Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30+ BF pursuing career & dream house without me

Hi there!

Would really appreciate any help you can offer- thanks!!
    I've been with my BF for 4 years. It pains me to say this but looking back I can't remember much. I was a vegan for 8 years and my health rapidly declined during this time and it wasn't until recently two months into a carnivore diet that my memory is coming back, my hormones are rebalancing and my mood is stabilizing. I developed really bad depression from the diet and wasn't able to be fully present for my BF during this time. I had even asked him for space as I was feeling suicidal and literally felt like dying bc candida was coming on strong. I had lost my job bc of pain I developed in my forearms, my dog died, lost all my friends, my health and then my purpose: veganism. Everything was taken away from me in a short period of time. I made everything so centered around myself that I couldn't be there for him emotionally. I asked him why he stayed recently and he mentioned bc I was his best friend...even though I really couldn't offer him much bc I was so focused on getting my health back. Things changed drastically after changing my diet. I had previously had bad brain fog, no sexual appetite, and depression, and no energy...but it all flipped a switch and I feel like a brand new person. During this time I was healing, my bf was looking for work and couldn't find any local jobs so he decided to move out of state. I guess I assumed we would still be together, as we never officially had a talk and he assumed I knew we would no longer be together after he moved away. I recently visited him and this is where we had "the talk." I feel horrible bc I was so busy with myself, we resorted to doing our own "thing." When I was vegan I was really bitchy, moody and said things to him I really regret...like..."it's ok to be selfish." He took my advice..he moved to another state, got a house and is working 12 hour shifts...6 days a week to pay it off...stating he followed my advice and he actually realized he enjoyed being alone. Now...this really hurt me, as I came over to visit and to my surprise found out his position after we were really intimate the whole time. I felt deceived as he led me on. Come to find out he does still have feelings for me but he said with his schedule and obligations he can't really commit to a relationship. Even after this news, I was still intimate, hoping I could change his mind. As stern as he had been, it felt like we were still really together. I advised to move in with him but he assumed my parents will be angry for stealing me away and also, he has no time bc he's working all the time to pay attention to me. I am really independent so I can keep myself busy. I am looking for a job right now but a part of me wants to find one where he lives...and I even mentioned I may save up to put a downpayment on a house in a city he wants to live in...that way he can have his own place still or live in it and he said he could help me and maybe watch over it for me. This would be for residual income. He mentioned I will always be his best friend and he does still love me. We are still intimate but I'm really left hanging with uncertainty. I am hurt because I told him I fucked things up badly bc I was not there mentally or emotionally for him during my illness. It feels like a slap in the face bc towards the end of my veganism, I did treat him more as a friend esp with little to no sex. I regret a lot of things esp my diet. I've never cried so hard in my life and that's how much I love him. The thing is..I have enough to help him w/ house payments but he doesn't want my money. He always wanted a home..this is his dream so I am really happy for him but I guess selfishly I wish I could take my words back and wish we thought things out as a couple. He wants to be self-sufficient but this comes with his giving up his identity, free time and social life. He wants that. The reason I thought he would be open to long distance is bc we were planning to move together to another city but the plans fell through when I got really sick and wanted space for myself. He says he will always visit me when he can but he doesn't want to hold me back from meeting someone else. He nonchalantly says if he meet someone he may want kids..but in actually when would he have time to commit to someone else?..I don't get if in the future if he can put aside time for a relationship, why can't he do it now? He does say he wants to work as much as he can to retire early and his schedule could change in a few years. He says a lot of girls hit on him at work and he lets them ask their questions and doesn't tell them he is "taken" upfront but finds enjoyment in them pursuing him...until they find out his age, they don't get to the question if he has a gf. He introduced his roommate to me as his gf. I do trust him enough and he says he doesn't want to date anyone from work bc he takes his job seriously. It doesn't make me feel any better knowing this ...but I am glad he is honest and open with me. Someone hit on him right front of me and that was a huge eye-opener. It hurt..and he mentioned this happens all the time. This stings badly hearing him say this. I'm trying to be mindful of what I say in hopes that he will miss me and we can rebuild a connection...but I asked him if we could still be intimate when he comes to visit and he said "yes." He also wants to travel with me when he has enough money saved up bc I deprived him from doing a lot of things when we were together bc of my selfishness and lack of motivation bc of depression. I apologized to him for this and want to make it up to him. He still calls me "baby" but I hate how he says you'll be fine (alone). Should I even fathom about us potentially being together in the future? Will giving him enough space make him miss me and be enough to change his mind? We text almost every day but I don't want to make it sound like I can't live without him and an dependent on him. I know if I'm too clingy, it will be repulsive. I try to tell him positive things going on with me in hopes he can live vicariously through me and feel a sense of belonging & familiarity about doing things with me. It's such a tease that he would want to remain friends in the future bc I'm really connected on a physical and emotional level to him...like never before. He loves my family as well and he is a friend of my cousin. He sees the change in me as well but I'm hoping it is enough to make him budge. I would really wait on him if it took him time to pay off his mortgage. That is how much I am committed. Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by vansaddict00; October 6, 2018, 04:21 AM.

