Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anxiety over telling my dad I'm moving...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anxiety over telling my dad I'm moving...

I'm posting this here because while I see a lot of threads like this, most come from teenagers or 20 year olds. I'm about to be 27 and while logic tells me I shouldn't be *this* terrified, I am.

I'm a grown woman, I've been on my own since I was 19, married and divorced, and I'm having the mother of all anxiety attacks about telling my dad I'm leaving the country. I have to think somewhere deep down he knows. He's met Luke, knows how I feel about him, I've made it very apparent we're in this for the long haul, so he has to know someone is moving. And he knows Luke has a child which means there's no way he can reasonably move here.

My dad's 70. He had me late in life, I have a half sister who's 16 years older than I am. She lives nearby with her family. My dad also has a girlfriend (who I hate but that's another story), his mom, his siblings, and friends all around to support him and help him out with whatever he needs. Still, historically speaking, it's usually me. So I'm finding myself so so worried about who's going to be be around to go to lunch with him or pick him up when needed from the doctor's. He's perfectly functional, just has some health issues that require treatment every now and again. Mostly, though I'm just worried he's going to be lonely. Although of course I'll call and skype and visit as much as possible. And I *know* my sister will pick up everything. She'll always be there for him, to visit and whatever else he needs. So it's not that he'll be alone. He just won't have me. And maybe I'm being narcissistic, but I think I'm pretty important to his life.

I also dread telling him because I know what I'm going to hear. That I'm crazy, that it won't work, etc... He said all this about my best friend when she moved across the world for love. But my dad has had a craaaaazy past. He's done whatever he wants his whole life, without giving two thoughts to how they impact other people. This is my sore spot about the girlfriend. But I feel like he of all people should understand my need to do things my way and to make my own way in life.

I have to tell him this week or next. Thanksgiving is coming up and I know my other family will ask and I can't lie. But I'm finding myself in full on freak out mode and when I pick up the phone to call and ask him to come over so we can talk, I chicken out. I don't really know what I'm looking for here. To vent, words of encouragement, who knows? But thanks for reading.

Met online: 1/30/11
    Met in person: 5/30/12
    Second visit: 9/12/12
    Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

All I really have to say is that you can do it. You seem to be a very strong and independent woman, you can do this as well. Good luck with whatever outcome it brings. <3
    "Babe, I'm totally murdering everyone in this building right now! ... You would be so proud of me."
    This. This is only one of the reasons that I love this man. XD

"I'll surrender up my heart and swap it for yours."
    Por siempre, mi amor. ♥

Comment

It seems like it will be tough on your dad, because you mean a lot to him. I'm feeling that he doesn't want you to go as much as you are a key figure in his life and you are his little girl.

Comment

I know what you mean, which is why im stuck here for a really long time. though my dad and i do Not get along with each other he still overreacts when i make a big decision. Im saving money to go see my boyfriend soon enough, all im worried about is how to tell my parents that im leaving even for a couple of weeks, it's quite terrifying =/

Comment

That sounds tough. My dad is 68 and I had worries how it was going to be if I moved to the US. Now my SO is coming over here but when the US was still an option, this was on my mind. It's not like he'd be on his own. He has my mum, my brother, sister and a lot of friends but I know it would be hard on him.
          At the same time, you need to live your life and I'm sure your dad wouldn't want you to sacrifice your happiness and love with your SO for him. There is always Skype and the odd visit. But still... I can really relate with your feelings. It sucks to leave your family. *hugs*

Comment

Thanks guys for listening I'll let you all know how it goes when I do tell him....hoping it's not too awful!

Comment

I did it! I told him today and it went better than expected. He, of course, is sad to see me go but even acknowledged that now is the time in my life to do something like this. He did express fears that I'd be abused and held against my will though... But that's my dad. Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out and feel like now I can really start preparing to leave!!

Comment

Working...
              X