She might have Proteinuria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She might have Proteinuria

Jesus christ if i dont have enough to worry about, I already worry about her as it is and now im worried about this. I told Denise to go to the doctor because the last few weeks she has been constantly having to go to the bathroom without drinking alot, she went today and they told her she had a really bad bladder infection with alot of unusual protiens and stuff down there, and they told her they would have to test for Proteinuria and other things, so she decided to look it up and maybe she shouldnt have but she found out what it is, the information about it is this:

Proteinuria describes a condition in which urine contains an abnormal amount of protein. Proteins are the building blocks for all body parts, including muscles, bones, hair, and nails. Proteins in your blood also perform a number of important functions. They protect you from infection, help your blood clot, and keep the right amount of fluid circulating throughout your body. As blood passes through healthy kidneys, they filter the waste products out and leave in the things the body needs, like proteins. Most proteins are too big to pass through the kidneys' filters into the urine unless the kidneys are damaged. The main protein that is most likely to appear in urine is albumin. Proteins from the blood can escape into the urine when the filters of the kidney, called glomeruli, are damaged. Sometimes the term albuminuria is used when a urine test detects albumin specifically. Albumin's function in the body includes retention of fluid in the blood. It acts like a sponge, soaking up fluid from body tissues. It acts like a sponge, soaking up fluid from body tissues. Inflammation in the glomeruli is called glomerulonephritis, or simply nephritis. Many diseases can cause this inflammation, which leads to proteinuria. Additional processes that can damage the glomeruli and cause proteinuria include diabetes, hypertension, and other forms of kidney diseases, Research shows that the level and type of proteinuria (whether the urinary proteins are albumin only or include other proteins) strongly determine the extent of damage and whether you are at risk for developing progressive kidney failure. Proteinuria is also associated with cardiovascular disease. Damaged blood vessels may lead to heart failure or stroke as well as kidney failure. If your doctor finds that you have proteinuria, do what you can to protect your health and prevent any of these diseases from developing.

She might not have it but just reading that scares the shit out of me and her!!! I'm fucking terrified and i wish i was over there now to hold her! we have to wait a friggen week in order to know what the results are

ETA: she got the results back yesturday and it was only a really bad infection in her bladder, nothing more so were both happy with that

I'm so sorry to hear this Caitlin. The best thing you can do right now is be strong for her. I know you wish you could be there to told her but do what you can over the phone/internet.

And I know it's hard but try not googling Proteinuria constantly. It'll probably just freak you out and there is no point in that. You will just scare yourself and her before the test results even come back.

*huge hug*

Comment

Breathe. Take one day at a time and remember it isn't diagnosed as that yet...just a maybe. Focus on other things....googling stuff like that always sends me in a frenzy.
      NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

lol sadly i already googled the symptoms which as far as i know she doesnt have any of those, but this is gonna be a long week. im hoping(well not hoping but you know what i mean) that its only a UTI and nothing else

Comment

Karringtyn's right. You guys don't know for sure and there's no use in panicking about a 'maybe'. She may have it, she may have something else, she may just need to eat less protein, I'm not a doctor I don't know. But getting a bladder infection isn't the end of the world. Any sickness isn't the end of the world no matter how hard it is.

Comment

Caitlin, take it from me: a lot of times, proteinuria means nothing. I'm learning this stuff now, as I'm training to run these medical tests, and it's often just a transient condition. People can get transient proteinuria from starting a new exercise routine, an increase of protein in their diet, or from stress. And seeing as you two have been working so hard on trying to work out the visa issues, I'm sure stress is definitely part of the problem for her.

She is otherwise a very healthy young woman. The other disorders proteinuria can hallmark are often found in people who haven't been healthy for quite a while.

Don't google it--the internet is probably the worst place to learn about medical issues. It freaks everyone out.

Calm down. Let Denise go to the doctor and have the doctor determine the source. But most of the time, it really is nothing, and will likely pass in short order.

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

Originally posted by squiddie View Post
              Caitlin, take it from me: a lot of times, proteinuria means nothing. I'm learning this stuff now, as I'm training to run these medical tests, and it's often just a transient condition. People can get transient proteinuria from starting a new exercise routine, an increase of protein in their diet, or from stress. And seeing as you two have been working so hard on trying to work out the visa issues, I'm sure stress is definitely part of the problem for her.

She is otherwise a very healthy young woman. The other disorders proteinuria can hallmark are often found in people who haven't been healthy for quite a while.

Don't google it--the internet is probably the worst place to learn about medical issues. It freaks everyone out.

Calm down. Let Denise go to the doctor and have the doctor determine the source. But most of the time, it really is nothing, and will likely pass in short order.
              well yeah she is rather stressed around this time every year and has been missing me and stuff. trying not to worry so much but its not easy, they currently have her taking some hefty antibiotics which dont make her feel so good she has to take those for 3 days

Comment

Well, fortunately, even though they're making her feel rotten, the antibiotics will clear up the infection in a few days. If the proteinuria subsides along with the infection, then it likely was just a manifestation of the infection (which is very likely).

Comment

alrighty, i'll let her know that. thanks

Comment

she got the results back yesturday and it was only a really bad infection in her bladder, nothing more so were both happy with that

Comment

That's good news!

Comment

I glad everythin is alright!

Comment

Originally posted by Caitlin2009 View Post
                          she got the results back yesturday and it was only a really bad infection in her bladder, nothing more so were both happy with that
                          Woo! See? Nothing to worry about. It's probably already clearing up, and the levels will be normal again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by squiddie View Post
                            Woo! See? Nothing to worry about. It's probably already clearing up, and the levels will be normal again soon.
                            yeaaaah i know lol but why did they tell she might have that? :/ not cool on the doctors part, thats what she said they told her and thats why we looked it up

Comment

Glad she's ok =) That's one less thing for you to be worrying about now

Comment

Working...
                              X