To do list before moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To do list before moving

I was going to write especially to those who already moved to their SO and those who are in process of planning to move but I think everyone on here has those thoughts in their heads and has to think of the things to do. So yes,

What to do before moving?
    And how not to forget about anything to do? Like checking out of your city/village, bank account transfer etc..

Bank account, obviously. Make sure you have all the documents you need, and make sure they're translated and authorized properly (if required). If you plan to apply for studies in another country, check the demands beforehand (exams you need to take, diplomas or grade sheets you need to provide, etc'). Finish up any assignments you may have at your country (school assignments, job assignments, etc'). Doing them from abroad, especially when you've just moved, is a hassle you don't need.

Less obvious stuff:
    If you have stuff you borrowed from people, make a list and return it before you go. Same for money - return what you owe, and get all the money anyone owes you (you WILL need it). If you can think of stuff you no longer need, sell it (again, you WILL need the money) or donate it. You won't be able to carry many CDs, so get a large external hard drive (I got a 500 GB) and back up any music you may want to have with you. Use same harddrive to back up the content of your computer, and pack it seperately from your laptop when moving. Handpick which books you can't live without, and which you can replace later. Same for clothes, shoes and jewelry. Baggage is limited, and stuff you accumulate over 20 years may not be... Make a list of stuff you will miss in your country and go "say farewell to it" - visit your favourite restaurant one last time, your favourite bar, your favourite spot of your city. Same for meeting friends. Those memories can be priceless later when, when you're homesick.

That's off the top of my head.

Comment

This is a really good place to start: https://moving.about.com/od/internat...seas_howto.htm

Personally, for my list, I took a look at stuff like that, then I sat down and made a list of all things I need in daily life here, and what I'll need over there. So I focused on big things first:

1) Money situation - how much do I need, how can I save, etc. I wrote a blog post about it here, in specific, for an idea.
      2) Health Insurance. It's a really, really bad idea to leave yourself unprotected, so making sure that works out is important.
      3) Stuff. Literally - things. What are you going to do with them? I made a list of what I wanted to keep, sell, and throw away. Then for stuff I was throwing away/giving away, I've started moving it out. With 70 days to go, I really only have about 40 left to get all of my crap in order, it's really not that much time! Especially since I'm moving overseas, I'm having to get rid of everything except a few boxes of stuff, which my mom will luckily allow me to store with her until I get an apartment - and then I have to pay for shipping, ugh.
      4) social aspect - who to say goodbye to, are there things one should do before leaving, etc.

Then I have a really specific list of big things I need to do. Example here.The list is still being updated as I think of things. I also have a list started for things I need to do once I get settled there, such as get my tax ID, open a bank account, etc.

It's important to remember before, during, and after for your planning.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

This is a really good place to start: https://moving.about.com/od/internat...seas_howto.htm

Personally, for my list, I took a look at stuff like that, then I sat down and made a list of all things I need in daily life here, and what I'll need over there. So I focused on big things first:

1) Money situation - how much do I need, how can I save, etc. I wrote a blog post about it here, in specific, for an idea.
        2) Health Insurance. It's a really, really bad idea to leave yourself unprotected, so making sure that works out is important.
        3) Stuff. Literally - things. What are you going to do with them? I made a list of what I wanted to keep, sell, and throw away. Then for stuff I was throwing away/giving away, I've started moving it out. With 70 days to go, I really only have about 40 left to get all of my crap in order, it's really not that much time! Especially since I'm moving overseas, I'm having to get rid of everything except a few boxes of stuff, which my mom will luckily allow me to store with her until I get an apartment - and then I have to pay for shipping, ugh.
        4) social aspect - who to say goodbye to, are there things one should do before leaving, etc.

Then I have a really specific list of big things I need to do. Example here.The list is still being updated as I think of things. I also have a list started for things I need to do once I get settled there, such as get my tax ID, open a bank account, etc.

It's important to remember before, during, and after for your planning.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Before I leave I will need to cancel my cell phone contract, cancel my health care. Sell my car. Go to the Doctor and dentist one more time. Back up photos on to my hard drive and moms computer. I also need to make sure there is enough money in my bank account for when they take out money for rrsps, I am only planning to go for two years so I won't close out my account.
          I have an irrational thought that my house is going to burn down while I am away so I told my mom i'm going to have a small bag on my bed of things that if possible she could save for me (pics and other irreplaceable stuff) I am thinking of buying a fireproof save/box before i go. I also need to find a computer for my grandparents before I leave so I can skype with them while I am gone.

Comment

I was thinking about that as well. I don't have many dvds, only like 100, but what will I do with them? I do want to keep them, but shipping them will be so expensive and then they might even get lost...

Comment

Originally posted by NaNi View Post
              I was thinking about that as well. I don't have many dvds, only like 100, but what will I do with them? I do want to keep them, but shipping them will be so expensive and then they might even get lost...
              Also before sending them I would make sure your dvds work in the other country. There are those different zones on DVDs which mean if I brought some from canada to my bf in uk they wouldn't play in their dvd players.

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
                Also before sending them I would make sure your dvds work in the other country. There are those different zones on DVDs which mean if I brought some from canada to my bf in uk they wouldn't play in their dvd players.
                My dvds all have different zones, but I can play all of them on my MacBook with the VLC player!

My SO's dvd player also, thankfully, plays all kind of zones.

Comment

Originally posted by NaNi View Post
                  I bought a CD case which holds 100 discs, then just removed all my DVDs from the cases and transferred them to that... they are freaking heavy though, I left them in the States after my last visit. You can also get a dvd ripper like handbrake and put the movies onto your harddrive.

I've just been thinking of my clothing situation. I think I am leaving a majority of the ones I bring on my next visit there, so I'll only have to pack my winter clothes when I finally close the distance. A friend of mine bought a crate and shipped it on a boat, it took months to get there, but if you pack things in there which you won't need straight away, it might be worth doing too.

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                  <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                  The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                  <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                  <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                  Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                  Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nicole View Post
                    I bought a CD case which holds 100 discs, then just removed all my DVDs from the cases and transferred them to that... they are freaking heavy though, I left them in the States after my last visit. You can also get a dvd ripper like handbrake and put the movies onto your harddrive.
                    I do want to find a way to take the cases, too. I really like dvds.

I might just send them in a box with DHL or UPS. But are you even allowed to send so many dvds? They'll probably think I'm going to sell them.

I could also just ship them. Will be more expensive, but I also have other things which I want to take with me. My Wii, xbox 360, a few books...

Comment

Working...
                    X