Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We're just two hours apart, but there's never enough time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30+ We're just two hours apart, but there's never enough time...

My boyfriend and I have been together one year and five months. I am 32, and he is 29. We are just two hours apart. (I wonder how many people on this forum have an "LDR" that's only two hours apart, because it seems the majority are states or countries away from each other??) Even though he & I see each other regularly, it is frustrating for both of us that we cannot see each other more often. We are very much in love, I am grateful for what time we do have together.

Basically, we see each other on the weekends. We try our best to swap places every other weekend. That doesn't always happen, depending on events but I think we do a pretty good job. We try to text each other during the week, and sometimes skype. However, as our relationship has progressed it seems as though that talking during the week has diminished some. We had some issues around our one year anniversary, and almost broke up. Yet we have since both started working on resolving our issues and things have gotten better than ever.

However, this weekend I felt as though some frustrations with the distance and time came to a head, and we got into an argument last night. This past weekend, I was sick with a cold, and really didn't have the energy to drive two hours to see him after work on Friday evening. He understood and I made plans to go up there on Saturday afternoon because we had his work Christmas party that evening. Well, everything was going very well, even though I was still feeling a little run down from the cold. On Sunday nights, I usually stay there and wake up super early (between 4:30 & 5) to make it to work for 7:30. However, I knew I needed more rest than usual so I mentioned that I would probably just head home Sunday evening instead to get the rest I needed. After seeing a movie Sunday afternoon, neither of us really wanted to part from each other. I decided to sacrifice a little, and stay that night just hoping I would get enough rest. Once we got home, I knew I needed to shower and get my things together so I wouldn't have to rush the next morning. This took me about 45 minutes - an hour. I'm not going to lie, I am a bit slow when it comes to getting ready for events or even just showering and primping. I know this bothers him a little, but I didn't really know how much. I figured he had just gotten used to it by now. When I got out, he started complaining that it was almost time to go to bed (8:00) and now so much time was wasted that could have been spent with me. I asked him what exactly he expected of me, and he said he just felt like he was always waiting on me. I told him I was sorry and that he knew it took me a long time to do things, and I felt like we do spend enough time together. He kept reiterating that every time he is with me, I always have something else I am needing to take care of before we can sit down and enjoy each other's company.

I got pretty upset because I feel like almost every weekend, I am spending every waking (and sleeping) moment I can with him. Not only that, the 3-4 hours I have free during the week after work, I am just barely getting in my gym time, house cleaning, and time with the friends I don't always see when I am with him. I absolutely love him and want to spend this time with him, but if I can't take a couple of hours to myself to get ready for the day or do what personal chores I need to do for myself, when is it going to get done? I also already have my own issues with time management that I feel I am trying my hardest to the best I can, but I still feel like it's never enough for anyone. And now he is telling me it is aggravating him, and it feels kind of suffocating and demanding. I guess because all I want to do is make him happy and I feel like if I can't meet this expectation, I am not making him happy enough. I cried about it, and he told me to stop dwelling on it, but he's the one who brought it up.

I feel to genuinely get more time together than we do now, there would need to be a higher commitment. Like one of us moving... And if we move in together I would like to be engaged. And yet, when I bring up moving or marriage he gets a little freaked out. He tells me he wants to marry me, but not yet. And then when I start backing off on marriage talk, he thinks there isn't enough time between us. And I personally do not want to move until I have a certainty that this is going to last a lifetime. I want this to work out, so I am committed to it, but why do I feel like two hours is this huge thing in our lives? Am I being too selfish with time management? Does anyone know how I feel or can give any advice to this?

Wow...

Why is he giving you a hard time for having a shower? Women take longer, that's just the way it is!!!
    You went to see him when you weren't feeling well, he could have perhaps helped you a little? Maybe offered to help pack your bags for you instead of complaining that he doesn't see you enough. I find his behaviour a little immature. If he wants time with you he could have had a shower with you, helped you pack, stuff like that. He should be grateful you travelled to see him when you were sick and take care of you properly when you're there with him.

When I'm sick I'm needy and need a lot of extra communication. When my SO is sick he just shuts himself away, we both understand this, he gives me more attention and I give him space.

As for the marriage and moving in together thing, nothing in life is certain. When I got married I meant every vow. 14 years down the line it was over. That was not my plan and believe me I worked my arse off to save my marriage but it wasn't to be.

If you want to be with him you need to realise that nothing is certain, you can both only do your best and try and work through your differences. You're not being selfish with your time management at all. You have a job, friends and hobbies. Your world does not and should not revolve around him. Does he have other interests outside the relationship? If not perhaps he ought to get some hobbies so he's not so focused on you.

And you guys are very lucky to see each other every weekend! Make the most of your time together xxx

Comment

SO used to complain that I took so long with showers... So I invited him in. No complaints since!

I have been sick while visiting SO. He has learnt to deal with it, making me tea, comforting me, hold me, get me meds. It is not anybody's fault I got sick, we make it into our project to get me well.

About hobbies, people can be different over this. Can you perhaps get common friends and hobbies? And find a way to talk about your needs for social life and variety.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I live about 2 hours from my SO and I see him almost every weekend too. I'm like you, I take forever with everything. My SO knows this and we always plan accordingly. If we need to be somewhere by 8, he'll usually start telling me I should take a shower and get ready around 6, or I bring it on myself to do it. I don't know why your SO gives you such a hard time about it. It's really not a big deal. Can you not cuddle while you're laying in bed, watching tv, before you go to sleep? That's what me and my SO do. Plus, it's not like you guys will have to wait long before you have another visit. Is it annoying you have to wait a-whole-nother week? Sure, but it's better than most of the couples on here. He should be thankful that you guys even get to see each other as often. The only thing my SO ever says to me about it is, "Gawsh, you take forever. " But, he's just joking. Plus, when I'm getting ready, he just sits back and relaxes and watches TV or plays video games.

As for the moving in and marriage thing, there's no need to rush it. He might not be ready for it yet. How long have you guys been together for? I know it's over a year. My SO and I have been together for 2 years now and we're just now seriously talking about moving in together when we get the money and I'm done with school (BTW, I won't be done for another 4 years). We haven't even really touched on getting engaged or getting married yet. But, I'm pretty sure that's the direction we're heading in. You never know what's going to happen in the future. For all you know, you guys could live together and it might not work. So, I really wouldn't try to plan an engagement or marriage so soon after you guys move in together (if it happens).
        Last edited by whatruckus; December 15, 2014, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X