Summer internship or summer visit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer internship or summer visit?

I feel like its one of those choose between your career or your SO situations. This choice is not final-it only concerns this summer, but it feels like it is. If I don't go back to China this summer to see him, I'll have to wait until NEXT summer, if I get the study scholarship at all. If not I'll still go, because it will be time off between undergraduate and graduate school(I need a break sometime), but the point being I have to wait another year.

On the other hand, I'm a junior in college, and at a point where I should be looking for internships and work experience. Sadly, my schedule did not turn out that well this semester, and I do not have the time for an internship because my classes are TOO well spaced out. Most internships want me me to commit full days, but I have class everyday!

Thus, a summer internship would be the perfect thing. Especially because I haven't done much(just one internship last fall in Beijing), and I really need to catch up. Just good grades will get me no where in life.

But on the other hand, that's a year and a half or more I'm choosing to wait if I get a summer internship between my next visit. At this stage, I'm not sure we can take a year and a half apart...

That's rough. I have no idea how I'd act if I were actually in such a situation, but right now I'd say that I would go visit. My reason for this is, while careers are very important, I'd rather be a homeless man with my SO than a wealthy man with my dream job but no Brianna. That's just how I look at it! Definitely something that will have to be though about incredibly in depth.

Comment

As someone who's working on an MBA to make a career change, I need the contacts and experience gained through an internship. I've applied for several this summer and yes that means after next weekend, I probably won't see him for 6-7-8 months unless he comes visit me where the internship is located (I've applied for one here in Florida, one in upstate NY, and one in greater Los Angeles).

Without my career, there is no "us", there is no "closing the distance".

When we love, it isn't because the person's perfect, it's because we learn to see an imperfect person perfectly.

True love does not worry about the distance between, for the heart and soul travels through one's words

When two people are meant for each other, no time is too long, no distance is too far, and no one can ever tear them apart.

1 universe, 9 planets, 7 continents, 194 countries, 50 states and 10 provinces...and I had the privilege to meet you.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyGund View Post
        Without my career, there is no "us", there is no "closing the distance".
        I agree with this. As much as my SO and I want to be together, if we don't deal with school and work, we won't be able to have the future that we want together.
        "Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue,
        a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them
        which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky."
        - Rainer Maria Rilke

"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet,
        regardless of time, place, or circumstance.
        The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break."
        - an ancient Chinese belief

Comment

Honestly, Take the internship. They help you IMMENSELY when it comes to work experience down the line.
          "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love " ~ Theodore Seuss Geisel.

Comment

Why don't you try looking up internships in China? Have a double and beautiful experience! Resume booster

Comment

I am not always pro school/pro work experience as the majority here seem to be (all the time, not just this thread). I'm all about doing what makes you happiest. We only get one life. If an internship is what leaves you most fulfilled at the end of the day, then that is the way to go. If the summer with your SO is where your heart wants you, well, you have the rest of your life for the other pieces to fall into place.

Comment

Originally posted by garnet View Post
                I am not always pro school/pro work experience as the majority here seem to be (all the time, not just this thread). I'm all about doing what makes you happiest. We only get one life. If an internship is what leaves you most fulfilled at the end of the day, then that is the way to go. If the summer with your SO is where your heart wants you, well, you have the rest of your life for the other pieces to fall into place.
                ^Seconded.
                My heart belongs to a pilot!
                ~*~
                ~*~
                [/center]

Comment

Do NOT, and I mean NOT, let your relationship get in the way of your career. I forgot which clever woman said "my career will never tell me that it doesn't love me anymore". Do not EVER put yourslef in a situation when if a relationship fail you have nothing to fall back on. For me the choice is obvious: take the internship. There will be no second opportunity.

Comment

You mentioned you were a junior in college, but that you are going to grad school so personally, I wouldn't be too concerned with internships at this point because you have already done one internship and you still have several years before you are going to be entering the workforce. Would it be possible for you to get an internship near your SO though? If the two of you can't stand being apart for that long of a time period, then, I think it's something you really have to heavily consider.

