New to distance dating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30+ New to distance dating

We met a month ago now by chance and had no intentions of it turning into a relationship knowing he was going to be gone a lot for work. Yes he is really working. After 5 days and a lot of talking and how we got along we decided to give the relationship a chance beyond being a fun time while he was around. He has left for 5 days for training in Indiana and then this week he is in Illinois for 6 days and may be sent to a job site after the training. And I already know about a month that is planned and 4 more months that may be combined out to Wyoming in the near future. We already have talked about be spending some time with him while gone but how does one go the distance and time apart. We have skype and have used it those 5 days he was gone and plan to again. I don't have kids so this makes it easier for me to go as I choose to. He does have two kids locally he does still take care of and they are with their mother. I have met the older daughter just before he left on this training. I hope he can come home before he is sent to his next job. He works on the pipeline in the states. Long term goal is to be with a more local company that he would be within 4-6 hours drive to jobs and closer to home.

Hi I am pretty new to this myself. This is my first serious LDR. We don't live that far apart but due to excessive amounts of responsibilities we don't have the luxury of seeing each other as much as we want to. I know this is hard. Believe me, not only am I but all of us are going through the same thing and feelings. Communication is the key. Me and my SO have great communication except for those times where my emotions get the best of me and I am up all night crying and wondering and thinking. Yeah you will have those nights too. But talk to him about it, talk to him about everything and anything especially about how you are feeling and remember he is going through it too and with you. I am in the same situation as you...it is easier for me to go see him then it is for him to come and see me. Things will work out great as long as you talk things out, use all the resources you have to see each other such as Skype, text, facetime, tango, etc. And most important when you two are together make every second count.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum, I'm new to the forum itself, but not new to LDR.

Start a LDR is always hard, but you seem to be on the right track. Talking with him on Skype and text message is a good thing, communication is key. The other good thing is that you seem to have regularly planned times that you can be together. You mention that since you don't have children that you're free to go with him, should you want it. I don't know what kind of job her does so it could be that he's only going to be going away for a short amount of time before he gets to settle in one place. If that's not the case, then my advice is to use things like Skype to talk while he's away from you, and get a free text message service like Viber - it's similar to Skype, but doesn't involve creating an account. It just uses your phone number as your id, and it's free. I use it to text with Scott, who's in the US and I'm in the UK. It's a great app where you can send photos for free and make calls for free. It does involve using 3G or wi-fi, and it's similar to Skype but you can't video message, or at least you can't just yet!

Anyway, hope that's of some help to you and good luck!
      Joey & Scott
      Met: April 2002
      Lost Contact: August 2002
      Reconnected: April 2010
      Together: May 20th 2010

[COLOR="#800080"]"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Hi I am new to this site and LDR.
        My SO and I met up again a month ago after 17 years of no contact..we are both 56 and first met in 1972 and our lives have been entwined ever since.
        Over the years there was an attraction, now we are both free to explore those feelings. He is divorced and I am widowed.
        Neither of us were not looking for a relationship, it just happened. Our communication is great, we always have had that in the past.
        We don't want to marry or live with each other full-time so we are on the same page with that.
        He also works odd shifts. He will be 6 days on and only one off for the next 4 months so I will be doing the travelling...6 hours drive...then hopefully he will be 8 days on and 6 off.
        It is early days and sometimes I felt uneasy, however he told me I have no reason too.

Comment

Hie,

I am new to long distance dating too. My SO does not work odd shifts, but he is working all the time (seasonal work) plus studying which means that I will have to do most of the travel. Skype along with phone, text messages and Facebook is vital to keep in touch. Also I like to know when the next visit will be (he will come here- yey! - 20th of January).
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Working...
          X