Opinions on my situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Softy View Post
    Indeed, I come to ask for opinions and/or help because I'm feeling down and what i get is 'Educate yourself!'.
    Sure, it's a matter of also myself getting more information but it's more my concern about the lies than the visa itself.
    And also, choice of wording matters and yah, seemed harsh to me.
    But it's ok : )
    You thought those responses were harsh? Sheesh...and I thought I was too sensitive! The thing is, if you had looked into this yourself, you'd know if he lied to you or not. How can we respond, or give you an opinion, if we don't know either? Unless we've done the process ourselves, we don't know enough to make an informed opinion on if he lied. I think your response was quite unfair to those who bothered trying to help you.
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
      Because you should educate yourself. I'm not going to waste my time looking up the visa process from the USA to Canada. That's something you two should do together. So do it.
      I didn't ask ' Please look at the information for me'.

I posted thinking MAYBE some knew because they ALREADY went to this process.
      Hence why these forum exist, to share experiences and that ppl who have more knowledge can HELP others.

Instead of saying 'educate yourself'.
      You could have said: 'I suggest you look into more information because not all visas for all countries are the same'.

'educate yourself' is an order.
      'So do it' is also an order.

To me, it's rude.

Maybe you don't mean it to be, but i read it that way.
      ♡ ~~~~ 'When you find something worth fighting for, you never give up' ~~~~ ♡

Comment

Originally posted by Verojoon View Post
        I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt (Keep your eyes open too, though!!) but I think he probably lied to you. It doesn't mean he's a liar or a douchebag or anything...

Like I told you in chat, the only time my SO has ever lied to me was about his passport renewal process. It was while we were broken up (one of my major reason I gave him for the break-up was that he kept on dragging on getting his green card, he finally got it and now I would have to wait months and months for him to get his passport renewed...) He told me it was already renewed (when in fact he had sent the renewal applications but there had been some problems and he was told it could take up to 6 months...) He admitted it to me before we got back together... so it's not like he used it as a way to get me back...

I think it may be a similar problem for your SO. Or like I mentioned, he may be completely overwhelmed with the process. Whenever I looked into it, I felt like crying...

Now going by memory: There isn't a work visa as of such... He could get a work holiday visa but I think that may cost about $1,000!?? The only other work visa he could obtain would be a skilled worker visa (Looong process) if he has a career that is one we need here in Canada. Otherwise he could get a work visa through an employer if he managed to secure a job in Canada, but that is difficult since the employer has to prove that they were not able to find anyone in Canada to fill that position... There is also a temporary visa for unskilled labour, but like the normal work VISA, a company has prove no one in Canada is available to fill that position...

After looking into it ourselves, we think we will do 1 of 2 things... We will probably go with a marriage visa... in 3 years... In the meantime, we are hoping we can find him a telecommuting job or a sort of business idea that he could work from home in my house some months of the year (since Americans can stay in Canada for 6 months out of the year) Another option is he has a cousin that works for an airline and gets flight privileges, he flies for nearly free and works long hours but has 3 day weekends... We will work together at trying to get him an airline job... Probably won't get one, but might as well try. If he gets it, he would fly home to me almost every weekend... Then, once we were looking at closing the distance, there would be chances he might be able to transfer to Ottawa...

Look over your options together. It's not only about being informed or whatnot, but about facing your obstacles together. You guys are looking at living together... so, this is a skill you will need! Cooperation and partnership... Try to look at things from his side. He told you not to worry about it, he's got it covered... then he starts looking into all of it and it just becomes overwhelming.. He gets the feeling that no matter what he applies for, he'll be refused... so why apply?? It's easier to just say he was refused...

You two need to communicate, sort it out... You need to tell him it's not okay to lie to you, but at the same time reassure him that you can work through it. That you are partners. He does not need to take the stress on all to himself...

That being said, there is also the other option, that he is, in fact, a douchebag, and had no intention of going there to see you... It's good to be aware that this could happen, so you can keep your wits about you and your eyes open, but don't jump to conclusions. Work on the issue at hand, work together with him... and if his intentions aren't there, it would become apparent... In the meantime, do what you can not to let the worries eat away at you! No good can come from it!

Good luck with everything!! <3
        Thanks Vero.

yes I've started to look it up, I went to Japan before on a 'working-holiday visa'.
        I thought it was the same options for all the countries, but now i know it's so not.
        I will read more on US --> Canada ones during the weekend as for now i'm so busy with work T_T

Cheers
        ♡ ~~~~ 'When you find something worth fighting for, you never give up' ~~~~ ♡

Comment

From a Google search, I read that anyone can apply for a work permit in Canada but it doesn't seem to be a working-holiday program? From what I looked up, and I by no means did thorough research, it's more similar to the U.S., where anyone can apply for a work permit but the company who's hiring has to prove that no Canadian is up to the task; work also has to be available if you're not applying from countries where there's an agreement (like between the U.S. and Ireland, I could go and work and travel for a year without having work lined up for me first).

My concern with this, however, would remain mainly with "I think..." When you submit for visa's, you live and breathe them. I only did research on a working holiday visa and new it by name, number, etc. and all the details that came with applying. They run you through so many hoops and documents that are specific to that visa so that you know 100% what you're applying for. They don't want to have to process your application only to say "oops! You submitted the wrong visa forms!" either. He would know what visa he applied for. Also, I'm finding a lot of mixed answers on the "can you move country while still having debts" question. Some people say no, because you've got obligations, others say that yes, you can, but your credit score will be significantly effected and that follows you to wherever you move. However, I am reading a lot more from immigration forums that immigration and debt/credit are separate entities. The fact that it's a work visa might alter that, but the general consensus I'm seeing is that no, your personal debt is of no interest to immigration (that said, you also have to prove that you can financially support yourself, so maybe his debts are so substantial that he was unable to convince immigration that he could? Even on a work visa?).

Comment

Working...
          X