First time meeting ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30+ First time meeting ...

I am meeting my SO for over 3 months in less than 30 days. He will be coming home (as we have the same hometown) in mid September and I am starting to freak out. There are so many thoughts racing in my mind that just can*t stop. It*s been a while since I was in a relationship and the thought of it just increases my agitation. I can*t even concentrate to work ... And my thoughts go like this:
    what if he*s shorter than me? then I will feel awkward/ embarrased (from the pictures I have seen he looks shorter ...)
    what if I will get so nervous about the meeting that I will start to tremble and act clumpsy and make a fool of myself?
    what if, due to the emotional pressure, I will say stupid things or make mistakes?
    what if, because I wasn*t in a relationship for a long time I won*t be able to open up to him and get shy (because I am a rather cold person at first, but I have to get used to a person to start showing my affection)
    what if he won*t give me the attention that I need? ... and I could go on and on .... How can I make my mind stop and calm itself????

Do you have any suggestions for the first time meeting???? I know many of you went through that and I would really appreciate your advice!

Everyone says stupid things and makes mistakes. Honesty, communication, and shared values make up for that in most relationships.

Meet in a public place for a meal or activity so that you have something else to talk about in case the conversation gets awkward. You will be fine!

Comment

I think this is the second time you mention worrying about his height. I originally worried my SO was shorter than me, so I just straight out asked him his height. The way I look it, if it is something that makes you awkward (as it does to me too!), it give you time to adjust to the idea... (Another good way is to look at celebrity couples, it is not unusual for those hollywood leading ladie to be taller than their men!) As for all the rest, try not to worry so much... (easier said than done, right?)

Edited to Add:

In my signature there is a link about my first meeting, many other people have their first meeting stories in the thread. Read them, maybe it will make you feel better!
      First met online: June, 2010
      First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
      Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
      Third visit together: August, 2012
      Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
      Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
      Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
      Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

Just relax and be yourself it will all work out.

Comment

Hi there!

It's normal to have some degree of worry, but if you can find some way to relax. BTW: My boyfriend and I ( I love how that sounds lol) are just about the exact same height, I actually may be an inch if not two taller ;-). At the end of the day, I can care less about his height. It's more about how he treats me and how he makes me feel. Best of luck and please update us about how your meeting/ time together goes

Comment

Originally posted by MZVIRGO82 View Post
            Hi there!

It's normal to have some degree of worry, but if you can find some way to relax. BTW: My boyfriend and I ( I love how that sounds lol) are just about the exact same height, I actually may be an inch if not two taller ;-). At the end of the day, I can care less about his height. It's more about how he treats me and how he makes me feel. Best of luck and please update us about how your meeting/ time together goes
            Thank you all for your good advice!
            I don*t mind if he*s an inch or maybe two shorter than me. I mean, I don*t want the height difference between us to be that obvious. Normally, I don*t care for the external things, because if I like a person (the way he is, thinks, acts) I really think looks are not that important, but I just don*t want us to feel awkward in social situations, if there*s a difference between us. But I am 5”8 and I am thinking he must be at least 5”7, so the difference would not be noticeable.
            Of course, I will keep you all updated with how things will be, because I really need your help and suggestions and this forum has helped me a lot in my LDR.

Comment

Working...
            X