Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you and your SO speak the same native language?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you and your SO speak the same native language?

Just wondering here,

How many of you guys speak the same native language as your SO?
    Or perhaps you guys communicate in a common language you both know yet its not your native language you use back home.

In my country, majority of the time we do speak english but in order to communicate with my SO, I have to speak my second language which is Mandarin. Besides I'm also chinese myself so i would definitely know how to speak Chinese just not as good as him so its difficult at times to verbalize my thoughts well.

Do you guys experience anything like this?

Do share your communication problems or anything related!

My native language is English, his is Spanish. We're both fluent in both so we kind of go back and forth. When I really want to get my point across I always speak in English so I know EXACTLY what it is I'm saying. We chat/email in Spanish, and talk on Skype in English. I'm allowing him to speak English with me now since he's going to be coming here first. But a month before I move down there, we're switching to Spanish so I can practice!!!

Comment

My first language is English and I am pretty fluent in French. I know a little Bambara but it's pretty basic.
      My SO's first language is Bambara, he is fluent in English and speaks pretty fluent French too.

99% of the time we use English together. It is a rare moment when we bust out French or Bambara and it's usually because we're joking or something. But then if we're around other people in Mali we use French or Bambara.
      We don't really have any communication problems as far as language goes. Once in awhile, he can't find the word he wants to use in English and has to explain it or give it in French.

Comment

Yep, we're both Danish... so no language barrier there
        Yet, both our insider jokes and Danish slang in general consist of a huge amount of English vocabulary... so.. we do switch back and forth^^

Comment

My SO and I use his native language to communicate, which is Japanese.
          Since he doesn't know English... or Danish, my native language, for that matter.

Then I have the opportunity to improve my Japanese every time we talk.
          I actually "study" on university level (since my major is Japanese), just by talking with him. XD

Comment

My native language is German and my SO's is English. Since his German skills are still on a very beginner-level and sicne I'm fluent in English we always speak in English to each other. He's trying to improve his German though, but it's still not good enough to have a whole in depth conversation Someday....

Comment

My native language is Spanish and Jon's is English. I'm pretty fluent in English and he knows nothing of Spanish apart from the very few things he remembers from a Spanish class he took in High School or the things he sometimes asks me the meaning of but nothing on a semi-comversation level yet. I'm hoping to teach him (and possibly, his parents) in depth once I move in with him this year (crossing my fingers) since my parent's know nothing of English and I'd love for them to be able to communicate without me having to translate every single thing.

Comment

My SO grew up with both English and German, but when she moved from the USA back to Germany when she was young she really only spoke German except for when learning more English at school. But even though for most of her life she only spoke German she still understands and speaks English perfectly which is good as English is my native language and my German is on a very beginner level

Comment

Since I am from the UK I speak English. My SO is South African but his first language is English. His second language is Afrikaants, but he hardly uses ts as his parents speak english. Its just some other members of his family that speak Afrikaants.

However even though we speak the same language, we each have different words and phrases we use which at the beginning were alien. Now though we know everything each other says even using our own phrases.

For example. If I am going to do something in a bit, then I say "I'll do it in a little while." But for my SO they say "I'll do it just now." So Im waiting for him to do something and he sits there. In South Africa if you want something doing at that moment you say "I'll do it now now." Confusing hey!

Comment

I'm boring both my boyfriend and I were born in the US so we both speak English. In high school I took French and he took Spanish so sometimes we'll talk to eachother in one of those languages. My mom talks to my boyfriend in Spanish cause she knows a bit. It makes me angry I don't know what she's saying.lol.
                    One of my good friends her first language was Spanish and she's dating a boy who's dad is from Germany. He's just learning now in college how to really speak it though. It's funny because they speak english to each other most of the time but if she wants to be mean to him she'll start talking in spanish and try to get him to either reply in german or in spanish. He just gets angry that she's trying to confuse him though. It cracks me up.

Comment

Well I am 'fluent' in two languages: Bad English and worser English LOL. In truth I am from the UK (central UK at that) and my wife is a Texan. I will often use words or slang that my wife will just look at me and go "say what?". But then sometimes she will say something and I will just look at her and say "Yeah, OK what ever you said deary" LOL

Even though we both technically speak the same language, slang words, rhythm, pitch and even pronunciations can just cause hilarity sometimes. Best example I can think of is the word "Squirrel". I pronounce it so differently that my wife and her family just fall about laughing at me. *shrugs*
                      Love is the only thing that can cross all boundaries and cannot be stopped. It crosses countries, continents, oceans and even the stars themselves. It makes peace in the middle of war, and stops hatred in it's tracks. -Anon

Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. - Apostle Paul in his first letter to the Church at Corinth (1 Corinthians 13:3-5)

Comment

my native language is English, his is Spanish. We are both NOT fluent in the other's native language. However, I can understand Spanish and he can understand English. So Many time I speak to him in English, he responds in Spanish. Otherwise I will speak in Spanish and we will communicate that way.

Comment

My first language is Indonesian language. I speak English and little bit French. My SO speak several language, his first language is Russian. He speak English as he live in USA for 5 years, a little bit German because he work there and French.

Sometimes it confuse me when i talk with him because his accent (English bit mixed by Russian accent). And he sometimes misunderstood because sometimes i use uncommon English words... like slang (there are plenty American and Canadian expat at my workplace). I miss his accent tho...

I try to learn to say few words in Russia, and its really made him happy, hehehe... i teach him some Indonesian too.

I think language not really a problem to us.

Comment

Not...exactly?

My native language is technically Mandarin, as I grew up around it and continue to speak it to my parents on a day to day communication basis. However, I live in America and have been educated in English. He only speaks Mandarin。 Thus, most of the time we're fine, until we're really discussing something. Then I start by trying to stay all in Mandarin, but eventually give up and use English. He can understand me ok, but slowly, and will respond in Mandarin.

Comment

Me and my SO both speak English but he also speaks Spanish with his family :3 I plan on taking Spanish in College.

First Met Online: May 08
                              Became a Couple: 4.11.09
                              First Visit: 7.27.11 - 8.11.11
                              Second Visit: 9.15.12 - 9.23.12
                              Third Visit: 7.6.13 - 7.14.13

Comment

Working...
                              X