No announcement yet.

is 5273 miles too far??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope it's not too far, because I'm over 11,500 miles away from my girlfriend.

Comment

Well my bf is over 5000 miles away as well, but we don't have a language barrier. That could actually bring you closer, it can be a wonderful experience for both of you to really get to know each other. I wouldn't worry about the distance, there are many ways to communicate and if you two really care about each other and want it to work, it will work itself out. As for the time change, that I can understand. I am 6hrs behind my bf, so when I am going to bed he is usually just waking up. We have to work out a schedule ourselves after I see him, that way we get out time in. Maybe you guys can set up talk times, I know that might sound like a bit much but it could be like a date that is scheduled

Comment

Don't give up! Keep working on thee language situations and this challenge will make you a stronger couple

Comment

we shoudl chat more about our loves....we met at Oktoberfest last year. How about you
          I heard there are some german classes in Pioneer Square, just haven't stayed home long enough to research, perhaps we can talk...do you speak German?

Comment

My boyfriend is about as far away from me as your SO is from you. He lives in Greece, but speaks very fluent English (even better than some native English speakers I know!) So a language barrier isn't an issue. But I don't think you should let it stop you. Keep working on your German; it'll make him happy to know you've taken an interest in learning his native language. And of course help him with his English and encourage him to continuously work at improving it. It'll all be worth it in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
              I agree, but if they do not even have a basic knowledge in each other's language it is really important to at least learn conjugations, some nouns, and simple verbs. We all know that you can't become fluent just by taking language classes. I learned all my Spanish while in a Spanish speaking country. But I had some prior knowledge (1 year of classes). When I was in France, trying to learn French, it was extremely difficult. I learned some phrases and words but I couldn't get a grasp on the language without having that basic element learned.
              From what I have seen, he has a basic understanding of English.

Comment

me and my bf are 8983 miles apart, with a time difference of 8 hours (im in the UK at Uni while he's still living back home, in Australia). But we don't have a language barrier...
                how do you even communicate with a language barrier!?
                and no distance is too far...but routine certainly helps, as does regular communication and countdowns to visit etc! We try not to have more than 3 months apart each time, and each time we see each other it's for a whole month, and we're together 24/7. The shortest time we spent together was 3 weeks, and the longest was 3 months I'm so grateful for the amount of time we get to see each other, I know some people aren't as lucky. It's the memories from all the times we've spent together that keeps us going....because we know that one day we will be able to be together permanently and make even more happy memories every day
                I'm living off £10 a week for 9 months to raise money for 4 charities (Tommy's, Home-Start, Lupus UK and Hughes Syndrome Foundation)
                please visit my blog and sponsor me! https://10poundpom.blogspot.com/
                It's really easy to donate, you just go to the blog link, click on the Just Giving links at the top right hand side, and then click donate! It literally takes 30 seconds to fill in the details in order to donate and it will make such a difference to these amazing charities! Every donation is greatly appreciated, no matter how small!

'The reason it hurts so much to separate....is because our souls are connected'

Comment

Working...
                X