Antibiotics Blunder!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antibiotics Blunder!

I think that my SO is very intelligent and I also think that his mother is. So, I am astounded at what they have done. He has a cold coming on and is really worried about it progressing and interfering with his final preparations for his composition recital--very understandable. What does he do, though? He fills a prescription that his mom was given when she had a cold, but had decided not to use it on her trip to the Netherlands (prescription was given at home..before she went on a two month trip). I thought he was joking at first, but then I said to him rather snarkily "...and what if it is a viral infection?" Him: *hamster wheel going* "I guess I'm screwed, then." Me: *attempting to audibly roll eyes* Him: *mutters* "I'll have to hope that it is something bacterial, because I've already taken one." I was pretty fuming, but I don't like to nag him and he doesn't like to be nagged, so I just asked about how long the course of the medication was for (he "thinks" a week) and discouraged him drinking any alcohol during the course of it (he had just finished telling me about the whopper strong drink his dad made him for Thanksgiving and, well, not to get into it too much...but I have had friends who have been very ill from interaction effects). Later in our general conversation, he starts complaining about an upset stomach from the antibiotics. I'm exasperated and encourage him to eat an antacid. He checks the bottle for the antibiotics and no antacids are allowed and he's like "Wow, the dosage on these is really high!"

Ugh! I'm so mad and so worried! I can't believe he was so mental.

Abuse of antibiotics invented horrible infections like MRSA XP. That's something I feel incredibly strong about to. Don't use other people's stuff, if you really need some meds the doctor will give it to you. I can understand if he's low income and can't afford medication, but taking random stuff can be dangerous too. If he starts getting really sick tell him to call poison control. They won't arrest him or anything, they'll just smack him over the phone for what he did XP.

Comment

Working...
    X