No announcement yet.

"girlfriend" - *grumble*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm like the rest, I hate the gf/bf title. Sounds so young. I'm 37 & he's 40 and have yet to find something better. I don't like using the word partner when referring to him either. SO isn't bad, but I don't want to use that all the time. I don't guess there is anything better really (for us at least). Even though I hate the gf/bf thing, I do like it when he says I'm his gf. Confusing I know!

Comment

Originally posted by garnet View Post
      I don't know, I'm 32 years old, SO is 35, we both have children, we are both divorced, I loathe the term girlfriend! I feel like it should be left at the prom or something. To him, I ever so maturely call myself his "disposable" hehe. He knows I hate bf/gf. Away from him I never know what to say, that I like. The man I'm involved with? The man I'm seeing? I really only like SO in written form. (Yes, I'm super picky about this, and it's worse since we're l.d. - we all have our "thing.")

We need some new phrase for us older folks who aren't yet engaged. Of course that would be far preferable to any sort of new term. :P

He's still absolutely everything I could hope for, and really, I grasping at straws to even have a complaint.

I guess I'll make the point of this post, how do you feel about the bf/gf title as you step away from 30, hit 40, 50, 60? Does it bother you any more if you're already divorced or have kids?
      I'm 32... I have no problem with being his girlfriend...

Originally posted by Black_Halloween View Post
      Maybe you can use the term "Partner" instead?
      I was thinking that...

How about my lover?
      You could say my guy or my man... or the guy I'm dating/seeing/with ??
      First met online: June, 2010
      First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
      Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
      Third visit together: August, 2012
      Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
      Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
      Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
      Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

We have a good word for this in Norwegian.. it's the same word for boy/girlfriend: Kjæreste. It just means the one you hold dearest, closest to your heart i guess..

What about just calling him your love..?

Comment

Originally posted by Reglisse View Post
          We have a good word for this in Norwegian.. it's the same word for boy/girlfriend: Kjæreste. It just means the one you hold dearest, closest to your heart i guess..

What about just calling him your love..?
          I love that!! Wish I could pronounce it! I like "My Love"

Comment

I don't mind boyfriend/ girlfriend... to most people we know I'm his girl and he's my boy toy due to the age difference hehe
            Three words. Fill my racing mind. Leave me breathless. Lost in time.
            Three words. Fill my endless dreams. Repair my heart. Mend the seams.
            Three words. Fill your heart too. Three words pronounced. I love you.

~~~~~~

You look in the mirror, you don't like what you see, don't believe it.
            Look in my eyes, I am the only mirror you're ever gonna need.

Met online: 12/24/10 Met In Person: 2/24/11 Distance Closed: 4/24/11
            Not one regret, not one backwards look, only towards the future and beyond!

Comment

I tend to use "partner" "other half" "better half" mostly, with the odd "future husband" thrown in at random.
              As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

I use the term boyfriend a lot, but it has bothered me since my SO and I started dating. It has always seemed like such a young term to me! He's not a boy, haha. In any official terms I use 'partner' since I've had the impression that it sounds more official than boyfriend. In fact when I put my SO as my emergency contact when I started my job, I had put 'Boyfriend' in the relationship field, and when they sent it back to verify it had been changed to 'Partner'. Weird!

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
                Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

I call him my boyfriend but as I'm approaching 30 it's starting to bother me, as you guys said, it just sounds too young for me.
                  I don't like the word "partner" either, it sounds so final to me, makes me automatically think of a couple who live in a civil partnership and never plan to get married. I feel like this doesn't describe us.
                  Terms like "significant other", "other half" etc just sound too extravagant for me.

He has no problem with calling me his girlfriend, occasionally "missus" for the laugh, although I'm not too crazy about it. I noticed he uses "partners" for his friends who live and have kids together, which just reinforces how I feel about that word.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

Did anyone else think of Sex in the City when Carrie called Big her "man friend"? I always thought it was cute for mature
                    Couples!

Comment

I like lady friend. It also does not imply any commitment between the couple.

Comment

Oh yeah, I kinda forgot, as much as I'm not a fan of "partner", I do occasionally refer to him as my partner in crime I like that one.
                        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I keep thinking of things like beau and sweetheart. xD

Notes:
                          Met: 8.17.09
                          Started Dating: 8.20.09
                          First Met: 10.2.10
                          Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

We were friends for a long time before we dated. We decided to date and it was only about a month later that he called me his girlfriend. I don't mind it at all. I am proud to be his girlfriend. I was married before and I love that he is my boyfriend. The only thing that will make me happier is finacee someday and then wife.

Every once and a while he calls me his "woman". LOL. I don't mind that either.
                            "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

My significant other is 31 and he absolutely loves to be my "boyfriend". The first time I ever referred to myself as "his girlfriend" he was totally excited and told me how happy he is to be my boyfriend (that was the day we started dating!).

I usually refrain from using "SO" because it feels odd to me to shorten something so meaningful - then again I can understand why typing SO instead of significant other in this forum makes sense - it's just not my thing.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                              First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                              Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                              Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                              Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                              Married: 1/24/2015
                              Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Working...
                              X