Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New and Greetings from Singapore! Need some advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New and Greetings from Singapore! Need some advice!

Hi everyone!
    I'm new on this site cause i really need someone who is in the same boat as me to give me more advice!
    I am a 19 years old Singapore girl who met her the other half all the way 2947 miles away in Beijing when I was there for my internship. By the way, this guy is my first boyfriend in 19 years of my life, cause i'm usually too scared about break ups or whether i see a future or not with that guy. But with him, I didn't avoid, didn't hesitate, just pure happiness.
    My internship was for 2 months and just 3 day of being in beijing, I went to the pretty nice salon behind my apartment for a haircut. And I got to know my hairdresser. Somehow we managed get each other's number and started messaging each other and slowly we met very often after his work for supper. With my friends and his friends at first.

He's working schedule is 9.30am to 10pm so we hardly get to spend much time together.
    In fact this 2 months we didn't even have a proper date together.
    He's a nice and serious guy. So when we knew this was soon gonna a long distance relationship, he said we're being unrealistic and ask me to think twice about this.

He used to tell me things like "how am I going to live without you" when he walk me home and all. And text me things like "love you" or "miss you" before we go to bed. But ever since there was some problem with my accommodation. Both of us got a place and moved in together for the last 18 days I was there. He never said anything sweet to me at all and we just hug each other for while and all. he would usually be the first to push me away.
    One night i talked to him about how i feel he's slowly being colder to me than usual. He just said he's not those guys that are good with mushy words or he's not the romantic kind. Cause if he always says all these, they would lose it's meaning. I don't know if all these is an excuse or what. But it's true he's really bad at expressing how he feels.

Like I really hate he's smoking and drinking habits (beers) and he's alcohol tolerance is really bad so he gets drunk easily. So since now I'm back in Singapore and we've been long distance for 2 weeks. Just 2 weeks! and he got drunk after we just webcamed and we were so happy cause we hardly have the chance to since he's ex-girlfriend took away his laptop and i understand his financial situation now. Besides his pay is extremely low to be able to buy a laptop to talk to me now.
    So I was really upset as i told him i do not like him getting drunk when i'm not around.
    then he told me he was feeling quite down yesterday, sorry to make me worry.

The next day i called him to ask what happened, why is he so upset. And he just said "job problems" and he doesnt wanna tell me.
    I hate that! Since I always tells him everything with no secrets! and most of the things he doesn't want to tell me. I always end up guessing, sometimes i get them right but sometimes i just go crazy guessing.

Him not being open and sharing everything with me makes me feel horrible. Cause I'm his girlfriend, i expect him to want to share any joy or sorrows with me.

Now I'm the one calling him every night, cause I've gotten the international calling card and he haven't got any time to go down to the city to get it since that card isn't easily accessible in Beijing. Once I got really tired as I usually call when he ends work since i know all his schedule. But i thought he would actually QQ (instant message) me to call him cause he's free now, but NO!

Sometimes I will go to his workplace around 9.50pm everyday to wait for him to end work and go for supper together since I end at 5pm and finish all my housework and office work. While waiting sometimes I see some bunch of girls coming in and requesting for him to cut their hair. They would all surround him and laugh and giggle all and at the end of the day ask for his number. This makes me really insecure cause they were all so pretty! and he meets so many girls a day. Besides I think he's really good looking. I have talked to him about this before but he just says don't worry, and why do i have so little confidence with myself cause he's not those who would fall for everyone he sees or every pretty girl.
    But since my dad is a womanizer i was worried guys could just easily say things like this to ease my mind but not mean it?

-PHOEBE
    I really need some advice and opinion of what you think about all these.

Welcome to LFAD Phoebe.

