Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just found out it could be almost 6 months....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just found out it could be almost 6 months....

I moved to DC from Maine this summer, leaving behind my fiance for a year. So far, we've been able to see each other every two months or so.

But I got a new part time job, and I found out they black out holidays- meaning I won't see him for winter break. Now I think I won't be able to see him til March. I really feel awful.... I don't even know how to tell him.
    Met: August 2006
    Starting Dating: 12/1/2009 or 12/18/2009 (Still under debate)
    Been an LDR since: 6/23/2010 (750 Miles)
    Last Time I saw my SO: 10.12.10
    Next time I will see my SO: God only knows.

I know it feels awful right now but you guys can do it! I am also engaged and had to leave for 9 months for work and we are only going to get to see each other once, about halfway through. Whenever I think it seems like forever, I imagine those people who have loved ones deployed in the military who rarely get to talk to their SO, see them maybe once a year, and have to worry because their SO's in imminent danger.
    Your SO will understand, you probably need this job and you guys will have to make this small sacrifice.

Plus, I always say that 9 months is a small price to pay if I get to spend the rest of my life with him!

Comment

I really do appreciate what you said, and I do know that it could be so much worse- but it honestly doesn't make it hurt any less. I didn't have to come here- I did it as a favor for my dad and brother, to help them get settled. Now I'm regretting ever making the decision to leave Maine.
      Met: August 2006
      Starting Dating: 12/1/2009 or 12/18/2009 (Still under debate)
      Been an LDR since: 6/23/2010 (750 Miles)
      Last Time I saw my SO: 10.12.10
      Next time I will see my SO: God only knows.

Comment

It's very hard going x amount of months/weeks not seeing them when you're used to almost every day or very close together visits. However, it's not impossible. It tests our will to be with them, our strength as a person, and ultimately our patience. That's pretty horrid they black out holidays, but some jobs are like that. Gotta love the workforce.

This may not help, but maybe you can be thankful you guys can communicate and 'see' each other in other ways than in person instead of the horror of no contact at all? Sometimes we kinda have to take what we can get just to get by while we wait for what we truly want.

Comment

Originally posted by AbbyNormal View Post
          I really do appreciate what you said, and I do know that it could be so much worse- but it honestly doesn't make it hurt any less. I didn't have to come here- I did it as a favor for my dad and brother, to help them get settled. Now I'm regretting ever making the decision to leave Maine.
          Sorry what I said wasn't helpful. It's not like I was forced to leave my fiance either...I chose to do it for the job experience.
          I guess I'm just trying to encourage you to stay positive...in the grand scheme of things, a couple of months more isn't the end of the world. You'll get to spend the rest of your life with him so you should be proud of yourself for doing the selfless thing and taking some time to help your family.

Comment

Working...
          X