Facebook Official!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facebook Official!

Just wondering what everyone's take is on making a relationship "facebook official". My SO and I aren't just because we don't see the need to. But I do see where it can make up for some insecurities when one partner is slightly worried that you come off as available. I know that my SO has some issues with being a little over protective of me and times and he worries that men will hit on me because they think I am single. So I was wondering if it could possibly be worth it in some cases to actually make it publicly official on facebook...

Well if you both don't care about it I don't see the problem with not making it "Facebook official". But if one of you thinks its a big deal and the other just doesn't care then I'd just make it "FB official".

In my relationship personally it would make us both insecure having us listed as single.

Another suggestion is to not list a relationship status at all.

Comment

Neither of us have relationship statuses and it doesn't bother me one bit, and he hasn't mentioned it at all. I have no problem leaving things the way that they are because I am very secure in this relationship..I am just a little worried about him. But how do you even bring something up like that?

Comment

I don't think Facebook is a big deal. I do list myself as in a relationship, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't. Now I could see someone making sure to change their relationship status if they kept getting hit on.

Comment

I can't be sure how comfortable you are in your relationship but if it was me and my SO the conversation would go something like this, haha:

"Hey, so I was wondering if it bothers you that we don't state we're in a relationship on Facebook?"

I would probably be able to tell by his reaction about how he felt about it... then go from there.

Comment

I think that if you're not ashamed of your partner and or your relationship that it is natural to link facebook accounts if you both have them. I think it'd be a little weird if my SO was opposed to the idea.

There's not a need to do it, or anything... but for me it's more like.. "Why not?"
            Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
              I think that if you're not ashamed of your partner and or your relationship that it is natural to link facebook accounts if you both have them. I think it'd be a little weird if my SO was opposed to the idea.

There's not a need to do it, or anything... but for me it's more like.. "Why not?"
              Hee hee, how about because you're co-workers and don't want the office gossip Me and my guy are in that situation, and there is a particular person who's on our team that has friended us both. This guy is the definition of ass-kissing jerk-off, and we don't want him to know. We get to stick up for each other this way too, without anyone doubting us because of our relationship. It's important for us to keep our professional and personal relationships separate, so we keep it out of Facebook, besides he barely uses the thing so that makes it even easier!
              Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Now that's gotta be the best reason I've seen
                Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

OH man! My bf doesn't have a facebook..and I am trying to get him to join so i can link mine with his. LOL I just want to so that I can show the world he is mine!!

I would be weirded out if he had one, and wouldn't link his with mine.

Comment

Facebook isn't that important but I do think sometimes linking a relationship status is a good thing, then everyone knows you're taken and people just leave you alone but if you are fine without being that way I don't see a problem with it!

Madly in love with Michael

Comment

We were together a few months before I put in a relationship. But we decided not to have it say who we are in a relationship with. We have a wedding date set, but I don't wear an engagment ring, so I don't have "engaged" on my profile.

Comment

I guess it all depends on the people and the situation. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit excited when HE linked us together in a relationship on facebook as soon as I returned home after our visit in September. Still before that we were merely listed as In a Relationship.

Comment

We were exclusive a long time before I changed my relationship status to "In a relationship" I changed it because I was going through my whole information page- I hadn't updated it/set the right privacy settings on it since I was still in college- a good 2-3 years? lol Then he saw and link his to mine. It's silly, it shouldn't really matter, but it did feel good to finally change it.

Plus, doing that FINALLY stopped his ex-girlfriend harassing us both (on facebook and RL) and de-friend him. I should feel bad, but I really don't lol. aaah that is the power of facebook, if I'd known that would happen I would have done it waaaaay before

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                          <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                          The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                          <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                          <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                          Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                          Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

We never did it until about 4 or 5 girls threw a tizz when they found out he wasn't single because he hadn't mentioned me (some of my newish friends don't know I had a BF just because I don't talk about him 24/7) and they'd grown crushes on him. It just frustrated me so much I told him to do it. Basically just to get these girls to back off!!

Comment

I don't think it is a big deal, but on the other hand I don't think I would like if my SO was completely against becoming FB official, unless there was a valid reason.
                              It took some time for us to finally get around to do it and first we didn't link to each other, because we both have his sister as a friend and our relationship was a secret at that time. I think it actually did mean something for me, but mostly because before that we weren't sure about where we were standing, because we weren't sure if we wanted to be in a LDR, the whole FB kinda sealed it for me that we wanted to try to make it work.

Comment

Working...
                              X