Flat rate, Gift Cards, and Parity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat rate, Gift Cards, and Parity

(CliffsNotes=bold text...oh, and does anyone else find it obnoxious that there is actually no apostrophe in the company title of CliffsNotes...?)

Hello, poppets. Okay, I am not British (completely) or...a creepy dude--I was just trying to be original! Also, I had some ridiculously ridiculous work days. I am zonked and it is just midnight!

I know there is the sticky with the holiday gift ideas, but this is a bit different and more about postage, I hope (also, with the sticky...I feel like it is for us to put up suggestions for good places, not necessarily to ask for specific ideas...maybe? Elipses... ... ...@.@ ...erm, but do inform me if the sticky has other functions than I have witnessed).

I was reading somewhere on the site, that the USA postal service has boxes that you pre-purchase for a certain amount and you can basically cram all you want in the box and it still stays at that flat rate (i.e. the weight of the package isn't a big issue). This seems like a good way to go, especially with Christmas packages that may have a lot of goodies in them or heavy things like chocolates, etc. I have tried to research the Canada Post website, but it seems like there are only pre-paid envelopes (which doesn't help too much with bulkier/ heavier stuff) (...or you can order postage supplies online, but that is just getting boxes, etc. and doesn't include a flat rate for postage). So, for any people living in Canada or people who have received packages from Canada, do you know if there might be the same option with Canada Post (or maybe Greyhound or something) to send to the USA? Is there Flat rate parcel postage from Canada to USA? (If so, can you post some info. about it?)

Gift cards are light and small, which can save immensely on postage fares. However, I think there is a bit of a stigma (among some, of course...I don't want to make a sweeping generalization) about gift cards being a bit tacky, perhaps, to give to someone really close to you (like your SO), as they are often viewed as impersonal, unoriginal, and too easy/ like after thoughts. Sometimes, though, I would disagree with that stigma and have liked getting gift cards from friends or family and can go and find clothes or music I really like and get to choose. Sometimes, because they might have purchased it from a place that I wouldn't shop normally or can't travel to expediently/ efficiently, or what have you, it seems like an impractical gift. Also, I will admit that there is something really pleasurable about opening up a nice parcel, etc. which I don't always feel when I get a gift card. What do you think about sending gift cards to your SO? Should I include a gift card to my SO for some of his Christmas gift this year? It seems to me that the Canadian dollar is at parity or near parity with the USA dollar, so (and I'm seriously not a finance or stocks genius, or what have you...at all)...it seems to me like it would be a good time to order things online for him that are in USA funds (but I don't usually dig the conversion rate, etc.). Thus, I know of his favourite clothing store or his favourite coffee shop as places that he would maybe enjoy a gift card for. I would know that he would like those things, but it feels like maybe the clothing store might be quite pricey and if I give the amount I can afford, then I am not sure that it will get him much or may be overshadowed by a big gift from the 'rents (especially with the monetary value right there). I thought that getting one for his local coffee shop would be a cool idea and I wouldn't have to spend on just that...but it seems like their website is always under maintenance and it's not like I am going to place a long-distance call like that or give my credit card # out to something that seems a little...disorganized online...any time soon. Canadian dollar at/ near parity w/ USA dollar=good for me getting gift that I normally couldn't afford? Gift cards= good or bad?

I'm unsure about the postage thing. Sorry =/

But I will answer the second question. I myself don't believe it's tacky. I WOULD definitely prefer a "real" gift though. Like if my SO were to throw in a $20 giftcard in, that'd be nice. But I do admit I wouldn't want it to be the main gift. I'm giving him a $50 gift card to a store he likes. I actually didn't exactly pay for it. My credit card gives me "points" whenever I make a purchase so I ended up saving my points and was able to get him a gift card as a result.

Comment

I have sent those flat rate boxes out of the country for the same rate. Not to Canada, actually an APO but it wouldn't hurt to go to the post office and ask.

Comment

Is there Flat rate parcel postage from Canada to USA?

In my past 4 years of shipping packages to my house in the states from Canada, no they don't have flat rate parcel postage, they do however have flat rate envelopes which cost $15 and they don't really fit a lot of things in it, but it's perfect for small objects that are kind of flat.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

I'm nt sure the cost, but try this link. It appears the Canada Post offers something similar to the USPS in terms of international priority. I couldn't figure out the flat rate details though.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/m...PGpriwor-e.asp

Comment

Can't help with the boxes... but on gift cards:

I personally am not a big fan of them. I think if a person knows me they should be able to come up with something better - unless the gift card is only part of the pressie. I would only give a gift card if the person requested one, or if it was the kind of person who really enjoys going shopping.
            Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Working...
            X