Comment

If I was only able to visit my SO once a year, I don't think I'd give that up. Have you tried looking for internships near him? Is it possible that he could stay with you while you were doing an internship in your country? If not, I'd just put it off. You always have time later :]

Comment

I think some of you are getting the facts of my life a little mixed up. Let me summarize it here again:
                        1) I am a junior in college. 24 more credits till I graduate. I plan on taking 12 per semester for my last year, to make things a bit easier on my self and so I can finally do other stuff.
                        2) I have had one internship in China-a small startup software company. I did mostly social media and other marketing work for them, so its kind of relatable.
                        3) I am going to law school. This is decided.
                        4) I am also planning to apply to the Rotary Scholarship or Fulbright Scholarship. Probably Rotary scholarship. Basically looking for this for three reasons:
                        To be in the same country as my SO, to have an enriching life experience where I will get to learn a lot of independence, meet a lot of people, to give myself a unique competitive edge for the top law schools.
                        5) I live in America, my SO lives in China. Aside from going back for my scholarships, our best and practically ONLY bet for seeing each other once a year is that my relatives in China would like me back yearly. If I don't go back, he currently does not have the means to come here. Add in China's wacky visa laws, and he really doesn't have the means to come here for probably 3-4+ more years? Thus, if I don't go back this summer, and I don't get my scholarships at all...I'm not going to see him for 3 years?!?!...

These are the facts. My heart is calling for me to go back(it finally accepted the idea of a year in between, now it is absolutely balking at 1.5 yrs), and I'm frantically scrambling for other ideas to get myself more on the resume. I know that if it came down to it that an internship this summer was critical, I would eventually accept it had to be that way. But right now I sort of don't want to accept this defeat until defeat slaps me in the face and says no.

ETA: oh, and the problem with an internship in China is that I need to be back by July for a LSAT prep course in my area. Seeing as how crucial the LSAT score is, that was non-negotiable. Thus my plan was to originally go right after my semester ends May 20th or so, come back by the end of June, and spend the rest of the summer on LSATS or a part time job(given as I lack experience period, maybe I can skew something like sales to be resume boosting anyways). But I just worried over the possibility that that plan was not enough.

Comment

Okay, hopefully I've gotten the facts straight....

Why can't you just go to China to be with your SO and do volunteer work while you are there? I know it's only a month but it would at least be something to add to your resume.

What exactly are you wanting this internship for? Is it because you want the experience or you want something on your CV? Do you think that not having an internship on your CV will hinder your chances of getting a Fulbright/Rotary or getting into Law School?
                          To me, this decision depends on how "empty" your resume is. I know Fulbright and Rotary are competitive but if you have international experience, plus the internship you had in China, plus a rocking essay, plus maybe some extra volunteer experience...then you should be in!
                          Also you are only taking 12 credits/semester next year so why not get a part time internship while you are in school? I did an internship my senior year and worked and volunteered and because I was only taking 12 credits, it really didn't seem that busy.

Sorry there are so many questions.

Comment

The volunteering in China sounds promising, and like something I would genuinely like to do. Problem is I have NO CLUE how to find something like that! Especially that short term!

I both want the experience and something on my CV. Ideally I would want law clerk/legal assistant, or even secretary to a law office experience, but barring that I feel like my CV is lacking experience. My CV is pretty empty. Its only got the one internship(I did do quite a lot, but its still only for a short term), and tutoring at the school's testing center.

I have considered moving looking for internships to both fall and spring of next year, but the problem is I only see myself with forseeable time spring. I'm not quite sure whether not doing something now it will be enough to do something next spring. Next fall I'll be applying for those scholarships and law school at the same time, just in case I don't get into the scholarship I will want to go to law school immediately. Plus, I have yet to take the LSAT, and that is October, after my prep course ends in September. Next fall is plenty packed.

Comment

Working...
                            X