Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First trip to see SO - warning, a VERY long post ahead!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First trip to see SO - warning, a VERY long post ahead!

First of all, I can not believe how fast that week went by! It almost feels like a dream now... But the pictures prove that I really was there (btw it's up to Andy to sort out the pictures since I emptied my memory card on his PC and didn't have time to put the pictures back ).

Day 1

I'm leaving my house.... Well nervous. My mum and sister drops me off at the bus station where I hop in and face a 4 hour journey to Helsinki-Vantaa airport. Lots of time to think and panic but somehow I manage to stay ok. That is until we arrive at the airport and I can see the planes. I feel like I can't breathe or move and seriously think about getting onto the next bus home. But I've come this far and we've waited 2 years for this trip - not the place or the time to be a wimp.

Andy's recorded me a voice clip which goes through everything I have to do step-by-step so I feel quite confident when I walk to security, take my coat off, liquids are in a plastic bag on the tray and I walk through the metal detector. And that's it, takes 10 seconds and it's done. Where are the security people who wanna check me, go through my case and mess everything up or even worse, take me aside and put on a glove for some deeper inspection.... Guess being nervous and sweating like a pig doesn't look suspicious to them!

I keep on walking and look at the screens to find my gate. 36. Pretty much as far away from me as possible so I start walking and about after 10-15 minutes I'm there. With about 200 Indian people going to Delhi at the very same gate. I sit down, have a little drink and start to read a newspaper when I hear an announcement... Something about a flight to Manchester but those 200 Indian people make a lot of noise! So I get up and find a screen just in case. And what do 'ya know, my gate's changed. It's now aaaaaall the way back where I just came from. So I grab my case and start walking. At least I've something to do to keep me occupied.

Gate 35 this time (you'd think that gate 35 would be a bit closer to 36 but no, whoever designed the airport decided it's more fun to mix them up a little and confuse people) and lots of free seats. Across me sits an English man reading a book, looking very annoyed and ready to knock you down if you dare to interfere with his reading... So I keep my distance and don't know yet that he will be the guy I'll sit next to on the way.

Oh my god, someone is opening the gate. This is it, time to board. I grab my stuff and start to walk towards the till, still thinking about running away and going home.
    "Come on Tanja, man up!" a voice inside my head says. Doesn't really work but at least I keep walking along with everyone else thinking how ridiculous it would look if I turned around and started running. And besides, I'm sure that at THAT point at the latest they'd give me the glove treatment.

Get in the plane - man it's crowded. Apparently everyone else wants to fly to Manchester on this particular day, typical

Andy told me there's less turbulence at the front so I squeeze myself into a seat and hello! There's the angry English man (I'll refer to him as the AE man from now on) reading and trying to ignore everyone.. yet I can tell that the mere existent of other homo sapiens is getting on his nerves. I tell him I'll try not to interfere (please don't kill me) and he says "allright" and gets back to it.

Bla bla blaa the captain says something, stewardess says something, there's the safety demonstration, someone says something again and then we start to take off. I squeeze my arm rest and try to relax but the AE man puffing next to me AND the 6 (SIX!) screaming babies in the plane make it impossible. Engines roaring, babies shouting, stewardess saying something again and we're off... I feel like my stomach is in my throat and the plane turning from side to side doesn't make it easier. Could be worse though, someone in front of me is getting sick and holding his ears.. poor fella.

I can honestly say it was the worst 3 hours of my life. Turbulence almost all the way, the seats were too small and extremely painful to sit in with my bad back plus I was scared to death. I hate the landing but I can't tell you how relieved I was when we touched down. Even the AE man smiled and said "we made it", guess he was a bit nervous too then.

Can't wait to get out the plane, only 1 tiny problem. The ground crew has disappeared. After some 20 minutes or so someone shows up to hook the plane up and we can walk out - solid land beneath my feet. I kneel down and kiss the ground. But only in my head. I'm in Manchester and going to see my sweetheart and his parents in a few minutes. Nerves kicking in, last glimpse in the mirror - hair's ok, make-up ok, deep breath and I'm good to go.

To be continued....

Up the ramp, to the right into a corridor, down the hall into a passport check, final glass doors opening and I can see him. He doesn't recognize me right away because apparently I look like a lady... And I've had a hair do before my trip. I'm very relieved to find out he's come alone to pick me up! It is nearly midnight and I look like a mess but at least his parents won't be seeing it. Not until after an hour when we get home.

