Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you personally deal with the distance and missing your SO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30+ How do you personally deal with the distance and missing your SO?

I've been in a LDR for 6yrs now (We have known each other for 8 or 9 yrs) and most likely will be for the foreseeable future as we both have kids and my job isn't helping us close the gap.

She deals with the distance and missing each other way better then I can and unfortunately that puts stress on our relationship which I don't want, so how does everyone make the distance easier?

I was in the same boat as you are. My husband handled it way better than I did. Fortunately, he understood and weade sure to Skype every night, all night. We watched mvovies together, or sometimes just stayed on Skype as we each did our own thing. It felt similar to being in the same room, even though we were 900 miles apart. I sometimes thought we would never close the distance, even after we got married. But we did, for good, three months ago, and now I almost forget what the long distance was like. Good luck to you.
    sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

Hi!

Distance can be really hard, but if you find ways to co-exist in small ways, it can be a little easier. Just as TaraMarie mentioned above, we've Skyped and watched movies together. We've found TV shows to watch on Hulu or Netflix or wherever. We also try to plan 'sleepover' nights where we fall asleep together and we try to wake up together. We've even eaten breakfast together and watched a movie in the morning before going about our usual days. Sometimes, we're in the singing mood and find lyric videos on YouTube! I think if you can find some similar things to do with your SO, then it'll make you feel closer, even if you're not actually close, you know? I hope some of this helped!

Comment

We both do things we really love doing. For instance she loves hiking and backpacking, and has a few girlfriends she goes with. Last Christmas I even got her a satellite communicator so she can text me on big back country treks. I love mountain biking, skiing and MX, so when I'm missing her I throw myself into those hobbies. Either way we both deal pretty good with separation.

Comment

It was hard to settle into and gets a little harder for us every time we have to part ways again(5 so far ...) and yeah, my GF handles the distance better than I do.
          But at the end of the day we still chat all day on whatsapp, skype a couple of times a week, watch movies together. It's important to keep those things going.
          So far its been relatively easy cause our time offset was only 3h but now she moved back to NY and were at 6h which is very weird for me at the moment as im still used to
          chatting to her in the morning over coffee. But it all just takes time.

And when something bothers me I just say so, took some time to get that into my head but if you cant be physically close communication is where the moneys at so to speak

Comment

I just cry tbh. Actually tho. He deals with it way better than me, honestly sometimes I wonder if he's even sad or misses me. Our time zones are really different so we can usually only call (voice or video) for any length of time on the weekends, usually just one weekend day too. During the week if we get a chance it's like 10 minutes once a week. That's partly because I'm lazy though, I could talk to him if I woke up at like 7 but I don't like to if I don't have school or work that morning, haha. It looks like you guys are at least in a similar time zone so if you can I would recommend what other people say above, spending as much time on skype as you can, even if you are just doing your own thing.
            Chifuyu

Comment

I find distractions and keeping busy helps to take my mind off the feelings and constant yearn to be with my partner. I do things that I think will make me a better or more well-rounded person for myself and also for my partner and our future. Like going to networking events for an interest and to find like-minded people, reading books to develop myself in whatever I think I could improve on, learn a language, finding things to entertain myself, going to the gym. You've gotta find what works for you but don't dwell in the feelings for too long because you've got only got one life to live so live out your best.

Comment

My S/O and I chat online all day, we call as often as we can, we do daily devotions and watch church together. We have date night on Saturday nights where we watch movies together. It's hard at times, the yearning to be together.
                -Xtina

Comment

Me and my SO find the distance hard too although she is more positive than me. At the moment we are fortunate to be able to talk almost wheneber when we want, time distance permitting (she's 8 hours behind me). We often fall asleep in each other's company, have dinner together, play games, have drinks, watch series. It is really really hard but I think communication is key.

Comment

This is so sweet. And I agree, communication IS key! My SO and I do a lot of the same things as you guys, and I love every minute of it. At the moment, we are working together. On the phone. So, there is not a lot of talking, but we are still spending time together.
                    -Xtina

Comment

We both keep busy. We both have jobs and daily life to take care of, along with interests and hobbies. And we keep track of our relationship by saying good night and good morning daily and have short chats whenever possible. Weekly rabbit dates, too! We use those dates to chat or just watch a movie together. Not to mention trying to regularly meet up and keep the times between visits as short as possible. I think we handle the distance as well as we could.

Comment

We do that too and luckily we get to talk quite frequently. How often do you guys get to see each other?

Comment

I feel like my SO and I handle the distance fairly well, we are fortunate that we speak twice daily basically every day. We have never watched a movie together. . . Such a good idea. . maybe using Netflix? Good luck to everyone I know it isn't easy.

Comment

Working...
                          X