LDR Communication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LDR Communication

So, I know that many of us here on LFAD use some sort of instant messaging/video calling device and I'm curious as to what service you use (Skpe, YIM, etc.)? Also, what kind of webcams do you use? Do you talk with mics, or just watch eachother and type? And one more... Do you know of any video calling software that you can record video calls with?

I mainly use YIM (kinda laggy with videos, or is it just me?) with Kris and now that we both have webcams (Logitech C310h, AMAZING cam for the price, it was only $40 with a built in cam and wonderful picture) we'll probably be talking a lot more that way.

Me and my boyfriend text throughout the day and make phone calls. But if we ever talk online it's usually msn

Comment

We use Skype. It has the best quality. MSN never really worked for us. We also use webcam AND headset. It's lovely just seeing her, but I prefer to hear her voice at the same time.

Comment

For instant messaging we go back and forth between AIM and MSN. Me, I prefer AIM because the archive system is better and doesn't erase itself, making me copy/paste all our convos into wordpad like MSN. He likes MSN because of the name display feature since he tends to change usernames a ton. For webcam we use Skype. I bought him a new camera in July, I forgot the brand, and just recently got myself a Logitech camera. We haven't been able to use them yet, our last 'tea party' was before I bought him the new camera. I use a headphone/mic combo and he uses the camera's mic and his laptop's speakers. Always nice to hear my echo. The only time we did the watch/type thing was our first tea party where his mic didn't work so we talked on our phones until his died after 5 hours and then we used AIM for two more hours before he went to bed. I'm not sure of software, but I think if you use skype you can google programs that let you record from it.

Comment

Throughout the day we tend to message each other via Facebook - that way, because we can both access it from our phones if we need to - we don't rack up insane phone bills through cross-continental texting. Also, if we're both on a computer at the same time, we will talk on Facebook chat (or Skype chat, if the connection is too dodgy for a video call).

So, yeah, when we make video calls, we use Skype. My laptop has a built-in camera/mic so I'm not sure of the specs, but my microphone isn't the best, so when it gets later in the evening I put on a headset so that I can talk a bit quieter and not disturb my housemates.

Comment

We text during the day, though I try to not bother him at work too much. He needs to be more productive, and part of that would include not checking constantly for messages from his girlfriend. I also get/give the occasional phone call.

We use Skype as our primary form of communication outside of that. We will IM mostly (since Skype has an IM function), because the built-in microphone on my computer is crap. The built in camera's okay...the one on his computer freezes a lot.

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

My boy and I text, normally at night, sometimes talk on AIM if we happen to be on at the same time, and use Skype for video calls. His laptop already had a built in web cam, but mine didn't, so I had to go buy a new one. I got a Microsoft laptop web cam for 20 dollars! It was so great, and the picture quality is pretty good as well.
              "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love " ~ Theodore Seuss Geisel.

Comment

We use MSN more than anything. We use Skype too, but rarely. I get free calls from home to Finnish landlines so I call her at work once she finishes sometimes, plus we text each other every day.

Check out Vopium for cheap international calls and texts by the way, I use that a lot too
                In a relationship with

Read mine & Tanja's story here!

My Albums:
                Summer 2009 / Xmas 2009
                Summer 2010: Part 1 & Part 2
                My dog Sam ♥

Comment

We use msn mostly too, and skype a lot! every now and then we put skype on and watch a movie together, with a good headset we havent had any problems, and its fun! we try to make it for every sunday afternoon, its like our weekly movie date

Comment

We used msn (including video calling, or just regular calling) and skype. Skype was a godsend!
                    We rarely used webcams though, we usually just used skype/msn to have normal phone calls, as actually phoning wasn't an option.
                    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Reese and I mostly talk through Skype. Sometimes we go on cam or mic, but usually we just talk through text. I did get to get on cam with him the other night and he was laughing at me because apparently I got this huge grin over our plan of basically torturing one of my roleplaying characters.

Comment

We talk on msn regularly, sometimes we'll turn the cams on while he's in his dorm studying, so we're kind of interacting but he won't feel guilty if he's not 100% focused on me like he would have to be with voice. Haha. We also plan skype dates (mic and cam) on the weekends sometimes.

Comment

we use skype! it's a greattt program
                          and we always talk outloud to eachother

anndd i have a mac so my camera is built into my computer
                          and he has an hp pro webcam

i'm really not sure of any services that allow you to record the call..thats an interesting thought though
                          <3
                          sigpic

Comment

I love hearing the different responses. I was thinking about switching IM's and wanted to hear from the people that used them the most!

We've started using Skype and I must say that it's absolutely AMAZING! We were actually able to have a group chat with my best friend and her bf, while also having video chat with eachother, I love the fact that he actually gets to talk to some of my friends that way. We both like it a lot, haha.

Comment

We use MSN the most, easily.. then emails and then texts

We dont use Skype.. we tried once and it's just easier to use MSN with webcam *shrug*

Comment

Working...
                              X