I'm sorry you are having a frustrating time with the distance. Part of it is that it's so new for you guys. You've only been apart for a few weeks, so it takes some getting used to.
    For the communication issues: In my opinion, one of the most important things you have to do in an LDR is set standards for communication. Have a serious talk about how often you guys want to talk and how that will be done. For example, my fiance doesn't have much money and he doesn't have a laptop, so we know we can't talk for hours everyday. But from the beginning, we agreed on 1/2 an hour a day. He can afford 30 minutes of internet time at an cyber cafe and if for some reason he can't make it, I can afford to call him for 30 minutes with phone cards every once in awhile.

I just really think this stuff needs to be talked about and set up. My ex-boyfriend and I didn't address the problem and I ended up feeling bitter towards him because I was always the one spending money to go call him and he never made the effort.

So that's my advice: Have a serious talk with him so you guys can set up your schedules. Even if you just plan a day or two a week where he goes to a cyber, that would be great and would probably make you feel better.

As for the womanizer stuff: It doesn't seem like he's shown any signs of this. Don't worry about those girls at his work. He loves you and has chosen to be with you. Try and have confidence in yourself. And try not to put the worries from your dad being a womanizer on this new relationship.

Hope this helps

Comment

hi mllebamako,

thanks alot for your advice!
      I really need someone to tell me what to do cause i'm afraid i would flare up during my calls to him cause i'm really afraid of losing him.
      Yeah we talked about it yesterday and he told me to not call him so often. And he'll get the calling card soon cause he feels bad that I'm doing it all the time.
      Maybe he started feeling bad just because i kinda told him off and cried that i'm quite tired of this.
      So i should really stop making calls over for now yeah?

My calling card to china is about the same price as how it would be for him to call me. He doesn't earn much so i thought i could do the calling. but now i'm not too sure. i'm just hoping for a balance. or at least he'll initiate asking me to phone over. at least i know he's thinking about me.

What about him not being open and sharing what he's upset about with me? I don't really feel comfortable with that.

Thanks once again

Comment

Phoebe,
        Welcome to LFAD !
        Before i met my SO, i just end an LDR too. Its almost the same like you, i had problem with his drinking habits. He's actually a good guy, but i don't like him when he's drinking-because he will call me and talk "rubbish" as he said.
        He will say something about his ex, and lots of other things that hurt me.
        And the next day he will call me and say sorry.
        First time it happens, i just think that... ok he had a problem, so its ok to drink sometimes. But then i see he did that quite regularly. I try talk with his mum, but its just stir things up as she thought i was accusing his son as a drinker. He also told his mum that my problem is i got jealous on him!
        I just got enough, so i don't want to pick up his phone call, when i know he was drunk and he got so pis off.
        He send me text and said i don't understand his culture, and he just socially drink. Its just not true! are you going to sing backstreet boy song and put stereo on the highest volume or sleep on the floor naked if you "socially drunk"? i feel like he treat me like a moron. So, thats it... i had enough.
        I moved on.

Theres 3 kind of men my grandma said i had to avoid:
        1. Man addicted to gambling/Gambler
        2. Man addicted to alcohol, and just can't control him self/Drinker
        3. Man that can't keep his pecker on his pants while i am not around/Player

And oh.. i think i wont be jealous if theres girls around him. Seriously... if he just a douche bag, he wont spent his money on long distance call almost every night and sending sms at least once a day! and this is last for like 6 months!

Its just the drinking i can not stand!

Comment

Hi uniquefem

Just curious i keep seeing the acronym "SO" what does it stands for?
          Yeah he do have a drinking habit of a bottle a beer a day.
          Couldn't stand it at first but i slowly accepted that cause i really love him.
          But not hard liqueur and getting drunk.
          I got really worried and upset and talked to him about it and i told him to never be like that ever.
          He said okay, hopefully he meant it.
          Thanks for sharing.

Yeah i know i have to avoid, gamblers, sex addicts and womanizers and heavy drinkers as well. they're no good for me and i really hate smokers!
          but what to do when you china boyfriend keeps telling you china's cigs and beers are so cheap! (beer's cheaper than water)
          and he claims to not have any hobby so he drinks and smoke when he's lonely, bored or sad.
          what the hell, seriously.

Comment

Working...
          X