Freaking out!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freaking out!!!!!

apparently i have to get a marriage visa before i come see her because in order for the registration office to give us approval i have to have that!!!! on top of all that we may not get approved for 6 months which is how long i can stay without a visa if i dont get marriage visa thing!!!! and im freaking out!!!! this was supposed to be easy!!!!! for a regular person im sure this is easy as pie, but i have ADD so im scared and freaking out!!!!!!!!!*breaths really heavy*

Have you seen a lawyer who can explain everything to you exactly in terms you understand?

Comment

no. i cant afford that

Comment

First of all, breathe. You may be misunderstanding the information or getting conflicting information. Try to do some research and make phone calls to understand the information better. Ask Denise for her help in figuring this out, maybe she can go to her local office and they can explain things better in person.
        I was going to recommend ways to find a free/cheap lawyer but a lawyer in the US probably won't do you any good for UK immigration law.
        Nothing with immigration is ever easy and you are not alone in stressing out about this.

Comment

1) Breathe, Caitlin. In. Out. OK. Moving on.
          2) I'm sure Denise will be able to meet with someone on her side, though you should also do some internet searching, see if there's an immigration lawyer within a reasonable distance who you would at least be able to *meet* with.
          3) Visit the British Consulate in New York. Make an appointment, someone there should hopefully be able to go over the stipulations of the Visa requirements with you. You're going to have to go there to apply for the visa anyway, may as well familiarize yourself.

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

well i talked it over with her, and we sadly may have to wait until we get married i didnt wanna wait i wanted to get married to her ASAP and then move to the UK, but it doesnt look like that will happen anytime soon :'( because i have to get the marriage visa i dunno how long that takes to obtain i'll have to email/call the british consulate to ask how long it takes because when i fly out there and i do the visa i dont wanna get rejected because they know im awaiting a visa. Then we gotta tell the registration office that were gonna do it and we may not get an answer to get married for maybe 6 months which is how long i can stay in the country without a visa, and then when she gets an answer i gotta go back over there and get married to her, then go back to the US and fill out the settlement visa once that is hopefully approved then i gotta move to the UK! *falls over*

Comment

Caitlin- I am just getting ready to do the same thing as you! I need to get through the end-of-the-month work craziness, but starting next week I'm finally getting the process in motion for my UK marriage "visitor" visa for our wedding in Scotland in February. I've done some research and seem to recall the processing times for the visitor visa were only a couple of weeks when last I checked... and I also seem to recall that for US citizens, much of it can be done online?? My notes are from a few months ago now, and will likely need updating, but anyway you & I should compare notes and we can maybe try and tackle this thing together
              We collided and fell out of nothingness... scattering stars like dust

Comment

Originally posted by michy View Post
                Caitlin- I am just getting ready to do the same thing as you! I need to get through the end-of-the-month work craziness, but starting next week I'm finally getting the process in motion for my UK marriage "visitor" visa for our wedding in Scotland in February. I've done some research and seem to recall the processing times for the visitor visa were only a couple of weeks when last I checked... and I also seem to recall that for US citizens, much of it can be done online?? My notes are from a few months ago now, and will likely need updating, but anyway you & I should compare notes and we can maybe try and tackle this thing together
                imma send you a pm

Comment

Caitlin, first, I want you to calm down. Reading visa stuff is really intimidating and scary, especially when we're looking with our hearts. You have to turn off your heart for a bit and go into your head for research mode.

Now, before you freak out too much about the marriage visa, why don't you instead take a look and see if you can get married and then just apply for a spouse visa? You don't always have to have a marriage visa just to get married internationally; you do often need to make sure you have the proper paperwork they're going to request in order to get a marriage license.

Have you had a chance to go through the UK's varying visas and see what your options are? Often there are options, although we may not realize it and may need to jump some hoops. I also would recommend finding an expat/migration forum for other people trying to move to Scotland/the UK, they're going to be able to give you lots of helpful information.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

I pm'd you Caitlin, also thought I'd copy the main bits here in case it helps to point anyone else in the right direction! Michy's legal disclaimer: This is just my own web-based research... so don't take it as 100% set in stone

What route you need to take depends on whether you plan to stay for more than 6 months or less than 6 months.

> 6 months: you need a marriage/proposed civil partner visa
                    < 6 months: you need a marriage/civil partnership VISIT visa... valid for 6 months, have to travel to the UK, be married, and return to the US before that time is up.

The visit visa application is WAY less expensive (like 67 GBP instead of 585 GBP!). I'm just getting married there and then returning to the US after a couple weeks, so that's my visa route.

Take a look at this website:
                    https://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoa...rocessingtimes

This is a UK gov't visa info site that gives the most recent available data on processing different visa types. Put in your state under "location", and a table will show the times... for example, for the marriage/civil partership VISIT visa (the one I know I need, because I'm coming home after) right now they're processing 94% of all requests within 10 days, and 100% within 30 days.
                    These are given in business days... and are estimates only

Also at the left side of that page there are links, including one where there are some questions to see if you can apply online, and also where/how to send applicatons etc, lots of good info.

This is another website/document that gives the official guidance specific to the marriage/proposed civil partner entry visa and also the marriage/civil partnership visit visa and what is needed:
                    https://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/s...oaguidance.pdf

Once we have the visa clearance, then notice can be given to the Registrar... that's usually given about 4 weeks before the wedding date.

Hope this helps!
                    We collided and fell out of nothingness... scattering stars like dust

Comment

Originally posted by Silviar View Post
                      Caitlin, first, I want you to calm down. Reading visa stuff is really intimidating and scary, especially when we're looking with our hearts. You have to turn off your heart for a bit and go into your head for research mode.

Now, before you freak out too much about the marriage visa, why don't you instead take a look and see if you can get married and then just apply for a spouse visa? You don't always have to have a marriage visa just to get married internationally; you do often need to make sure you have the proper paperwork they're going to request in order to get a marriage license.

Have you had a chance to go through the UK's varying visas and see what your options are? Often there are options, although we may not realize it and may need to jump some hoops. I also would recommend finding an expat/migration forum for other people trying to move to Scotland/the UK, they're going to be able to give you lots of helpful information.
                      i have looked and the more i look and ask questions the more confused i get

Comment

Working...
                      X