in a similar situation in which my plans to close the distance with my four year SO have changed drastically from what I thought they'd be. I completely understand your anxiety about living with your SO's father. It's a big thing to move in with someone new and as you would be getting to know your SO on such an intimate level it may be odd to have a third party in the house. Add the strange environment that is in no way your own and your thoughts and feelings make absolute sense. So what is the solution? It seems to me like you have a difficult choice to make. Obviously there are negatives accompanying both arrangements. One. . . you must wait for perhaps for too long and the other means starting off feeling uncomfortable. I would suggest you share these feelings with your SO without coming to a decision. Let him know your worries and anxieties and let him be a part of the solution. The best thing about having a wonderful significant other is not having to go through anything alone.

I encourage you to remember your comment about him helping you through your own feelings and making you feel better when you're upset. . . know that if you move in with him and his father he will be there loving you and doing what he can to make you more comfortable. I am no stranger to social anxiety, but with my SO by my side those situations are much more tolerable. A little anxiety may be worth getting to be with your SO that much sooner and it doesn't sound like you'd be in the situation long.

I hope this helps in some minute way. Please keep us posted on your situation.

Comment

Mfashnik, thank you so much for your response and kind words. I did talk to my love and not only did he understand, I think he felt the same way too. So right now, we are just playing it by ear, which sucks, but honestly it's not much different than what we were already doing. On my end, I have decided to look for jobs that would allow me to transfer to his area (I even applied for one tonight! Although I'm under-qualified lol, I laid it on thick in the cover letter!). I may not find much in that regard in my area but at least I can feel like I'm doing *something*. The hardest part for me is that I can't just pick up and drive to see him. I've always been a my-car-is-my-freedom roadtripping kind of person, but there's just not enough hours in the day.

He told me before he met me, he had accepted going through life alone. (Which just breaks my heart, since he is so wonderful.) As a result he is so adverse to any kind of change, even if its for the better. Sometimes I just wish he would not be so uncomfortable with it, and take a chance with me. I can certainly understand wanting to protect yourself and what you have, but at the same time it kind of kills that whole "I'd do anything to be with you" feeling. I guess I just fear that in time, I may just have to put my foot down and say "You want to be with me, or you don't." I pray it never comes to that of course, but I also know it'll be an awful, awful feeling turning 31 on my own next March, when I already shared my 30th with him...
      Last edited by blackframez; October 30, 2012, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X