His dad has stayed up even though he's up at 6am and it's nearly 1am when we get there... Right away they welcome me, we have a long hug and it just feels normal and comfortable. Like I've known them for years and years. That's what his dad keeps saying too

We only talk for about 10-15 minutes and then we're off to bed. I can't believe I'm actually there and neither can Andy, it feels so unreal. We cuddle up next to each other and he looks me in the eyes saying how much he loves me and how incredibly happy he is to have me there next to him. I've never felt so loved in my life and as I fall asleep I'm consumed with perfect happiness ♥

Comment

Yay I can't wait to read the rest of the story and see pictures!!

Comment

I got tears in my eyes readin the last few sentences lol
        Im glad you made it safe!
        Enjoy your time with Andy and his family and make sure to provide us with pictuuuuuureeezzzz

Comment

Ah! Such an adorable story! I can't wait to hear more about your trip! I'm flying to Texas for the first time in January probably and I'm going to be sooo nervous at the airport!!! I can't wait to see picturess!

Comment

Can't wait to hear more Tanja, and to see pictures! Sounds absolutely wonderful so far!

Comment

I'll post more tomorrow and the pictures are in process

Comment

awww! I can't wait to sit down and read this and see the photos! I'm so jealous of Andy right now. I can't wait for Ryan to come here!

Comment

Aw thank you for sharing! im looking forward to reading the rest! Reading that really made my day after a 16 hour shift at work, made me smile

I had similar probs with my first flying experience never been on a plane since lol!

Comment

Yay! So glad to finally hear about your adventures ^^; You write them in such a funny way too.
                    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I know this might bore you to death but I don't really care

Day 2

Not quite as exciting (nor long) as Day 1 but still very lovle! Andy's brother and his girlfriend came over and we played some Cranium - amazing game btw and so funny! I found it a bit hard every here and there cause some of the questions had words in them I'd never ever heard of... But I did quite alright anyway. I really enjoyed myself, my family hardly ever got together like that to just play a board game and have a laugh, I loved spending time with Andy's family, they're all so great

Earlier in the day we went shopping in Flint (I can say that in Welsh too:
                      Flint, pronounced as Flint, ha ) and I found some ridiculously cheap hairspray. Seriously, after seeing the prices in there I'm so tempted to just grab my stuff and move there. Although I know my daughter would say no but I could bribe her with saying how much toys I could afford to buy her over there....

Anyway!

We made a lickle mini-Tanja on their Wii and played golf, tennis and bowling... Needless to say I kicked Andy's arse in every game, haha! His dad was cheering for me too

After Wii, dinner and a brief talk with mum and dad we went upstairs and into Andy's bed.. don't worry, nothing happens here (yet), we just cuddled, had chocolate and watched a marathon of Two and Half Men - I love that show.

Btw there's chocolates called Minstrels... pure heaven if you ask me ♥

As short and boring as this might sound, that's pretty much it for Tuesday
                      We pretty much just rested and enjoyed each other's company and felt ridiculously happy - seriously, do you guys ever feel so happy you think it's not normal? So happy that you think your heart is going to explode and you're screaming inside? So happy that it can make you cry?

I felt like that every single day, I'm more certain than ever that this is the man I want to be with for the rest of my life.

Stay tuned, Day 3 is coming up...
                      Come and hear about Andy & Tanja's exciting trip to Chester Zoo!

ps I didn't really kick his arse, he beat me in every game...
                      But to be fair, he's had practise and it was my first time!

Comment

As short and boring as this might sound, that's pretty much it for Tuesday
                        We pretty much just rested and enjoyed each other's company and felt ridiculously happy - seriously, do you guys ever feel so happy you think it's not normal? So happy that you think your heart is going to explode and you're screaming inside? So happy that it can make you cry?

I felt like that every single day, I'm more certain than ever that this is the man I want to be with for the rest of my life.
                        My heart is glowing just remembering that feeling. I'm SOOOO happy for you!!!!

p.s. Not boring in the slightest!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tanja View Post
                          seriously, do you guys ever feel so happy you think it's not normal? So happy that you think your heart is going to explode and you're screaming inside? So happy that it can make you cry?

Yes, I feel that all the time, like my heart is just going to burst!

I'm so happy to read this and I can't wait for Day 3!!! haha

Comment

Your story has not been boring AT ALL! I enjoy reading it.. can't wait to read more, the anticipation is killing me!! Come on day 3..

Comment

OMG this was absolutely amazing!!! I can't wait for day 3!!! And btw chester zoo is not that far away from where i live, i've been there hundreds of times

And when you talk about that 'feeling', i know EXACTLy what you mean. For the brief ten hours in total that i got to see my SO when he came to see me (was not feasible to stay over at his hotel...grrrr) i was constantly smiling, i guess thats what love is

Your absence has not taught me how to be alone, it merely has shown that when together we cast a single shadow on the wall. ~ Doug Fetherling

Comment

Working...
                              X