Originally posted by vansaddict00 View Post
    Hi there!

Would really appreciate any help you can offer- thanks!!
    I've been with my BF for 4 years. It pains me to say this but looking back I can't remember much. I was a vegan for 8 years and my health rapidly declined during this time and it wasn't until recently two months into a carnivore diet that my memory is coming back, my hormones are rebalancing and my mood is stabilizing. I developed really bad depression from the diet and wasn't able to be fully present for my BF during this time. I had even asked him for space as I was feeling suicidal and literally felt like dying bc candida was coming on strong. I had lost my job bc of pain I developed in my forearms, my dog died, lost all my friends, my health and then my purpose: veganism. Everything was taken away from me in a short period of time. I made everything so centered around myself that I couldn't be there for him emotionally. I asked him why he stayed recently and he mentioned bc I was his best friend...even though I really couldn't offer him much bc I was so focused on getting my health back. Things changed drastically after changing my diet. I had previously had bad brain fog, no sexual appetite, and depression, and no energy...but it all flipped a switch and I feel like a brand new person. During this time I was healing, my bf was looking for work and couldn't find any local jobs so he decided to move out of state. I guess I assumed we would still be together, as we never officially had a talk and he assumed I knew we would no longer be together after he moved away. I recently visited him and this is where we had "the talk." I feel horrible bc I was so busy with myself, we resorted to doing our own "thing." When I was vegan I was really bitchy, moody and said things to him I really regret...like..."it's ok to be selfish." He took my advice..he moved to another state, got a house and is working 12 hour shifts...6 days a week to pay it off...stating he followed my advice and he actually realized he enjoyed being alone. Now...this really hurt me, as I came over to visit and to my surprise found out his position after we were really intimate the whole time. I felt deceived as he led me on. Come to find out he does still have feelings for me but he said with his schedule and obligations he can't really commit to a relationship. Even after this news, I was still intimate, hoping I could change his mind. As stern as he had been, it felt like we were still really together. I advised to move in with him but he assumed my parents will be angry for stealing me away and also, he has no time bc he's working all the time to pay attention to me. I am really independent so I can keep myself busy. I am looking for a job right now but a part of me wants to find one where he lives...and I even mentioned I may save up to put a downpayment on a house in a city he wants to live in...that way he can have his own place still or live in it and he said he could help me and maybe watch over it for me. This would be for residual income. He mentioned I will always be his best friend and he does still love me. We are still intimate but I'm really left hanging with uncertainty. I am hurt because I told him I fucked things up badly bc I was not there mentally or emotionally for him during my illness. It feels like a slap in the face bc towards the end of my veganism, I did treat him more as a friend esp with little to no sex. I regret a lot of things esp my diet. I've never cried so hard in my life and that's how much I love him. The thing is..I have enough to help him w/ house payments but he doesn't want my money. He always wanted a home..this is his dream so I am really happy for him but I guess selfishly I wish I could take my words back and wish we thought things out as a couple. He wants to be self-sufficient but this comes with his giving up his identity, free time and social life. He wants that. The reason I thought he would be open to long distance is bc we were planning to move together to another city but the plans fell through when I got really sick and wanted space for myself. He says he will always visit me when he can but he doesn't want to hold me back from meeting someone else. He nonchalantly says if he meet someone he may want kids..but in actually when would he have time to commit to someone else?..I don't get if in the future if he can put aside time for a relationship, why can't he do it now? He does say he wants to work as much as he can to retire early and his schedule could change in a few years. He says a lot of girls hit on him at work and he lets them ask their questions and doesn't tell them he is "taken" upfront but finds enjoyment in them pursuing him...until they find out his age, they don't get to the question if he has a gf. He introduced his roommate to me as his gf. I do trust him enough and he says he doesn't want to date anyone from work bc he takes his job seriously. It doesn't make me feel any better knowing this ...but I am glad he is honest and open with me. Someone hit on him right front of me and that was a huge eye-opener. It hurt..and he mentioned this happens all the time. This stings badly hearing him say this. I'm trying to be mindful of what I say in hopes that he will miss me and we can rebuild a connection...but I asked him if we could still be intimate when he comes to visit and he said "yes." He also wants to travel with me when he has enough money saved up bc I deprived him from doing a lot of things when we were together bc of my selfishness and lack of motivation bc of depression. I apologized to him for this and want to make it up to him. He still calls me "baby" but I hate how he says you'll be fine (alone). Should I even fathom about us potentially being together in the future? Will giving him enough space make him miss me and be enough to change his mind? We text almost every day but I don't want to make it sound like I can't live without him and an dependent on him. I know if I'm too clingy, it will be repulsive. I try to tell him positive things going on with me in hopes he can live vicariously through me and feel a sense of belonging & familiarity about doing things with me. It's such a tease that he would want to remain friends in the future bc I'm really connected on a physical and emotional level to him...like never before. He loves my family as well and he is a friend of my cousin. He sees the change in me as well but I'm hoping it is enough to make him budge. I would really wait on him if it took him time to pay off his mortgage. That is how much I am committed. Thanks for your help!

