Positives of an LDR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Positives of an LDR?

OK so LDRs are often really hard, but I was just wondering what people think are the best things about being in an LDR? I have a few ideas:

1. You get to travel and get free accommodation
    2. You keep up friendships and school work better
    3. I don't know who my SO's exes are and don't have to see them around where I live :P

One of the biggest is that if you want a committed, loving relationship, an LDR really shows your mettle at handling communication issues and difficult times. You learn more about people in times of stress and difficulty than in good times, and an LDR will show you pretty quickly if you're able to handle problems together or not.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

1)An LDR seems to be the Ultimate relationship test- if you can get through all the crap that comes with it; no physical contact, balancing the relationship with other aspects of your life, time-differences, the potential of not being able to see each other for long periods of time, basically jumping through hoops to get back to your SO.. if you can get through all of that, you can get through pretty much anything!

2) You learn to be more independent I guess? CD, it's easy just to use your SO as a crutch, when they aren't around all the time, you learn to be stronger on your own.

3) I can go shopping in my scrubby clothes looking like a hobo and I couldn't care less, as my SO isn't around to look nice for

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
      <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
      The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
      <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
      <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
      Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
      Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

For me the travel part is a big plus XD
        Since I had an obsession with Japan and travelled in Japan many times, long before I met my Japanese SO. Now I've found him, who pays for my tickets to Japan, if he can't come to Denmark. And yesterday he asked me where I wanted to go, since he would rent a car and want us to go on a "road-trip". How many foreigners get to do that in Japan XD.

Then I also like the thought, that I don't have to worry about that my SO is just together with me for yeah... "physical reasons" or other "unserious reasons". Since he is the one who always pays for flight tickets. Either his to Denmark or mine to Japan (there's around 7 weeks between our visits). Even pays half my rent and such...

And yeah, we really "treasure" the time we have together a lot more than CD couples probably does. Aahh the passion. XD

Comment

Originally posted by nicole View Post
          3) I can go shopping in my scrubby clothes looking like a hobo and I couldn't care less, as my SO isn't around to look nice for

Cheers mate!

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

learning about what true love is, teaches you about trust and commitment

Comment

I'm new to this kind of relationship, so some of the things I recently noticed as "good" about it were the fact that I could actually travel to see him, instead of staying around, and having a sometimes boring routine. Also, there's this excitement before I see him, it can't be compared to any other kind of excitement, I'm just so enthusiastic about it, and I have something to wait for, hope for, etc. This keeps things tense, imo. I mean, if I were seeing him every day, we would get bored of each other.
              And it also showed me, that in this kind of relationship, physical contact isn't the only thing that matters necessarily. We can have some long philosophical talks on the msn, we are trying, to balance in a way, what we miss, by talking. Of course, when we see each other, we get a little passionate, but that's the great thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Silviar View Post

Cheers mate!
                hehehe you were all thinking it!

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm sort of undecided about the travel thing. It is nice to have a 2nd home in another country/city. If we lived together we'd be able to travel to all sorts of interesting places together, that are not his or my city. We have a really long list of places we'd like to visit, but atm lack money and time, when we travel it's to see each other. It's a 50/50 thing really.

I agree with what nicole said about the indepence, though. As much as I hate him not being around and as much as I sometimes just wish he'd hold me hand, it always boosts my self-confidence when I did something/went somewhere all alone. Imho being happy and confident with yourself is the best thing you can do for your SO.

I'm not sure whether this is only an LDR-thing, but not being with my boyfriend all the time and wanting to show him how much I care and how much I love him, really brings out the creativity in me. I can't just squeeze his hands or hug him and tell him how much he means to me, so I'm constantly thinking about cute, creative ways to show. Pictures, crafts, little gifts, mails, etc.
                  I hope I'll continue this even when we'll eventually be close distance.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Yeah, the whole long-distance relationship test is a good thing when you've gone months without kisses and cuddles, you're definitely confirming that what you have is way more than just physical..
                    Plus, seeing that he's (miraculously) more than willing to put up with this fireball of emotions - even from a distance - shows me that he's a keeper

Comment

I can work as much as I want without feeling like I am intruding on quality time with my SO.

Comment

I find that I like the anticipation of getting to see him.
                        LFAD Book Reading Challenge: 3/25
                        -Book's finished: Dreamfever, Time Enough For Love, Oceans Apart

-Currently Reading: Dark Lover by J.R. Ward, The Shack

Comment

I can watch whatever i want, play whatever game i want and if i want to lounge around in my sweats watching Kevin Smith DVDs i can (My SO is not a big fan)
                          Having a double bed to yourself is also pretty great but not all the time.
                          As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

I get to maintain my independence, which is extremely important to me, its also proven to me how much communication and deep friendship really do matter in a relationship. Also, the reunions are amazing
                            Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I get to focus on my studies and my jobs without feeling like I'm giving up my time with him. As a freshman resident assistant I see a lot of people fall seriously behind in school, because they want to be with their SO all the time. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that. My education is important to me, it's nice to not have any distractions.

I also am more comfortable having male friends, because I know I'm in a committed relationship and they know I'm in a committed relationship so there's no pressure or concern about things developing past a friendship.

My SO and I are forced to discuss are feelings, because there is no other option.

We're more inclined to talk about EVERYTHING together, because we can't get physically distracted by one another.

Our visits are exciting and loving and mean so much more than a regular date night that happens all too often.

Lastly, because of the age difference, this is allowing us both to get settled into adult life before having to adjust to being together.

Comment

Working...
                              X