Time Zone Strain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Zone Strain

I live in Pennsylvania, and my SO lives in England. He is about five hours ahead of me so when I am finally getting out of school, he is about to get ready for bed! It's kind hard because I feel really bad that he stays up until about 12pm or even 1am sometimes just to talk to me. He says he doesn't mind but I know it has to be hard on his sleeping habits. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know there really isn't anything we can do to change time, no matter how awesome that would be, but maybe there is a way to minimize the amount of sleep we lose without only having a few minutes to talk to eachother?

I wish I could give you a suggestion, but unfortunately time differences can't be beat - all you can do is modify your schedule to find time to talk. Nothing beats time.

If you find a way, please share, and I shall salute you. I'd love to know a way to do it myself!

In all seriousness though, if he's not bothered by it, it might really not bother him depending on how much sleep he gets. People have different sleeping needs.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

I don't have any suggestions. My SO is 12 hours ahead of me, so when I get up she's getting ready for bed. We have to either get up early or stay up late to talk to each other. There's no way around it.

Comment

Yeah, I got the same problem. My SO also lives in Pennsylvania and I live in Denmark, so there's a 6 hour difference. There's just nothing we can do about it, so we both have to compromise and get up early or stay up late to talk to each other. Usually I'm the one staying up late for my SO, and he constantly feels bad about that too. But honestly, I don't mind. It's worth it to get to talk to my SO And I'm sure that's how your SO feels too! So I wouldn't worry about it so much

Comment

Sorry, no helpful hints here, either. We also have a 5 hour time difference. I'm the one up until 2 am. We were up all last night, we didn't say goodnight til 5:45 am, which was 12:45 am where he is.

He has expressed concern about keeping me up at night. Fortunately for him, I'm a notorious insomniac. I tell him that I'll let him know when I'm tired. Or he can tell when I've fallen asleep on him, I just stop texting!

When we love, it isn't because the person's perfect, it's because we learn to see an imperfect person perfectly.

True love does not worry about the distance between, for the heart and soul travels through one's words

When two people are meant for each other, no time is too long, no distance is too far, and no one can ever tear them apart.

1 universe, 9 planets, 7 continents, 194 countries, 50 states and 10 provinces...and I had the privilege to meet you.

Comment

I'm in PA also, my guy is in Finland, which is a 7 hour difference. There really isn't much you can do, except sacrifice some sleep, my poor honey goes to bed at 2:30 - 3:00 every night, so we can get a little time every day and I race home from work every evening, so we can maximize our time. Sorry, I know that's not particularly helpful, but you guys aren't alone at least You can always try to make up some time on weekends and days off, that's what we try to do. Good luck adjusting, I see by your ticker your relationship is new, you'll work it out.
            Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Ack, i'm sorry about that, can't even imagine. Sorry, i don't have any suggestions but i think it's cute that he'll stay up later to talk to you
              sigpic

Comment

Yep unfortunatly you cant beat time, I'm in England and my SO is in Canada which puts me 7 hours in front. We both stay up late to talk, weve even pulled all nighters that were totally worth it.
                New Years Eve was awesome as we got to celebrate it together twice... that did mean i had zero sleep but it was totally worth it.
                As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

I agree with everyone here... timezones are tough!! I live in 8 hours behind my SO in Canada while he lives in the UK... he usually stays up well past 12am his time.. sometimes as late (or early! haha) as 7am, or even 8 or 9am.. usually that's only when I work late or something so we can talk for a bit longer. I do feel really bad about it but at the same time, I like it because I love talking to him But every now and then he has to go to sleep early so it doesn't put too much strain on his body. And when he finds a new job again, it'll be more important for him to get a proper night's sleep.. but we'll work it out. It's worth the effort to figure out what works.

Comment

We have 6h difference.
                    Here it's currently 10.22 pm, there is 4.22 pm, she's still at the university, and I dont know when she will be out as she has an exam. It takes about 2 hours door to door to go back home because of the trafic... so we might speak at around 1-2am... and I will wake up at 6.45am... but I dont mind, I love her

Comment

My SO and I are 7 hours different. We skype the days I have off when I wake up and its early evening for him. The days that I work if I am lucky I catch him before work. The days that our schedule clash we just email each other daily.

Comment

The only thing I can really recommend is emailing each other during the day. My SO is 6 hours ahead of me, and that's what we did until now. Now, I'm student teaching, and I can be at the school really late. My SO and I only get to skype three times a week and we can only email until right before school starts. I only tell you this because it could always be a lot worse. Even with as little as it seems that I get to talk to him, I still know it could be worse.
                        "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                        Made it official: September 17, 2010
                        Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                        Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                        Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                        Got married: November 21, 2012
                        Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                        Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
                          I'm in PA also, my guy is in Finland, which is a 7 hour difference. There really isn't much you can do, except sacrifice some sleep, my poor honey goes to bed at 2:30 - 3:00 every night, so we can get a little time every day and I race home from work every evening, so we can maximize our time. Sorry, I know that's not particularly helpful, but you guys aren't alone at least You can always try to make up some time on weekends and days off, that's what we try to do. Good luck adjusting, I see by your ticker your relationship is new, you'll work it out.
                          Yeaaaah ^^ We just started going out but we've been close friends for a while now :3 Thanks everyone for the support!!

Comment

My SO is 6 hours behind. We try and call each other on our lunch breaks and inbetween email. Sometimes he calls in a morning when I'm waking up and on our day off we try to talk for a lot longer. You just find ways of making it work

Comment

Denise is also 5 hours ahead of me, but we have it worked it out, I'm very used to the timezone already and you just gotta find the time to adjust to it. I normally call her around 2 my time which is 7 here time right before she goes to bed, im used to it so its not a big deal to me

Comment

Working...
                              X