It sounds like you should move on. I do not want to sound harsh, but I don't think he is interested in having a relationship with you anymore. He might love you as a best friend, but he does not sound in love anymore. When you question why he would want kids when he does not even have time for your relationship, it is because he does not make time for you and your relationship. He would make and find time if he really wanted to. He likes the attention from other women, does not really want to commit to you anymore but still has you whenever you want sex. I think what I highlighted in your thread answer your own questions.
    I might be wrong too, but the way you phrased it all sound rather negative to me.
    I wish you all the best.
    - I'll be waiting for you -

Started talking: December 2015
    First meeting: December 2016
    Second meeting: May 2017 - August 2017
    Third meeting: Septembre 2017 - January 2018
    Engaged: December 2017
    Fourth meeting: May 2018 - August 2018
    Fifth visit: December 2019
    Wedding: September 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Littlewhiteflower View Post
      It sounds like you should move on. I do not want to sound harsh, but I don't think he is interested in having a relationship with you anymore. He might love you as a best friend, but he does not sound in love anymore. When you question why he would want kids when he does not even have time for your relationship, it is because he does not make time for you and your relationship. He would make and find time if he really wanted to. He likes the attention from other women, does not really want to commit to you anymore but still has you whenever you want sex. I think what I highlighted in your thread answer your own questions.
      I might be wrong too, but the way you phrased it all sound rather negative to me.
      I wish you all the best.
      Thank you for pointing this out. I guess I'm in denial and am hurt about everything that is happening. AS much as I want to be friends with him I don't know if it's feasible if my feelings are still so strong. It's like being dumped but then the other person is totally fine with it but the other person suffers. He's not looking at it the way I see it. He's very detached from everything and I guess it's my turn to be selfish as well. Hoping no-contact will help a bit- that is the last straw. Thank you for your time and input. I really appreciate it

Comment

It sounds to me that he wants to be friends with benefits. But he is also very confused on what he wants. Do you have a possibility to have a full in honest talk. What your relationship is now, what you find unacceptable and what are your expectations. Everything on the table.

Comment

Originally posted by Rezie View Post
          It sounds to me that he wants to be friends with benefits. But he is also very confused on what he wants. Do you have a possibility to have a full in honest talk. What your relationship is now, what you find unacceptable and what are your expectations. Everything on the table.
          Thanks so much for your advice! I will incorporate these questions and notions in our convo.

I feel that as uncertain as I am about things, he is as well. Everything is constantly shiftings so what he tells me today may not be what he thinks in the future.

I do want to talk to him face to face about if me visiting him recently sparked any reconsiderations. Indeed, his actions are contradictory to his words. A part of me knows I am being led on but another part wants to believe in his facade. He tells me he still loves me and is attracted to me...but I know he doesn't want the obligation to look after me consistently. We always lived an hour apart close-by and wouldn't see each other as often, so I guess it trained him to be OK without me. I kind of think since I'm not working and he is working his ass off, he is putting me on a low pedestal...as if I am a liability. I have savings to stay afloat right now. He has always brought up economic differences which only further alienates us. He would say things like I don't want your money....as if he has always wanted to be a provider but hadn't established himself properly do so. I always contribute- I don't think it's a one way stream in any relationship. It's pretty harsh but I think he has always been jealous about my family owning 2 properties while he never had any assets. Now that he has something he is being greedy and driven by this notion to possess what I always had. Our relationship was never about money but he always belittled himself...his insecurities have got to him. His ego is huge right now and he doesn't even know it. I do think the money issue..he has always used it as a divide between us.

