One month from tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One month from tomorrow

Ok, so me and my SO have been together for about two and a half months, and have known each other since March. We met online, and haven't met yet.
    BUT
    He flying into my state [Alabama] from his providence [Ontario. He's Canadian, I'm American] December 17th. That's a month from tomorrow. (:
    I'm very excited. He'll be staying with my family [I'm a senior in high school so I still live with my parents] so it wont be too pushy on the physical front, but I'm worried it's still going to be a bit awkward.
    For everyone who's already tackled the first visit hurdle, tell your stories?
    For everyone else, do you have similar thoughts? Or am I just being a worry wort?

I don't really have any firsthand advice, as I haven't been in that particular situation. I'm sure someone else will come share something helpful. The best I can do, though, is to remind you to just try to relax, and don't build it up as this huge, monumental thing in your head- you'll just get yourself anxious, and it may not live up to your expectations. So just take things as they come, and go with the flow.

(As a side note, Alabama, huh? Roll tide! )
    LFAD Book Challenge: 4/25 Complete
    Currently Reading: Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo (219/1463 pages read)
    Total Pages Read This Year: 3283

Comment

War Eagle. xD <3

Comment

I met my SO for the first time a few months ago....and honestly, it wasn't the slightest bit awkward. We were both nervous as heck but honestly, it felt like I'd known him in real life for ages. I had known him for ten months when he came to see me, and I expected myself to be a lot more wary around him, like meeting a total stranger for the first time, but it honestly felt like we'd known each other for years.
        I'd say just relax and try not to think of it as some huge life-changing thing, and most importantly, talk to him about it. Ask how he feels about it. When I met my SO I had a mini freak out, I just couldn't stop saying oh my god and hugging him haha, but I had warned him about it and he was totally freaking out as well so it was all good. The most important thing right now for you guys is communication

Your absence has not taught me how to be alone, it merely has shown that when together we cast a single shadow on the wall. ~ Doug Fetherling

Comment

We talked about boundaries before we met and things we were comfortable/not comfortable with - intimacy wise and so on. The first time you see them is soooo exciting, but don't be surprised if you're a little shy. We certainly were!

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Originally posted by Silviar View Post
            We talked about boundaries before we met and things we were comfortable/not comfortable with - intimacy wise and so on. The first time you see them is soooo exciting, but don't be surprised if you're a little shy. We certainly were!
            Yesssss boundaries are so important!!!! I'd forgotten about that......we spent AGES discussing exactly what was 'appropriate'. Don't feel pressured to do anything, if you want there to be no physical contact whatsoever then say so, its not like you have to kiss him or even hug him, just tell him what you're comfortable with.

Your absence has not taught me how to be alone, it merely has shown that when together we cast a single shadow on the wall. ~ Doug Fetherling

Comment

I agree with everyone on boundaries - it's important to talk about it beforehand. I met my SO for the first time last summer when I still lived at home. Do you have any chance of spending the first days somewhere else? We were in a hotel for the first days to get to know each other in private before meeting my parents. If not, just try to make him feel comfortable since he must be a bit nervous about meeting you and your parents. I was really nervous when I met my SO so I understand you. It was a little awkward at first but soon I realized that he was the same person that I had known for so long and relaxed. I wish you good luck, I'm sure you'll have a good time!

Comment

My SO and I had dated for over a year before our first visit. There still was an initial awkward state when we met with each other. It was hard for my SO because he'd never really contacted, let alone touch any girls, before. So when I met him at the airport and held him for a good 2 minutes, he was all "Um...that's enough." But you guys will warm up to each other, it may just take a few hours, or maybe days for more shy people. Is your SO staying in your house? It's good that you guys are setting boundaries, there are plenty of fun things to do without getting physical. Since you say he's coming to where you live, I guess you have a list of things you guys can do. Planning out that kind of stuff together beforehand is a good idea too. But you know even if you don't have anything to do you can just sit and stare at each other, lol. You guys will have a great time together

Comment

I just sat in the passenger seat staring out the window because I couldn't stop grinning and blushing... I would definitely recommend maybe going to lunch or something (if you have the option of picking him up alone) to break the ice before you're crammed into the house with your parents. I hope you have an amazing time though!

Comment

Yay!! How exciting!!!!
                    NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

Working...
                    X