I just know that in order to be friends I am hearing you both have to be indifferent, which I am not. Anyone with any desire to be with me would not build a separate, independent life and make no attempt to integrate me into it. This is what hurts the most. It's like he's pushing me away intentionally to get what he always wanted which was financial stability...only thinking for himself. There really was no empathy when he mentioned he wanted to remain friends. It kind of feels like, he got his dream which was the house and is trying to prove to me and your family he can sustain himself. He has always used my family as a model of achievement. It feels as if he has always felt unworthy of being with me. It's really shameful that this is the direction he is heading into. At this moment in time I really want to ask him what my purpose is now...but know it could backfire on me. Maybe he may realize he doesn't need me at all, which I don't want to instill upon him. He could make time for me if he wanted to and he knows I would wait for him and can do LDR. He never had a childhood bc his mom was a single parent and he had to work hard to help sustain his family. Now that he has a taste of freedom he's going knee-high into it and likes the idea he isn't obligated to help anyone and he can do whatever he wants. All this power is feeding his ego and pride. At the end of the day there is so much uncertainty and I need to ask him what's in it for me to stay? He's reaping all the benefits, while it seems like there is none for me. I guess I'm answering my own questions again...but am still in denial bc this may be a temporary mindset for him. Maybe in six months or so he may change. He always changes his mind about things. This is one thing that is certain.
          Last edited by vansaddict00; October 8, 2018, 05:41 PM.

Comment

I can understand you're hurt and suffering right now, but try not to try to ease the situation by blaming his ego and pride. It could easily be entirely something else. You lived apart, your depression and health pushed him away and taught him it's easier to live on his own because he can get attention anywhere. It's normal to take the path of least resistance, which it seems like he's doing right now. It seems like, frankly, he has all the aces, so challenging what's in it for you might just get the response of Don't like it, leave. No one can know if your relationship is too far gone to save, but I would advise you to tread lightly and not make cutting contact for him the easiest, less stressful way out.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by autumn1790 View Post
              I can understand you're hurt and suffering right now, but try not to try to ease the situation by blaming his ego and pride. It could easily be entirely something else. You lived apart, your depression and health pushed him away and taught him it's easier to live on his own because he can get attention anywhere. It's normal to take the path of least resistance, which it seems like he's doing right now. It seems like, frankly, he has all the aces, so challenging what's in it for you might just get the response of Don't like it, leave. No one can know if your relationship is too far gone to save, but I would advise you to tread lightly and not make cutting contact for him the easiest, less stressful way out.
              Thank you for your time and input! I really like your take on this

Yeah I guess I'm thinking this way as a defense mechanism. The reality is, he always wanted to be financially stable and own a home, and I knew he would do it with or without me...so I am happy for him and he has chosen his path. I really do feel sorry for him bc he wants to carry his own weight but I know the route he's taking from working so much, he will eventually hate it. I've worked over 12 hour shifts as well when we were together, yet we made time for each other...and my life really crumbled as my job consumed me. He doesn't know what's coming for him but he has to do it since he's committed to it.

I guess apart of me is jealous he is getting attention and he's asked me, and I've responded no. I could if I wanted to, but there's no point and it won't make me feel better as a person. He actually tells me it feels like harassment...but it's not like he does anything to stop it bc it's at work and he feels more inclined to maintain peace. Come to think about it, the ppl who hit on him are either too young or too old. He's pretty level-headed and he isn't swayed easily. Since he is in a huge financial hole as well, he can't afford to be with anyone and doesn't have the time...until he can alleviate his schedule.

I am getting over the notion of being together with him by focusing on our incapability and making a list of things I don't like about him.
              Just because I'm in pain now, I realize, doesn't mean he was the right person for me, as he always insinuated I could do better. Frankly, I think he is right.

I will still be in contact bc I have his stuff which he can't come back for right now, but I am focusing on myself now.

He is a good person, but after much clarity, I think I was more infatuated with him then in love with him. I did get together with him right after a split with my other bf, so I think from the beginning he was always treading lightly. I was insecure and I guess to some point I still am, but can now focus fully on myself. For now, I don't mind staying in contact with him, but he's not my priority anymore. I was comfortable with him, but maybe not as happy as I thought I was or could be.

Definitely waking up Thank you!!

Comment

I think that it would probably be best taking some time out for you and learning to love yourself again before trying to persue any relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by xxcazaxx View Post
                  I think that it would probably be best taking some time out for you and learning to love yourself again before trying to persue any relationship.
                  Thank you so much for your advice! I definitely agree. I'm so emotionally exhausted right now. I am breaking up with him for good so I can heal.

Comment

Working...
                  X